300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by merlin436 View Post
    Neither. "1896" is your magic number for BPA.
    well it would have been nice to be able to apply anywhere as a special agent, but i guess i can see the logic behind BPA being more police than investigators. i was just being hopeful.

Comment

• Originally posted by steel113 View Post
      well it would have been nice to be able to apply anywhere as a special agent, but i guess i can see the logic behind BPA being more police than investigators. i was just being hopeful.
      Who says you can't apply for other gigs besides a BPA job?
      "Officer, you are kinda hot."

"And you are kinda intoxicated."

Comment

• I think he's saying he wants "Special Agent" in front of his name because he thinks it will look better when he applies to other agencies.

(I like not having heavy handed moderators breathing down our neck on this forum, but the quality of writing on this thread, in particular, is lacking. I'm not talking about misspelled words and lack of capilization - although that is annoying, too -- but simple composition. You don't see the same problem on the DS thread, for example. So consider this a simple request from one applicant to another to be more professional and spend a second writing complete sentences and making sure your posts are intelligible to others. )
        Last edited by Tirofijo; 11-12-2008, 07:33 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tirofijo View Post
          I think he's saying he wants "Special Agent" in front of his name because he thinks it will look better when he applies to other agencies.
          I sensed that as well, I just wanted to point out that if you were really looking for the 'special agent' title, well heck, you might as well apply out. At worst they bounce you, and you hack it out another day.
          "Officer, you are kinda hot."

"And you are kinda intoxicated."

Comment

I think he's saying he wants "Special Agent" in front of his name because he thinks it will look better when he applies to other agencies.

(I like not having heavy handed moderators breathing down our neck on this forum, but the quality of writing on this thread, in particular, is lacking. I'm not talking about misspelled words and lack of capilization - although that is annoying, too -- but simple composition. You don't see the same problem on the DS thread, for example. So consider this a simple request from one applicant to another to be more professional and spend a second writing complete sentences and making sure your posts are intelligible to others. )

If you think this thread is bad, when you see some of the people the patrol is hiring, you will go into clinical depression. Not everybody is bad but you can look at most people here at ART and tell what agency they work for by their dress, jailhouse tats on their neck and hands and level of maturity.

Comment

• Originally posted by SHU View Post
              If you think this thread is bad, when you see some of the people the patrol is hiring, you will go into clinical depression. Not everybody is bad but you can look at most people here at ART and tell what agency they work for by their dress, jailhouse tats on their neck and hands and level of maturity.
              hell if thats the case then i shouldn't have an issue getting to TSU..

Comment

• Reactivate

Since I did not pass the fitness test, I was deactivated. After a few months of working-out, I am almost ready to reactivate. However, I would like to obtain an idea of what the reactivation process entails. Has anyone here reactivated? If yes, would you reply with how it went for you?
                BPA Status
                TSU: 04/24/09
                EOD: 10/12/09, Sierra Blanca, TX
                Resigned: 10/28/09
                Reapplied: 07/29/11
                NOR: 08/24/11, 5 & 7 @ 93 (no Vet pref)
                TSL1: 12/16/11, forms sent
                PFT1: scheduled for 02/03/12
                Oral Board: scheduled for 02/03/12

CBPO Status
                Applied: 06/24/11
                Written: 07/21/11
                NOR: 08/30/11, 5 & 7 @ 94 (no Vet pref)

Comment

• The reason that I was asking about the SA position is because of the fact that with my qualifications I won't get the job. I'm missing a B.A. degree which seem almost require by most jobs.

on another note it seems like the sensitivity level of people on this board is fairly high, being that one can't even have an idea and ask a question about it. Maybe I am mistaken but I do believe that's what this board is intended for. So that candidates that are looking to get in can ask question of those who are in and become enlighten.

Comment

• Originally posted by steel113 View Post
                    The reason that I was asking about the SA position is because of the fact that with my qualifications I won't get the job. I'm missing a B.A. degree which seem almost require by most jobs.
                    Even if BPAs had "special agent" as part of their title, it wouldn't help you get a job as an 1811. You don't have a college degree, which is either a stated or implied requirement for the vast majority of 1811 jobs. Being called a "Special Agent" rather than just Agent doesn't change that.

Originally posted by steel113 View Post
                    on another note it seems like the sensitivity level of people on this board is fairly high, being that one can't even have an idea and ask a question about it. Maybe I am mistaken but I do believe that's what this board is intended for. So that candidates that are looking to get in can ask question of those who are in and become enlighten.
                    I believe I am the only one that has mentioned the poor grammar here if that is what you are referring to. If you don't want to take the time to write in a way that people can understand your questions, it's no skin off my teeth. Keep in mind that I responded to your post after someone else read it and misunderstood it and replied. (It wasn't that person's fault and he was only trying to help. It was your fault for writing poorly.)

I made a general observation about the level of writing on this board. It should not come as a suprise that agencies that require college degrees (and in general have higher hiring standards) would have more intelligent threads than an agency that allows anyone of the street to apply. (That statement leaves open the possibility that after weeding out those that don't pass the written, OB and BI, the writing standard on this thread might improve.)

If you are referring to current BPAs being concern about the quality and character of current applicants, then don't you think they have a reason to care?
                    Last edited by Tirofijo; 11-13-2008, 10:15 AM.

Comment

Even if BPAs had "special agent" as part of their title, it wouldn't help you get a job as an 1811. You don't have a college degree, which is either a stated or implied requirement for the vast majority of 1811 jobs. Being called a "Special Agent" rather than just Agent doesn't change that.
                      On the flip side, one can pick up an "1811" job where he won't be a "Special Agent". Postal Inspectors and US Marshals...just to name a couple.
                      Last edited by merlin436; 11-13-2008, 01:45 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by merlin436 View Post
                        On the flip side, one can pick up an "1811" job where he won't be a "Special Agent". Postal Inspectors and US Marshals...just to name a couple.
                        I'm an ICE 1811 applicant, too, and all of the official correspondence that I have seen refers to the position as "criminal investigator." It made me wonder for a few minutes if "special agent" was their official title or not. Then I found something better to do.
                        Last edited by Tirofijo; 11-13-2008, 02:24 PM.

Comment

If you don't want to take the time to write in a way that people can understand your questions, it's no skin off my teeth.
                          You have skin on your teeth? I've heard a similar reference, however it doesn't involve teeth

Comment

• Originally posted by Greg T View Post
                            You have skin on your teeth? I've heard a similar reference, however it doesn't involve teeth

It's an idiomatic expression that probably originated in the South that's synonomous with the one you are thinking of. Yes, it's a mixed metaphor but the language of the South has a lot of character so we can overlook that.

Comment

• Originally posted by SHU View Post
                              I'm in the spanish program at the academy and it moves at a decent pace. I'm one of the worst students in class, as far as picking it up, and I'm getting by. I had no formal training in spanish before coming here so it is a struggle for me as far as saying the words properly. Most people in my class have a background in spanish from their home life or school so it sucks being one of the few who always feel lost. When I leave here I will not really know spanish but I will know BP spanish to function as a BPA (t) as far as making arrests, car stops, and basic questioning of aliens to fill out the forms. I plan on doing a lot more studying on my own after the academy to feel more confident in doing the job. If you study here you will likely pass the course but you still will need to study more on your own to be succesful in the job. Its just like PT and firearms training here. They give you the basics and it is up to you to continue to practice your trade. Bueno Suerte
                              This is not meant to be a criticism of you, but be aware that if you are struggling with the new Spanish program then you really will want to step up your efforts to learn Spanish on your own before you start working in the field. The non-native trainees that we have been getting that went through the new Spanish program are really struggling with Spanish. The new program is leaving the non-native speakers woefully unprepared to do the job.

The situations that you will encounter go far beyond what they can put in a few video scenarios, and they don't follow a script. I am not a native Spanish speaker myself so I understand how it is to have to learn an new language. It appears that the new Spanish program is not doing the job, and the non-native speakers are not being prepared for the job. I wish you the best of luck but I hope you take the time to work on your Spanish so that you can have a safe, productive, and successful career in the Border Patrol.

Comment

• Originally posted by BigPat View Post
                                ...be aware that if you are struggling with the new Spanish program then you really will want to step up your efforts to learn Spanish on your own before you start working in the field.
                                Once out of the academy, does the BP offer any Spanish learning material free or at a reduced rate, so new agents can continue to learn Spanish on their own?
                                BPA Status
                                TSU: 04/24/09
                                EOD: 10/12/09, Sierra Blanca, TX
                                Resigned: 10/28/09
                                Reapplied: 07/29/11
                                NOR: 08/24/11, 5 & 7 @ 93 (no Vet pref)
                                TSL1: 12/16/11, forms sent
                                PFT1: scheduled for 02/03/12
                                Oral Board: scheduled for 02/03/12

CBPO Status
                                Applied: 06/24/11
                                Written: 07/21/11
                                NOR: 08/30/11, 5 & 7 @ 94 (no Vet pref)

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5331 users online. 411 members and 4920 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X