Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It was on the Detroit news channel web site WXYZ Google it and you will find it. And it specificly said border patrol agents and cbp officer's. I didn't believe it either, but just wanted to are of anyone knew anything I didn't?

Comment

• Ranking of stations within Eastern Corridor of Tucson Sector

Hey guys. For those you out there that listed Tucson Sector as a preference and are not from around here, here are the descriptions for the four stations on the east side of Tucson. These are just my own observations, so if someone else has a different opinion then they are free to throw it out there.

Ranked in order of my own preferences:
      1. Sonoita Station
      2. Willcox Station
      3. Naco Station
      4. Douglas Station

Sonoita Station
      Work Experience: For the most part this station is pretty good as far as work goes. If you like to hike this is the place to be. They have plenty of specialty units, and since this station is smaller and has a relatively young workforce, the chances of you getting onto one of these units is pretty good. They still have a decent amount of groups coming through as well, which really helps keep the job exciting. Additionally they do not have stationary positions, so no staring at a fence all shift.
      Management: Management is supposed to be pretty good at Sonoita. This is a highly sought after station within Tucson Sector, so the station is better able to pick and choose their supervisors, and those higher up the chain. Additionally, they also just got a really good head guy there. He is known to be an "agent's man." Everyone I know has enjoyed working with him, and he really supports the troops.
      Living Experience: The agents here have two of the better options of towns to live in. Most agents do not live in Sonoita because it is too expensive for most, however there are the towns of Vail (awesome) and Sierra Vista (not so awesome, but better than other places). I will post descriptions of the various towns in a later post.

Willcox Station:
      Work Experience: Yes, some people will say that this station just works highways and checkpoints, and for the most part this is true, however they still get their share of action. They do bust plenty of dope loads and they get to go out to work walk around traffic that tries to circumvent the checkpoints that they run. Additionally working at the checkpoint does provide for more regular hours (like not working 4 or 5 hours of AUO), something to think about for those agents that have families. They also are a young station, and they seem to be getting a large share of new equipment and more opportunities to get on specialty units, like the K9 program.
      Management: This is a young station as mentioned before, guys with very few years are being asked to temp sup. Being at a checkpoint does have the drawback of being within view of management and the public, so its not as relaxed as environment as say working an hour in the middle of nowhere.
      Living Experience: This is where Wilcox makes up for any negatives, living within commuting distance to Vail.

Naco Station:
      Work Experience: Naco has a little bit of everything, mountains, a "river" - more like a creek to Midwest standards -, and low lands - for those that might not be in the best of shape. The actual work has slowed down tremendously at this station, so this station is going more towards "hard X's" i.e. watching the fence rust. There are a decent amount of specialty units, but it will take you a little while longer to get onto them as this station is larger and has guys with a good number of years in.
      Management: Naco Station has always been the red-headed stepchild of Tucson Sector. They always seem to get the smallest amount of support and equipment. This also could be do to the management. The head guy at this station is within five years of retirement and really doesn't want to "rock the boat." Consequently specialty programs have been canceled do to "manpower issues" and have never really been able to be jump started again. Additionally, since this station's number of apprehensions has gone down so much, management has a lot of time on their hands which translates towards a trend of micromanaging. As a result of boredom from lack of groups crossing and poor management, 80 to 90 percent of the agents at this station putting in for transfers to other stations.
      Living Experience: Housing pretty much is limited to Sierra Vista, although it is possible to make the commute from Vail. Most agents that do this carpool.

Douglas Station:
      Work Experience: Things are still hopping on the eastern side of this station, but on the western side, things have more or less ground to a halt. Douglas seems to be able to acquire a lot of training opportunities and equipment which can lead to a better variety of work available.
      Management: Micromanagement! There is a ton of this at Douglas Station. If you are on the east side expect to be given a specific 200 yards to patrol and you can only leave that area with permission.
      Living Experience: Most agents make the drive from Sierra Vista to Douglas. Some do live in Douglas, but that's only because they are from there to begin with. Douglas is basically Little Mexico.

Again these are just observations that I have made over the course of my career. All this is here for is to help some of you make your choices (if you even get a choice) when the nice lady calls from the hiring center.

Comment

• Interesting. Any other agents want to weigh in on the above post? I'd like to hear what others say.

Comment

• Real Life Experience Requested

So I've got a TO for both CBPO and BPA, and I am, of course, working dilligently to get a phone call for each agency. I have worked in DHS and Federal LE for numerous years. HOWEVER, I have not worked with/for/near/ or anything to do with CBPO's and/or BPA. All that I know of these positions is what I have read and researched online, or in case studies. THIS IS WHERE YOU COME IN: would some vets of each agency be able to tell me what they believe the better agency to work at, for long term is....and why? I believe that I have my personal ideas, but I have read about soooo many people that have left one agency for another. I want to know WHY? What is it that made them want to leave and/or desire to go to the other agency.

Now, to all those Dr McSmartipants' out there that love to act all salty and crab about a new guy on this forum asking redundant questions...well I am truly sorry ahead of time. But with an average of 15-20 posts per page and the incredibly vast number of pages there are in this forum...I figured that some folks with experience and knowledge might just wanna help out a fellow officer make a well informed descision. Or at least point me in the direction of some useful info. Thanks so much for understanding. And thank you to all that reply.
          CBPO
          Exam: 07/11; NOR: 8/11 99 w/Vet Pts; Qualifications: (GS-7 Step 4); T.O: 09/11 (SWB); PFT1: 9/11; Med Cleared: 4/12; VBT/S.I.: 10/11; Drug Test: Passed 6/11; Poly: Passed 12/08/11; BI: Complete 12/28/11, PFT2: Passed 12/12/12, EOD: 12/31/12 San Ysidro

Comment

• http://www.bpspouses.com/stories_poems/towns.html

Comment

• Originally posted by Verve10 View Post
              So I've got a TO for both CBPO and BPA, and I am, of course, working dilligently to get a phone call for each agency. I have worked in DHS and Federal LE for numerous years. HOWEVER, I have not worked with/for/near/ or anything to do with CBPO's and/or BPA. All that I know of these positions is what I have read and researched online, or in case studies. THIS IS WHERE YOU COME IN: would some vets of each agency be able to tell me what they believe the better agency to work at, for long term is....and why? I believe that I have my personal ideas, but I have read about soooo many people that have left one agency for another. I want to know WHY? What is it that made them want to leave and/or desire to go to the other agency.

Now, to all those Dr McSmartipants' out there that love to act all salty and crab about a new guy on this forum asking redundant questions...well I am truly sorry ahead of time. But with an average of 15-20 posts per page and the incredibly vast number of pages there are in this forum...I figured that some folks with experience and knowledge might just wanna help out a fellow officer make a well informed descision. Or at least point me in the direction of some useful info. Thanks so much for understanding. And thank you to all that reply.
              as a fellow applicant, i would say it depends on lifestyle. a lot of the work environment you will work in as an agent will be remote areas, areas where civilization and towns are far. CBPO however would get to work in metropolitan cities and checkpoints where it isn't so far from city life. i would also say it depends on age, if you are active and young, BP might give you that challenge that you want running around in various terrain apprehending illegals, if you are very much experienced you might just want to become a cbpo and stay on checkpoints and do other positions where risk is not so high.

just my opinions, at end of day the call is all on you, i personally would not mind doing either due to the economy and due to being very young and mobile. but you need to look at a lot of personal factors before picking i would say. I'm sure someone probably chimed in either the cbpo forum or will over here.
              BPA( California)

NOR 75( no clue why am i stuck in the 70's) 9/2011

Comment

• Throwing some more stuff in the mix

Originally posted by dghai62 View Post
                as a fellow applicant, i would say it depends on lifestyle. a lot of the work environment you will work in as an agent will be remote areas, areas where civilization and towns are far. CBPO however would get to work in metropolitan cities and checkpoints where it isn't so far from city life. i would also say it depends on age, if you are active and young, BP might give you that challenge that you want running around in various terrain apprehending illegals, if you are very much experienced you might just want to become a cbpo and stay on checkpoints and do other positions where risk is not so high.

just my opinions, at end of day the call is all on you, i personally would not mind doing either due to the economy and due to being very young and mobile. but you need to look at a lot of personal factors before picking i would say. I'm sure someone probably chimed in either the cbpo forum or will over here.
                This guy pretty much hit it right on the head. For lack of a better way to describe it, the Border Patrol is, for the most part, more bad ***. I.e. running around in the mountains after groups without your flashlight on, constantly being outnumbered by groups, getting into fights, and car chases (if management allows them). Now granted this doesn't happen as often as it used to, it just depends on the station that you go to and how busy they are. But all this "bad-***-ery" does come at the cost of legally opening up yourself to allegations, or getting into trouble from management. Additionally, moving to crappy, remote locations, away from family and friends, starts to suck after a few years, not only for you, but for your wife and kids as well.

As far as being a CBPO is concerned, they mainly stand at checkpoints, or at ports of entry in things similar to toll booths. Its boring, but you do get to live in better locations, have better hours, are offered more OT, etc.

Go with the first offer you get. You can always switch when the next job calls.

Comment

• I know I saw another guy get the call 11 days after submitting his re-submitted medical form...I just had to update and send another one in last week due to this background having taken ~1 year now... has anyone heard if its pretty common for the call to come decently quickly after that form? Also any word on what station areas have been the popular offers lately? I've been slacking on browsing this thread for a few months and am out of the loop

Comment

• HONOR FIRST videos

Have fun watching these.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ic2cz7aoxLI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mta4tkdIsvY

Comment

• Originally posted by bigpoppaproppy View Post
                      I know I saw another guy get the call 11 days after submitting his re-submitted medical form...I just had to update and send another one in last week due to this background having taken ~1 year now... has anyone heard if its pretty common for the call to come decently quickly after that form? Also any word on what station areas have been the popular offers lately? I've been slacking on browsing this thread for a few months and am out of the loop
                      No calls are going out right now wih now entire fiscal 2012 budget.

Comment

• Originally posted by koolaid_002 View Post
                        It was on the Detroit news channel web site WXYZ Google it and you will find it. And it specificly said border patrol agents and cbp officer's. I didn't believe it either, but just wanted to are of anyone knew anything I didn't?

There are programs where CBP is given the ability to hire "locals" for working in Northern Border locations. I know for a fact that it's been done in North Dakota/Montana and basically these people were able to leap frog the whole process due to their familiarity with those geo. locations. I wouldn't be surprised if they're still doing it. As a Northern CBPO applicant with a perfect score on my written it sure would suck to be overlooked for some local yocal who may or may not know the land better than me.

It's the Northern Border Intern Program:

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/newsroom/..._testifies.xml
                        Last edited by 180Degrees; 10-06-2011, 10:37 AM.

Comment

• Waiting for a responce

Faxed over my NOPA letter last Friday and now I am just waiting for IA to let me know if they find me suitable for the job. This is nerve-racking! Is anyone else in the same boat?

Comment

• I have been patiently waiting for a while now.... my BI was performed in April and I received an email stating that my package arrived in IA back in June...
                            I have called several times since then only for them to tell me that they are waiting on one more form to be received. SO, that's that I guess...

I look at it this way, gives me more time to prepare. I have dropped 40 lbs and have gone from 18 min 1.5 mile to 13 min 1.5 mile in 7 months
                            BPA
                            BPA test date: 8/21/10
                            TSU: 2/6/12
                            EOD: ???

CBPO
                            Got the call!
                            PFT2: 3/23
                            EOD: 4/9
                            FLETC: May 11th - Sept 17th, 2012

Comment

• Anyone have any insight on to which sector gets the most activity, activity as in the most action (i.e WestTexas/New Mexico, South Cali, Arizona, South Texas)

I'm aware each has their share, but which has the most. From doing a little research I hear South Texas, due to the rio grande river and the large amount of private owned land along it's border.
                              Last edited by Myst; 10-06-2011, 12:43 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rinzler View Post
                                No calls are going out right now wih now entire fiscal 2012 budget.
                                What are you talking about?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8410 users online. 421 members and 7989 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X