300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Marcus Antonius View Post
    I noticed that people are telling you to buy a book and study - so maybe I'll be the lone voice of dissent here... but personally, I wouldn't. Hopefully CBP will send you a prep. book. My advice is to just read that. If you like, read it twice. I read over it one time and got a 97 without vet. points. It was definitely useful - especially for the ALT section. I don't think I would have done well at all, had I not read over that part. If you are confident in your logical reasoning and grammar, I wouldn't bother buying extra test prep. The booklet that you will be sent (that is, if you haven't already received it) is sufficient. If you're worried about the test after reading over it - just read over it until you feel like you have a firm grasp of all the material. No need to go out and buy anything. But that's just my .02
    I agree, the study guide is all one should need but it's nice to have a few different practice tests to work from. Gives you a better idea of question wording and the like.
    Border Patrol Agent
    Applied - 11/11/2010
    Written Exam - 1/11/2011
    NOR - 1/20/2011 - Score - 96
    TSL1 - 5/25/2011
    TSL2 - 6/1/2011
    PFT1 - 6/24/2011
    BI Interview - 7/7/2011
    Oral Board - 7/20/2011 - Passed
    Drug Test - 8/12/2011 - Cleared in CASS 10/20/2011
    Background Completed - 11/1/2011
    Referred to TSU - 11/14/2011

Comment

• Originally posted by wfoss View Post
      I put my application in last week and have my test scheduled for October. Hopefully between BPA, ICE HSI, and the FBI someone will pick me up!
      If it doesn't work out, perhaps you can start your own application filling business! Good luck to you!
      Border Patrol Agent
      Applied - 11/11/2010
      Written Exam - 1/11/2011
      TSL1 - 5/25/2011
      TSL2 - 6/1/2011
      PFT1 - 6/24/2011
      BI Interview - 7/7/2011

Comment

• No kidding. I think that I can do it blindfolded now.

Comment

• Any of you guys OTJ work with anyone that made the switch from a local LEO job to be a BPA or CBPO? How do they like it? I'm a local cop in Massachusetts but want to go Fed. I'd prob get more job satisfaction out of BPA compared to CBPO.

Comment

• Thanks everyone for the information! I will go ahead and apply for the BPA announcement and see where it goes because I have been throwing fed apps in for over 6 years now and have yet to get hired with any agency; I too can start a filing business. I am yet another victim of the IT dilemma because I don't think I can sit in a cubicle for another 20 years. I have been doing it for over 9+ years.

And zkostrze, I have seen the Border Wars show on TV. But, my question is according to the show only 10% of illegal immigrants and drugs are seized crossing the border. Is this true? It almost seems like we are fighting a losing battle then.

Comment

• Originally posted by FordMustang View Post
              Any of you guys OTJ work with anyone that made the switch from a local LEO job to be a BPA or CBPO? How do they like it? I'm a local cop in Massachusetts but want to go Fed. I'd prob get more job satisfaction out of BPA compared to CBPO.
              Yes you would. I EOD today in Laredo. One of the better quotes from today was "you guys know that show Cops? Well we do that everyday, 24hrs a day"
              Ya it will be a lot more fun, much more active on the big stuff.

Comment

• Originally posted by Blue Steel View Post
                Thanks everyone for the information! I will go ahead and apply for the BPA announcement and see where it goes because I have been throwing fed apps in for over 6 years now and have yet to get hired with any agency; I too can start a filing business. I am yet another victim of the IT dilemma because I don't think I can sit in a cubicle for another 20 years. I have been doing it for over 9+ years.

And zkostrze, I have seen the Border Wars show on TV. But, my question is according to the show only 10% of illegal immigrants and drugs are seized crossing the border. Is this true? It almost seems like we are fighting a losing battle then.

85% of statistics are made up on the spot.
                Seriously though, how can anyone really quantify the percentage that we're NOT catching?

Glad to hear that you decided to give it a shot. Good luck to you.

Comment

You should really like the dope numbers then... last I heard, 2-3% gets caught entering the US and that number jumps all the way up to 5% by the time the dope gets to the street level. Now consider that just BP gets 2.5 million pounds...

You can thank politicians for both. They half-*** immigration and drugs instead of actually trying to stop the flow.

Comment

• Originally posted by DC2008 View Post
                    They offered my both Border Patrol Agent and Customs Officer. Texas for both careers. I am having a very difficult time deciding. Any input? I prefer the work of the Border Patrol but Customs Officers gives me the chance to return back home to NYC

Exam 10/13/2010
                    NOR 10/18/2010
                    TSL1 12/23/2010
                    OB 02/26/2011
                    TSL2 05/08/2011
                    BI Int 06/13/2011
                    Drug 08/05/2011 Cleared 08/11/2011
                    Call 8/24/11 Texas!!
                    I haven't heard of both positions being offered at the same time before. Congrats bro! If you really wanna go back to NYC eventually, I would suggest you to take the CBPO position. Btw, can you put your CBPO timeline.
                    "All that is necessary for evil to succeed is for good men to do nothing." -Edmund Burke

BP Agent GEO: CA, SW Border.
                    Written Test: 10/04/10
                    NOR: 11/17/10 Passed(84%).
                    TSL 1: 11/17/10
                    OB: 03/01/11 Passed.
                    Med/PTF1: 04/19/11 Passed
                    TSL 2: 04/29/11.
                    e-QIP: 05/08/11
                    BI Interview: 07/26/11
                    Drug test: 08/05/11
                    Polygraph: 02/08/2012
                    CBP Officer GEO: TX, SW Border.
                    Written Test: 12/09/10
                    NOR: 02/01/11 Passed(84%).
                    TSL 1: 06/14/11
                    PTF 1: 07/20/11Passed.
                    VBT: 09/07/11 Passed

Comment

• Originally posted by pepe View Post
                      I haven't heard of both positions being offered at the same time before. Congrats bro! If you really wanna go back to NYC eventually, I would suggest you to take the CBPO position. Btw, can you put your CBPO timeline.
                      Be a CBPO, it's much easier to transfer and they have a job swap program.

Comment

• I received my BPA NOR via email yesterday. I reused my test score.
                        BPA Status
                        TSU: 04/24/09
                        EOD: 10/12/09, Sierra Blanca, TX
                        Resigned: 10/28/09
                        Reapplied: 07/29/11
                        NOR: 08/24/11, 5 & 7 @ 93 (no Vet pref)
                        TSL1: 12/16/11, forms sent
                        PFT1: scheduled for 02/03/12
                        Oral Board: scheduled for 02/03/12

CBPO Status
                        Applied: 06/24/11
                        Written: 07/21/11
                        NOR: 08/30/11, 5 & 7 @ 94 (no Vet pref)

Comment

• Originally posted by JerzeyFedz View Post
                          Yes you would. I EOD today in Laredo. One of the better quotes from today was "you guys know that show Cops? Well we do that everyday, 24hrs a day"
                          Ya it will be a lot more fun, much more active on the big stuff.
                          I appreciate you think BPA would be better then CBPO for me but I don't know about the whole COPS line they are spitting at you.. I've worked that gig for 3 years and there is a lot of paperwork that comes along with every "cool" thing you do. BPA prob doesn't respond to burglary alarms, domestics, thefts, accidents, robberies, shootings, homicides etc every day. Not trying to be a dick but don't judge your job off of "COPS" or "Border Patrol". Anyone that made a switch from street to BPA PM me got some questions.

Comment

Honestly, I could care less about the numbers. Some might consider it a losing battle but just think what it would be like if there were NO BPA's and CBPO's out there doing what they do every day...

I think MadChiken might agree, you're paid to do the job, not complain about whether you're making a difference or not.
                            Last edited by zkostrze; 08-25-2011, 11:29 PM.
                            Border Patrol Agent
                            Applied - 11/11/2010
                            Written Exam - 1/11/2011
                            TSL1 - 5/25/2011
                            TSL2 - 6/1/2011
                            PFT1 - 6/24/2011
                            BI Interview - 7/7/2011

Comment

• post deleted
                              Last edited by o2force; 01-01-2012, 02:00 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by o2force View Post
                                As Border Patrol Agent candidate it is important to know that you will be enforcing a socially dividing law and be okay with it.

Morally, it's more simple when you are a normal LEO. Everyone knows murder, rape, robbery, etc. are inherently wrong (malum in se). Illegal immigration, on the other hand, is only wrong by our legal definition (malum prohibitum).
                                Yeah, not so much. I have absolutely zero problem hooking up anyone in the US illegally. From the parolee with gang tats to the overstay that's been here for 20 years to the 20 year old college student to the 8 year old child who was left behind when the parents ran away from us.

The problem is no one knows just how bad it really is because the DC doesn't want to release what's really going on and the media refuses to report the few stories that do get out.

Something to think about... How do illegals get IDs, DLs, loans to buy cars or houses, rent apartments, get student loans or financial aid... You can't do most of those without a social security number.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10022 users online. 343 members and 9679 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X