300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "I am also wondering what is the type of duty weapon that BPA's carry?"

According to the honorfirst.com website the issued weapon is the HK P2000 in .40 S&W

Comment

• About the northern border question I think you have to start at the south border, then after the 2 year probation you may apply according to openings to wherever you want to go and then you wait until something opens up.

I failed my OB, if i hadnt I think i'd already be at the academy and my process was one of the fastest ever according to my BI, too bad I messed up
      Anyways ICE Package just got here and im about to send it this week hopefully that one goes better for me, AND the ICE job would be here in PR
      BPA:
      Written Test: Passed (97%)
      Reactivated Feb 09
      Pre-Employment Forms: Completed
      Qualifications: Qualified GL-7
      Medical Exam: Completed
      Drug Test: Completed
      Fitness: Completed
      Oral Board: Completedhttp://img339.imageshack.us/img339/6315/dancing.gif
      Background Investigation: Completed

IEA ICE
      Written Test: Passed (80% )
      Oral Interview: Passed 07/14/09
      Paperwork Sent In And No Idea When I'll Get An Answer

Comment

• Originally posted by BPA2Be View Post
        About the northern border question I think you have to start at the south border, then after the 2 year probation you may apply according to openings to wherever you want to go and then you wait until something opens up.

I failed my OB, if i hadnt I think i'd already be at the academy and my process was one of the fastest ever according to my BI, too bad I messed up
        Anyways ICE Package just got here and im about to send it this week hopefully that one goes better for me, AND the ICE job would be here in PR

yes normally you would start out like that, working the south and transfering to the north...

but they say for a while you were able to apply directly for a northern sector, i guess i just missed the deadline to apply

Comment

• Originally posted by movalqb View Post
          Is there anyway to check on the status, by calling someone? I had some medical issues with some past surgery. Just got cleared. could that hamper it?

i suspose you could call but i wouldn't, don't worry they aren't going to forget about you...other then cass online or on the phone you could always e-mail DHS.. in your packet you got @ the testing site is the e-mail addresses which goes by your first letter of your last name,there quick to respond

Comment

• I would rateher work the southern border. I wouldn't want to leave Texas right now though. Does anybody know what the Alaskan border is like. I've always wanted to work in Alaska at some point?
            Last edited by TXCountySheriff; 11-08-2008, 04:04 PM.

Comment

• Quick question for everyone. I'm getting a little paranoid. I just checked the online cass system and it says they haven't received my background packet yet. I sent it almost a month ago. Is cass usually kind of slow to update? I just want to make sure they received it. I've tried calling recruiters and leaving a message for the hiring center but I haven't received a phone call back. Just started to get a little paranoid since I've made it pretty far through the process. Also, does anyone know of any truth to Border Patrol actually meeting their hiring goals as stated in a few posts up? Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

-Matt

Comment

• You've learned the lesson of sending everything by certified mail with return reciept.

Comment

• Originally posted by madchiken View Post
                  You've learned the lesson of sending everything by certified mail with return reciept.
                  And then emailing them a few days later to confirm that they've received it when USPS says they have. None of my stuff ever got lost this way.
                  "Officer, you are kinda hot."

"And you are kinda intoxicated."

Comment

• In the event my stuff was indeed lost, what would the next step be? Contact a recruiter and ask for the background packet? This sounds like it's going to be a huge mess if my stuff was actually lost. Just hoping for the best now. All I have to say is lesson learned.

Comment

• You do realize that they are working on several thousand other applicants as well, right? These things take time, if they hadn't received it they would have removed you from processing.

Comment

• Some help

Howdy, ya'll.

Just thought I'd share a few nuggets of info with ya'll to help out.

1. More Information. Honorfirst.com and it's associated forum have a great deal of information. Please feel free to check it out. Please pay close attention to the rules of the forum.

2. Initial Duty Assignments. When you applied, you were asked to select a geographic preference not a specific state, sector, or station. Sometimes these can encompass more than one state and they all encompass more than one sector.

For example: The El Paso Sector falls within the West Texas/New Mexico Geographic Preference. The El Paso Sector has the Ft. Hancock Station, Fabens Station, Ysleta Station, El Paso Station, Santa Teresa Station, Las Cruces Station, Truth or Consequences Station, Deming Station, and Lordsburg Station. There are one or two interior stations that might show up on a sector map or list, but you won’t be offered those stations. The last five stations on that list are in New Mexico.

The hiring unit will attempt to offer you a station within your geographic preference, but if nothing is available, you’ll get offered what is available. If you must decline an offer due to an impending birth, finishing college, medical reasons, etc. tell the person who calls with your offer; they may defer your offer until the reason has passed. It’s case by case, so you roll the dice.

3. Ports of Entry vs. Stations. The Border Patrol does not work at ports. We take care of business between the ports. You may work near a Port of Entry, you may even respond to requests for assistance from a POE. Chances are you will not be working at a POE. If you are hearing or seeing a lot of references to working at ports in your paperwork, you may be attempting to get a job as a Customs Officer rather than a Border Patrol Agent. Pay attention, they’re very different jobs.

4. Vehicles and Equipment. The vast majority of Border Patrol Agents do not have take home rides. Some do. Chances are, if you are assigned to the southern border, you won’t have a take home ride for several years. You’ll know the criteria for one by the time you’re eligible. Vehicles are issued out at the beginning of shift generally based on seniority. While you’re junior, you’ll get older, crappier rides. As you gain seniority, you’ll get assigned better rides and get more “perks”.

We are provided with our uniforms and given a somewhat generous uniform allowance to replace worn items. You’ll only be able to spend your allowance at the vendor’s website. If it’s not offered by the vendor and you can’t live without it, you have to buy it and you won’t be reimbursed. Examples of this are boots and various gear items. Holsters will also fall into this category. If you don’t like the one the Patrol gives you, you’ll have to buy your own.

When you begin firearms training at the Academy, you’ll be assigned your very own H&K P2000 in .40cal. You’ll shoot that pistol throughout the Academy and when you graduate, it will be issued to you. You aren’t allowed to modify the pistol in any way, nor are you allowed go carry your own personal weapon. A lot of people seem to have issues with this. That’s the way it is, you’ll have to deal with it. All stations have long arms available for issue. The policy on their issuance varies widely from station to station. You’ll find out when you get there. The long arms used by the Patrol are the M4 carbine in various models, Scattergun Technologies 12 ga. Shotguns, and at some stations, UMP-40 sub machine guns. Other equipment is available for issue as well, GPS, Night Vision, etc. Again, this will vary depending on what Station you’re assigned to.

5. Special Assignments. You won’t be eligible for a special assignment until after you complete your probationary period. Selections are also based on seniority somewhat. Special Units such as BORTAC, BORSTAR, and SRT are applied for and you must get through the selection process. To say that the selection process is tough and physically demanding is somewhat of an understatement. Other special assignments will vary from Station to Station and Sector to Sector. I could list some that we have at my station and they might not be available at the Station where others are.

6. The Northern Border. In 2008 there was an announcement for people to initially be stationed on the northern border. If you did not apply under this specific announcement, you will not be offered a Station on the northern border. If you did, you’ll work for a time on the southern border (I can’t remember how long.) then you’ll move to your permanent station. Transfers are complicated and not a sure thing. Just because you put in for one, doesn’t mean you’ll get one, if they even remain available in the future. Plan on spending a long, long time at the Station that you get offered, like your whole career long time, everybody with me on this? Will there be more Northern Border Announcements in the future? Your guess is as good as mine.

OKAY. That’s about all I got at the moment. If you have any questions, please do a detailed search of the Honorfirst forums. If you can’t find it there, look again. If you still can’t find it, then let me know.

Good luck on your applications.

Comment

• Originally posted by Solohammer View Post
                          Howdy, ya'll.

Just thought I'd share a few nuggets of info with ya'll to help out.

1. More Information. Honorfirst.com and it's associated forum have a great deal of information. Please feel free to check it out. Please pay close attention to the rules of the forum.

2. Initial Duty Assignments. When you applied, you were asked to select a geographic preference not a specific state, sector, or station. Sometimes these can encompass more than one state and they all encompass more than one sector.

For example: The El Paso Sector falls within the West Texas/New Mexico Geographic Preference. The El Paso Sector has the Ft. Hancock Station, Fabens Station, Ysleta Station, El Paso Station, Santa Teresa Station, Las Cruces Station, Truth or Consequences Station, Deming Station, and Lordsburg Station. There are one or two interior stations that might show up on a sector map or list, but you won’t be offered those stations. The last five stations on that list are in New Mexico.

The hiring unit will attempt to offer you a station within your geographic preference, but if nothing is available, you’ll get offered what is available. If you must decline an offer due to an impending birth, finishing college, medical reasons, etc. tell the person who calls with your offer; they may defer your offer until the reason has passed. It’s case by case, so you roll the dice.

3. Ports of Entry vs. Stations. The Border Patrol does not work at ports. We take care of business between the ports. You may work near a Port of Entry, you may even respond to requests for assistance from a POE. Chances are you will not be working at a POE. If you are hearing or seeing a lot of references to working at ports in your paperwork, you may be attempting to get a job as a Customs Officer rather than a Border Patrol Agent. Pay attention, they’re very different jobs.

4. Vehicles and Equipment. The vast majority of Border Patrol Agents do not have take home rides. Some do. Chances are, if you are assigned to the southern border, you won’t have a take home ride for several years. You’ll know the criteria for one by the time you’re eligible. Vehicles are issued out at the beginning of shift generally based on seniority. While you’re junior, you’ll get older, crappier rides. As you gain seniority, you’ll get assigned better rides and get more “perks”.

We are provided with our uniforms and given a somewhat generous uniform allowance to replace worn items. You’ll only be able to spend your allowance at the vendor’s website. If it’s not offered by the vendor and you can’t live without it, you have to buy it and you won’t be reimbursed. Examples of this are boots and various gear items. Holsters will also fall into this category. If you don’t like the one the Patrol gives you, you’ll have to buy your own.

When you begin firearms training at the Academy, you’ll be assigned your very own H&K P2000 in .40cal. You’ll shoot that pistol throughout the Academy and when you graduate, it will be issued to you. You aren’t allowed to modify the pistol in any way, nor are you allowed go carry your own personal weapon. A lot of people seem to have issues with this. That’s the way it is, you’ll have to deal with it. All stations have long arms available for issue. The policy on their issuance varies widely from station to station. You’ll find out when you get there. The long arms used by the Patrol are the M4 carbine in various models, Scattergun Technologies 12 ga. Shotguns, and at some stations, UMP-40 sub machine guns. Other equipment is available for issue as well, GPS, Night Vision, etc. Again, this will vary depending on what Station you’re assigned to.

5. Special Assignments. You won’t be eligible for a special assignment until after you complete your probationary period. Selections are also based on seniority somewhat. Special Units such as BORTAC, BORSTAR, and SRT are applied for and you must get through the selection process. To say that the selection process is tough and physically demanding is somewhat of an understatement. Other special assignments will vary from Station to Station and Sector to Sector. I could list some that we have at my station and they might not be available at the Station where others are.

6. The Northern Border. In 2008 there was an announcement for people to initially be stationed on the northern border. If you did not apply under this specific announcement, you will not be offered a Station on the northern border. If you did, you’ll work for a time on the southern border (I can’t remember how long.) then you’ll move to your permanent station. Transfers are complicated and not a sure thing. Just because you put in for one, doesn’t mean you’ll get one, if they even remain available in the future. Plan on spending a long, long time at the Station that you get offered, like your whole career long time, everybody with me on this? Will there be more Northern Border Announcements in the future? Your guess is as good as mine.

OKAY. That’s about all I got at the moment. If you have any questions, please do a detailed search of the Honorfirst forums. If you can’t find it there, look again. If you still can’t find it, then let me know.

Good luck on your applications.

thats was alot of good $hit you just ran down, thanks alot for taking the time out to share

Comment

• I got a phone call on Thursday telling me that my BI was going to start and they needed to verify a few things. (SSN, DOB and some other stuff) I log on to cass today and it says that by BI is completed along with my pre-employment forms. The only thing left is my qualifications.

However, everything is starting to happen all at once, and I have three other job opportunities that are heating up. Lockheed Martin, SRA International, and, the National Air and Space Intelligence Center. I am not sure what to do at this point.

When you get the call, how long do you have before you have to accept or decline an offer?
                            BPA

Tested--8/12/2008-97%
                            Fitness---09/02/2008--Passed
                            Oral Board---8/21/2008--Passed
                            Med---09/02/2008--Passed
                            Drug Test-9/18/2008- Passed
                            Pre-Employment Forms---11/08/2008--Completed
                            Background Investigation- 11/08/2008---Passed

Quals-8/22/2008 Submitted-Pending

CBPO

Tested---98%---8/5/2008

MCIIS(Mercyhurst Institute For Intelligence Studies)

Bachelor's Degree--3.6 GPA--11/13/2008[/SIZE]

Comment

• Originally posted by momnie48 View Post
                              I got a phone call on Thursday telling me that my BI was going to start and they needed to verify a few things. (SSN, DOB and some other stuff) I log on to cass today and it says that by BI is completed along with my pre-employment forms. The only thing left is my qualifications.

However, everything is starting to happen all at once, and I have three other job opportunities that are heating up. Lockheed Martin, SRA International, and, the National Air and Space Intelligence Center. I am not sure what to do at this point.

When you get the call, how long do you have before you have to accept or decline an offer?
                              According to my Brother who is BP, they call you tell you what they got in the area you picked and you can ask for 24 hours to let them know, tell them you wanna talk it over with your family or something
                              BPA:
                              Written Test: Passed (97%)
                              Reactivated Feb 09
                              Pre-Employment Forms: Completed
                              Qualifications: Qualified GL-7
                              Medical Exam: Completed
                              Drug Test: Completed
                              Fitness: Completed
                              Oral Board: Completedhttp://img339.imageshack.us/img339/6315/dancing.gif
                              Background Investigation: Completed

IEA ICE
                              Written Test: Passed (80% )
                              Oral Interview: Passed 07/14/09
                              Paperwork Sent In And No Idea When I'll Get An Answer

Comment

• How do they deal with the moving situation? After the academy you go to your permenant duty station. What are the arrangements to move from you previous location?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11758 users online. 425 members and 11333 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X