Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just discovered that ISO NOR result will be out on October 19th, so for those who just took the test in August just wait a bit longer.

I think BPA is now on a hiring freeze, even though I saw some new job hiring posts online.

For some reason after my BI turned in my package about a month ago, he called back again and said that HQ wants additional info on me. I am getting mixed signal on what exactly they are doing here. Hiring or not hiring... I will give it until the end of this year then I will take up another job offer out of this country. (Applied since Feb 2010)

http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/...us-border-year

this is the article that says they will maintain the same amount of agents for FY 2011 to 2012.
    Last edited by yohlin2001; 10-06-2011, 04:58 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Raymart View Post
      I have been patiently waiting for a while now.... my BI was performed in April and I received an email stating that my package arrived in IA back in June...
      I have called several times since then only for them to tell me that they are waiting on one more form to be received. SO, that's that I guess...

I look at it this way, gives me more time to prepare. I have dropped 40 lbs and have gone from 18 min 1.5 mile to 13 min 1.5 mile in 7 months
      You and I have been on the same boat for a while, had my BI back in April too and have also lost a significant amount of weight with my 1.5mile going from 17:50 last year to 13:30 so yeah I'm still working hard to improve it but like you said this wait is a time to use as a preparation for the PFT2.

Comment

• Originally posted by yohlin2001 View Post
        Just discovered that ISO NOR result will be out on October 19th, so for those who just took the test in August just wait a bit longer.

I think BPA is now on a hiring freeze, even though I saw some new job hiring posts online.

For some reason after my BI turned in my package about a month ago, he called back again and said that HQ wants additional info on me. I am getting mixed signal on what exactly they are doing here. Hiring or not hiring... I will give it until the end of this year then I will take up another job offer out of this country. (Applied since Feb 2010)

http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/...us-border-year

this is the article that says they will maintain the same amount of agents for FY 2011 to 2012.
        The BP is not in a hiring freeze. There are budget issues due to the government operating on a CR but that shouldn't affect things too much, we were on a CR for half of last year and they still brought on new agents. Keep in mind that CNSnews is a hyper-partisan source, so you can take what they say about the BP with a big grain of salt.

Comment

• Originally posted by Myst View Post
          Anyone have any insight on to which sector gets the most activity, activity as in the most action (i.e WestTexas/New Mexico, South Cali, Arizona, South Texas)

I'm aware each has their share, but which has the most. From doing a little research I hear South Texas, due to the rio grande river and the large amount of private owned land along it's border.
          The geographic preference areas that you put on your applications are not the same as the actual sectors in the BP. The sectors and individual stations are all listed on CBP.gov. You can also find the arrest statistics for FY 2010 and earlier on cbp.gov as well, that will give you some idea of how traffic was up until a year ago. Right now traffic is down significantly from what it used to be. The busiest sector is still Tucson sector. The second busiest is the Rio Grande Valley (formerly McAllen) Sector.

Comment

• Originally posted by 180Degrees View Post
            There are programs where CBP is given the ability to hire "locals" for working in Northern Border locations. I know for a fact that it's been done in North Dakota/Montana and basically these people were able to leap frog the whole process due to their familiarity with those geo. locations. I wouldn't be surprised if they're still doing it. As a Northern CBPO applicant with a perfect score on my written it sure would suck to be overlooked for some local yocal who may or may not know the land better than me.

It's the Northern Border Intern Program:

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/newsroom/..._testifies.xml

This post is incorrect. The Northern Border Intern Program was for the BP only, not CBP. The northern border trainees did not "leap frog" the hiring process. They went through the same hiring process as everybody else, they just applied under the separate northern border announcement. The trainees hired under that program had to complete an FTO program at a southern border station before they went to their station up north. They also got paid per diem while they did their FTO on the southern border. The reason that the BP went to this was because they could not fill the positions through transfers, even when they offered cash bonuses. As far as I know they filled up all the positions they needed filled, so it is possible that they may never do such a program again, unless a decision is made to dramatically increase staffing on the northern border.

I don't think that program was the best idea, but I don't begrudge the people that took advantage of that program to get stationed near where they are from.

Comment

• Originally posted by Verve10 View Post
              So I've got a TO for both CBPO and BPA, and I am, of course, working dilligently to get a phone call for each agency. I have worked in DHS and Federal LE for numerous years. HOWEVER, I have not worked with/for/near/ or anything to do with CBPO's and/or BPA. All that I know of these positions is what I have read and researched online, or in case studies. THIS IS WHERE YOU COME IN: would some vets of each agency be able to tell me what they believe the better agency to work at, for long term is....and why? I believe that I have my personal ideas, but I have read about soooo many people that have left one agency for another. I want to know WHY? What is it that made them want to leave and/or desire to go to the other agency.

Now, to all those Dr McSmartipants' out there that love to act all salty and crab about a new guy on this forum asking redundant questions...well I am truly sorry ahead of time. But with an average of 15-20 posts per page and the incredibly vast number of pages there are in this forum...I figured that some folks with experience and knowledge might just wanna help out a fellow officer make a well informed descision. Or at least point me in the direction of some useful info. Thanks so much for understanding. And thank you to all that reply.
              If you have been researching both jobs then you should have an idea of the differences between the two positions. Only you will know which job is a better personal fit for you. Obviously my opinion is that BP is the better job, but I have never worked in Customs and I am biased. BP is simply a better fit for me personally. Many of the duties that Customs/OFO does just do not appeal to me. That is my personal preference though, and I am not going to sit here and talk bad about OFO. I have a lot of friends in OFO and their job is a respectable job as well. Nobody on a forum is going to know which job is the best fit for you. I will say that BP is much more LE oriented than OFO is, however, even that is changing, and the culture of OFO seems to be coming around to more of an LE rather than a customer service type of approach.

In today's job market the advice for most people is to take whichever job you get first. However, if you already have a job, you should research the jobs more thoroughly, decide which is the best fit for you, and go with that one.

Comment

• There is no hiring freeze.

Just looked at some stats from the proposed $3.6 trillion budget just submitted to Congress. And there is a 6% increase to Homeland Security. (to fund Border Patrol staffing) Just thouhgt i would put tht rumor to rest.

Comment

• hey guys i read this article a few days ago, many of you have probably read it. i was wondering if this would possibly affect the number of agents they will hire now ? i know rprieto520 said there is no hiring freeze, but can there possibly be a decrease in people being hired due to this factor?

http://www.kvia.com/news/29296772/detail.html
                  BPA( California)

NOR 75( no clue why am i stuck in the 70's) 9/2011

Comment

• Originally posted by rprieto520 View Post
                    Just looked at some stats from the proposed $3.6 trillion budget just submitted to Congress. And there is a 6% increase to Homeland Security. (to fund Border Patrol staffing) Just thouhgt i would put tht rumor to rest.
                    Is there any way to figure out how much manpower that is? and can i just ask where did you get this info from? i wanted to check something about BOP budget also if there is any info on that in stats.
                    BPA( California)

NOR 75( no clue why am i stuck in the 70's) 9/2011

Comment

• Well IA just called me a few days ago and said that my background investigation was still being processed. She told me to call back in a few weeks!

Comment

• Originally posted by dghai62 View Post
                        Is there any way to figure out how much manpower that is? and can i just ask where did you get this info from? i wanted to check something about BOP budget also if there is any info on that in stats.
                        Proposed budgets don't mean jack until they are officially signed into law at full proposed funding.

Comment

• Originally posted by rprieto520 View Post
                          What are you talking about?

Calls for Nov 7th EODs are starting to go out. They seem to all be for Texas. They will continue on the trend of an academy class every 2 weeks. We'll see if more calls go out 2 weeks from now. Definitely not the same 4 classes every 2 weeks during the summer.

Comment

Last edited by SHU; 07-01-2019, 11:59 PM.

Comment

• Hello,

I turned in my BI forms just over 2 months ago. I have yet to be contacted. Should i be concerned? Is this normal? What is the average time that you guys have spent in the BI process? Is there a number/email in which i can contact someone in order to see how my BI process is going?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
                              NOR (09/14/10): 90 (No VP)
                              TSL1 (10/04/10)
                              OB (12/03/10)
                              MED/1 ST PFT (03/21/11)
                              DRUG TEST (04/08/11)
                              TSL2/E-QIP (07/19/11)
                              MEET BI (10/18/11)

Comment

• To true.

Originally posted by Rinzler View Post
                                Proposed budgets don't mean jack until they are officially signed into law at full proposed funding.
                                But there is no way that the Rebulicans are going to yet the dems take it out of the proposed budget. I dont think anyhting would pass The House if it didn't incude an increase in DHS.

Cant remember where i founfd it but im sure you can find it on Huffingtonpost.com Sorry dghai62

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7055 users online. 303 members and 6752 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X