Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This probably goes without saying, but do new agents also see themselves trying to get tutoring help for Spanish when out of the academy? To me that seems like the best way to keep the instruction moving, even if it might be on a new agent's dime.
    "Officer, you are kinda hot."

"And you are kinda intoxicated."

Comment

• Thank you for the advice. After the first week I knew that I would have to study a great deal on my own if I was ever going to break someone. I know yelling Digame La Verdad! three times at some guy won't cut it. Once again thank you for the advice. I've already started my own independant study.

Originally posted by BigPat View Post
      This is not meant to be a criticism of you, but be aware that if you are struggling with the new Spanish program then you really will want to step up your efforts to learn Spanish on your own before you start working in the field. The non-native trainees that we have been getting that went through the new Spanish program are really struggling with Spanish. The new program is leaving the non-native speakers woefully unprepared to do the job.

The situations that you will encounter go far beyond what they can put in a few video scenarios, and they don't follow a script. I am not a native Spanish speaker myself so I understand how it is to have to learn an new language. It appears that the new Spanish program is not doing the job, and the non-native speakers are not being prepared for the job. I wish you the best of luck but I hope you take the time to work on your Spanish so that you can have a safe, productive, and successful career in the Border Patrol.

Comment

• Originally posted by Section8 View Post
        Once out of the academy, does the BP offer any Spanish learning material free or at a reduced rate, so new agents can continue to learn Spanish on their own?
        They have computer based training modules but they aren't that good and only teach a couple of phrases. They give out cheat sheets with canned phrases in Spanish but those will not help you break an alien, interview a witness, work the primary lane at a checkpoint, or understand an alien when they are in an emergency situation and are asking you for help. Also I have noticed that they aren't teaching much pronunciation in the academy anymore, so even when some guys read from those cheat sheets teh aliens can't understand them.

If you are in the guard or reserves you can order Rosetta Stone for free through AKO. Your best bet is to hire a tutor or take a college Spanish class. I would also recommend getting the old post-academy materials from somebody that has been in at least a couple of years and went through the old Spanish post-academy program. That material is pretty good and it covers a lot of the things thatyou will use on the job.
        Last edited by BigPat; 11-14-2008, 02:17 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by sap123 View Post
          This probably goes without saying, but do new agents also see themselves trying to get tutoring help for Spanish when out of the academy? To me that seems like the best way to keep the instruction moving, even if it might be on a new agent's dime.
          Many agents who have trouble with Spanish do this. Sadly, with the new Spanish program, it might come down to the point where most non-native speakers will have to do this.

Comment

• Originally posted by SHU View Post
            Thank you for the advice. After the first week I knew that I would have to study a great deal on my own if I was ever going to break someone. I know yelling Digame La Verdad! three times at some guy won't cut it. Once again thank you for the advice. I've already started my own independant study.
            Breaking people is a skill that you will learn with time. If other agents see that you are trying they will usually help you with spanish. However, if you don't makethe effort to learn and simply rely on native speakers to do your job, you will not be received well among your peers. It sounds like you have a good attitude and you should do well if you try and learn the language on your own.

I am just trying to warn all the non-native speakers out there that from what I have seen so far, the new Spanish program is not preparing new agents to do the job effectively.

Comment

• Does anyone know what the chances are for being placed in Texas after the academy. Also I don't plan on living in the city of my perm assignment but I want to know which along the Texas border has surrounding cities with the best living conditions?

Comment

• Originally posted by TXCountySheriff View Post
                Does anyone know what the chances are for being placed in Texas after the academy.
                If you accept an offer for a TX station its somewhere around 100%... you are assigned to a station when you get called.

Comment

• i think what he means is are they giving alot of offers to Texas right now or are most new agents going to AZ or NM?

Comment

• Originally posted by TXCountySheriff View Post
                    Does anyone know what the chances are for being placed in Texas after the academy. Also I don't plan on living in the city of my perm assignment but I want to know which along the Texas border has surrounding cities with the best living conditions?
                    I've visited my brother at both cities in Tx where he has worked and Both look to me as good enough living places, not deserted citites in the middle of nowhere. Eagle Pass and Del Rio
                    BPA:
                    Written Test: Passed (97%)
                    Reactivated Feb 09
                    Pre-Employment Forms: Completed
                    Qualifications: Qualified GL-7
                    Medical Exam: Completed
                    Drug Test: Completed
                    Fitness: Completed
                    Oral Board: Completedhttp://img339.imageshack.us/img339/6315/dancing.gif
                    Background Investigation: Completed

IEA ICE
                    Written Test: Passed (80% )
                    Oral Interview: Passed 07/14/09
                    Paperwork Sent In And No Idea When I'll Get An Answer

Comment

• so, i have been scheduled for the written test next month and i received the info. package in the mail. i read through it and saw that the test is slated for 4 rs and change. does anyone know how many question are in the test? do they have like 200-300 of fairly understandable question? or is it 50-100 complicated, 10 mins per question type of deal?

Comment

• When I took it it was 3 parts
                        1st part analytical reasoning hardest part IMO 30-33 questions I think, and I think it was like 35-40 minutes

2nd Part Spanish, I breezed through that one because Spanish is my first language Dont remember how many question were there Maybe 30-40 more

And 3rd part is a part where they ask you stuff like: How would your friends consider you when it comes to working under pressure and you pick what you think your friends/teachers/ co-workers would say

Good Luck
                        BPA:
                        Written Test: Passed (97%)
                        Reactivated Feb 09
                        Pre-Employment Forms: Completed
                        Qualifications: Qualified GL-7
                        Medical Exam: Completed
                        Drug Test: Completed
                        Fitness: Completed
                        Oral Board: Completedhttp://img339.imageshack.us/img339/6315/dancing.gif
                        Background Investigation: Completed

IEA ICE
                        Written Test: Passed (80% )
                        Oral Interview: Passed 07/14/09
                        Paperwork Sent In And No Idea When I'll Get An Answer

Comment

• so then why do they say that the test will be slated for 4 hrs. i guess maybe they do an orientation that day too? well eitther thanks for the info.

Comment

• Originally posted by steel113 View Post
                            so then why do they say that the test will be slated for 4 hrs. i guess maybe they do an orientation that day too? well eitther thanks for the info.
                            If you're going to a compressed testing center, then yes, you will be getting your TO and all the accompanying paperwork, provided you pass the test. If you're not going to a compressed testing center, there won't be anything to do afterwards, and you'll go home and wait for some good news to come through the mail. Good luck.

Comment

• The test may take 4 hours due to the fact that it may actually take a person 4 hours to complete the entire test. As stated earlier, each section has a time limit. When you add up the time limits for the three sections, the total time comes close to 4 hours. If a person finishes the last section early, he/she usually may leave.

Unless you are in a rush to be somewhere, I recommend you keep working on a section until the max time is reached. Even if you finish a section early, you should do the section again to make sure your answers are correct. Sure it looks 'cool' to be the first to finish a section. Yet, it is much better to get the best score possible.
                              BPA Status
                              TSU: 04/24/09
                              EOD: 10/12/09, Sierra Blanca, TX
                              Resigned: 10/28/09
                              Reapplied: 07/29/11
                              NOR: 08/24/11, 5 & 7 @ 93 (no Vet pref)
                              TSL1: 12/16/11, forms sent
                              PFT1: scheduled for 02/03/12
                              Oral Board: scheduled for 02/03/12

CBPO Status
                              Applied: 06/24/11
                              Written: 07/21/11
                              NOR: 08/30/11, 5 & 7 @ 94 (no Vet pref)

Comment

• Originally posted by Section8 View Post
                                Unless you are in a rush to be somewhere, I recommend you keep working on a section until the max time is reached. Even if you finish a section early, you should do the section again to make sure your answers are correct. Sure it looks 'cool' to be the first to finish a section. Yet, it is much better to get the best score possible.
                                Very good advice. When I took the test and finished a certain portion, I went back and checked all my answers to make sure they were the ones I wanted. Sure enough, found a few mistakes where I either marked the wrong bubble, or accidentally skipped one and then the rest of the answers could have been marked wrong! If you still go to high school, perhaps it does still look cool to finish early. However on a day like this, you might feel a bit cooler if you actually get a job offer.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4116 users online. 202 members and 3914 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X