Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just check the cass website and everything is completed. Just waiting for the EOD and PF2! Took the exam last year in October, hope everyone process is going well like mine. Anyone know the chances of me getting a California sector or the best sector in Cali?
    NYPD
    Exam #: 8132
    List #: 10xx
    Medical: - Completed
    Written Psych: Completed
    BI: 3/13/12- Completed
    Oral Psych:3/26/12 Completed
    JST: 3/31/12-Completed
    Mini Med-Completed

Comment

• Thanks for all of your feedback

Originally posted by Verve10 View Post
      So I've got a TO for both CBPO and BPA, and I am, of course, working dilligently to get a phone call for each agency. I have worked in DHS and Federal LE for numerous years. HOWEVER, I have not worked with/for/near/ or anything to do with CBPO's and/or BPA. All that I know of these positions is what I have read and researched online, or in case studies. THIS IS WHERE YOU COME IN: would some vets of each agency be able to tell me what they believe the better agency to work at, for long term is....and why? I believe that I have my personal ideas, but I have read about soooo many people that have left one agency for another. I want to know WHY? What is it that made them want to leave and/or desire to go to the other agency.

Now, to all those Dr McSmartipants' out there that love to act all salty and crab about a new guy on this forum asking redundant questions...well I am truly sorry ahead of time. But with an average of 15-20 posts per page and the incredibly vast number of pages there are in this forum...I figured that some folks with experience and knowledge might just wanna help out a fellow officer make a well informed descision. Or at least point me in the direction of some useful info. Thanks so much for understanding. And thank you to all that reply.
      Thanks all for your feedback. Some of it was incredibly insightful, thanks for the BP spouses link. That was a huge help. Some of it...well...I still wonder why some people even post. I of course know that the choice is mine, and that in the end it is my descision alone to make. I must however point out that my original hopes were to grab some insider info from someone that has made the shift and seen both sides of the fence. One can research to their hearts delight, and NEVER fully see the beast for its real self until they are inside and operating in it. In every department, agency, group, clandestine guru group, or sherpa stronghold, (or whatever we wanna name em) there are quirks that could make or break your heart for working within them. I have worked with teams conducting narco raids in foreign countries, and still to this day miss the guys that had my back and I theirs. My current agency tends to be a joke. Even though some speak of it as a nice place to be in fed LE...in totall honesty, it worries me. The low level of training, expectations, and overall lack of excellence always seems to shock me. Even after I've been here for a couple of years. I look into one organization, and they appear by all respects to be a decent bunch...only to find out from a friend on the inside, that they are as big a joke as my current agency. I just dont want to keep jumping...ya know? I wanna find that good fit...where my team mates give a $#!T like I do, and we all work our asses off...not just for the agency, but for each other...for whom we want to be. I've spent my years running and gunning. So I'm not looking for that adrenaline anymore...I love it...dont get me wrong. But I dont NEED it anymore. But I also DO want to be a part of a team that demands excellence of each other. That challenges me to be a better officer and better ME.

Ugh! Maybe I just need to let go of yesteryear and except the fact that my glory days are behind me now, and maybe just be happy working with a team that is less than excited to be there.
      Last edited by Verve10; 10-07-2011, 08:40 PM.
      CBPO
      Exam: 07/11; NOR: 8/11 99 w/Vet Pts; Qualifications: (GS-7 Step 4); T.O: 09/11 (SWB); PFT1: 9/11; Med Cleared: 4/12; VBT/S.I.: 10/11; Drug Test: Passed 6/11; Poly: Passed 12/08/11; BI: Complete 12/28/11, PFT2: Passed 12/12/12, EOD: 12/31/12 San Ysidro

Comment

• Originally posted by emack23 View Post
        You and I have been on the same boat for a while, had my BI back in April too and have also lost a significant amount of weight with my 1.5mile going from 17:50 last year to 13:30 so yeah I'm still working hard to improve it but like you said this wait is a time to use as a preparation for the PFT2.
        Use this time you have right now to prepare as best as you can. If you're barely meeting the PFT2 standards right now, you are in for a world of hurt at the academy.
        BPA
        Written Exam: 8/24/10
        TO: 8/15/10
        Interview: 11/03/10
        Medical: 03/11/11
        BI meeting 05/11
        PFT2 09/02/11
        EOD 09/12/11

Comment

• Originally posted by bchang85 View Post
          Use this time you have right now to prepare as best as you can. If you're barely meeting the PFT2 standards right now, you are in for a world of hurt at the academy.
          I took and passed the test in September 2010 in Cali and am waiting for IA to get me a poly date, bchang, have you not updated your signature, or did you hit a snag at backgrounds?

Comment

• Originally posted by Verve10 View Post
            Thanks all for your feedback. Some of it was incredibly insightful, thanks for the BP spouses link. That was a huge help. Some of it...well...I still wonder why some people even post. I of course know that the choice is mine, and that in the end it is my descision alone to make. I must however point out that my original hopes were to grab some insider info from someone that has made the shift and seen both sides of the fence. One can research to their hearts delight, and NEVER fully see the beast for its real self until they are inside and operating in it. In every department, agency, group, clandestine guru group, or sherpa stronghold, (or whatever we wanna name em) there are quirks that could make or break your heart for working within them. I have worked with teams conducting narco raids in foreign countries, and still to this day miss the guys that had my back and I theirs. My current agency tends to be a joke. Even though some speak of it as a nice place to be in fed LE...in totall honesty, it worries me. The low level of training, expectations, and overall lack of excellence always seems to shock me. Even after I've been here for a couple of years. I look into one organization, and they appear by all respects to be a decent bunch...only to find out from a friend on the inside, that they are as big a joke as my current agency. I just dont want to keep jumping...ya know? I wanna find that good fit...where my team mates give a $#!T like I do, and we all work our asses off...not just for the agency, but for each other...for whom we want to be. I've spent my years running and gunning. So I'm not looking for that adrenaline anymore...I love it...dont get me wrong. But I dont NEED it anymore. But I also DO want to be a part of a team that demands excellence of each other. That challenges me to be a better officer and better ME.

Ugh! Maybe I just need to let go of yesteryear and except the fact that my glory days are behind me now, and maybe just be happy working with a team that is less than excited to be there.

I guess you completely missed the point of my earlier reply to you. You are comparing two very different jobs. I don't think there is anybody who posts regularly on here that has worked for both Customs and the BP. I know there are some people that have made the switch from BP to Customs or vice-versa, but the numbers are small. The two jobs are very different, different enough that you are the only one that will know which job is right for you.

There is a whole more to both jobs then you will see on a show like "Border Wars". OFO doesn't just work at land-border POEs like they show on "Border Wars", they have OFO guys at seaports, airports and mail facilities too. For me personally, the thought of working at an airport or seaport is why I never applied to or even considered applying to Customs. Yet I have met people who work for Customs who have worked at seaports and such and loved it. Again, it depends on what you are looking for a job, and no stranger on the internet is going to know which job is the best fit for you.

Border patrol works the traffic that goes around POEs. Customs works at POEs. That is the big difference. If you are interested in doing roving patrol work/traffic stops/hiking around tracking groups then you would want to go BP. If you would rather work out of a POE then you are better off going Customs. BP drug seizures are primarily marijuana. It seems like usually customs catches more of the expensive drugs like cocaine, heroin, etc because those drugs are normally smuggled through a POE. When the BP does catch drugs other than marijuana it is usually at a checkpoint. One thing about Customs is that there are a lot more locations to choose from than with the Border Patrol, which is a big deal to many people.

Realize that traffic for the Border Patrol is down nationwide, and things are not nearly as crazy as they used to be. That doesn't mean that nothing happens though- I had quite an eventful shift today. Just understand that some stations are very slow and you could get stuck some days sitting at an x by the border watching the fence rust. Those videos that were posted on the previous page of this thread are a lot more realistic than anything you will see on "Border Wars" and they do show the crazy stuff that can happen on this job, even though that type of stuff does not happen quite as often as it used to.

From your last post it seems as if you are not quite sure yourself what you are looking for in a job. Just follow through with both applications until you figure it out. Good luck with whatever you choose.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheSentinel View Post
              I took and passed the test in September 2010 in Cali and am waiting for IA to get me a poly date, bchang, have you not updated your signature, or did you hit a snag at backgrounds?
              Timeline updated. I'm at the academy right now, just finished week 3.
              Last edited by bchang85; 10-09-2011, 01:29 AM.
              BPA
              Written Exam: 8/24/10
              TO: 8/15/10
              Interview: 11/03/10
              Medical: 03/11/11
              BI meeting 05/11
              PFT2 09/02/11
              EOD 09/12/11

Comment

• Originally posted by BigPat View Post
                I guess you completely missed the point of my earlier reply to you. You are comparing two very different jobs...From your last post it seems as if you are not quite sure yourself what you are looking for in a job. Just follow through with both applications until you figure it out. Good luck with whatever you choose.
                BigPat,

You are quite kind for continuing to help me understand this. I think that I did a poor job of asking my questions. So, in an attempt to be more clear (and much less sublte), I have sent you a PM. I think that my questions will make more sense in there. Thanks again.

V10
                CBPO
                Exam: 07/11; NOR: 8/11 99 w/Vet Pts; Qualifications: (GS-7 Step 4); T.O: 09/11 (SWB); PFT1: 9/11; Med Cleared: 4/12; VBT/S.I.: 10/11; Drug Test: Passed 6/11; Poly: Passed 12/08/11; BI: Complete 12/28/11, PFT2: Passed 12/12/12, EOD: 12/31/12 San Ysidro

Comment

• BigPAT, yeah maybe I should have put a disclaimer on the videos that I posted. "Made more than five years ago." To try and make a video like that these days, to be able to accumulate all of that material would take quite a lot of time. Its been super slow over here, and has been for the past 3 or so years.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wunneet View Post
                    BigPAT, yeah maybe I should have put a disclaimer on the videos that I posted. "Made more than five years ago." To try and make a video like that these days, to be able to accumulate all of that material would take quite a lot of time. Its been super slow over here, and has been for the past 3 or so years.
                    It is slow pretty much everywhere now. Even though those videos you posted are from when we were a lot busier, I still think that they give people a better idea of what the job can be like than something like "Border Wars".

Comment

• Haven't been on the forum in a while so thought I would update my hiring process
                      If anyone is at about the same time line as me I would like to hear from you to see what awaits me or if anyone also has questions I can give you some insight as well

Applied:9/29/10
                      Tested:10/21/10
                      NOR:10/25/10 85%
                      TO:1/12/11
                      Oral board:3/8/11 PASSED
                      Medical/Physical:4/26/11 PASSED
                      Drug test:8/11/11 PASSED
                      BI:9/26/11 STILL WAITING ON RESULTS
                      EOD:???
                      pft2:???
                      Last edited by stevenlee49; 10-10-2011, 06:30 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rinzler View Post
                        No calls are going out right now wih now entire fiscal 2012 budget.
                        bummer...thanks for the update!

Comment

• Originally posted by Rinzler View Post
                          Calls for Nov 7th EODs are starting to go out. They seem to all be for Texas. They will continue on the trend of an academy class every 2 weeks. We'll see if more calls go out 2 weeks from now. Definitely not the same 4 classes every 2 weeks during the summer.
                          any hiring is good news

Comment

• hello all. I called IA to check the status of my app. My case has been in the security office since June.
                            IA told me that they sent an "e-file request" to another federal agency and they are still waiting for a response. They sent the request back in July. they said there is nothing they can do to expedite the process. is there any thing i can do on my part? any help would be great.
                            USBP
                            Written Exam: 09-29-10
                            NOR: 10/02/10
                            TO: 12/20/10
                            OB: Jan 2011
                            PFT1/Medical: April 2011
                            Drug Test: Waiting
                            BI Interview: 7/11/11

Comment

• Originally posted by devilzrule View Post
                              hello all. I called IA to check the status of my app. My case has been in the security office since June.
                              IA told me that they sent an "e-file request" to another federal agency and they are still waiting for a response. They sent the request back in July. they said there is nothing they can do to expedite the process. is there any thing i can do on my part? any help would be great.
                              Nope it's out of your hands. Nothing you can do but sit back and relax. This is one of the many reasons the BI's can take 6-9 months.

Comment

• I just signed up for the written and noticed under this link they said there were many vacancies in the northern sector?

It was last updated 8/12/11 but it only gave me the first four for geographic preference along the Southwest Border, not those along the Northern Border?

Gov't just didn't update the website or what?

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...ence-on-border
                                Last edited by Melson; 10-11-2011, 06:59 PM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8515 users online. 385 members and 8130 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X