300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by mm91186 View Post
    I have a couple questions. I'm in the process of being a SS Uniform Division and Border Patrol Agent. I am wondering which one should I pick and if one of them call me first for the job, should I accept it and not take the other job. Also, I was selected as gl-5 and I was wondering about how much my first year salary including overtime. I know both jobs have different objective and theyre a good opportunity. I am just looking for opinions in what to do in this situation, because I will have to move to Washington D.C. or to the Mexico Border. Any thoughts or comment will be apprecipated. Thanks!!
    Im going to be pretty direct...You take the first offer you get! You cannot wait or even expect that the other will offer you a position. Judging by the fact that you qualified at a 5, I am assuming you don't have any prior LE experience. In this job market you would be crazy to deny one job to hope that another will come up. With that being said, do research on both positions, I know with the Border Patrol Agent position, it's not for everyone and depending on what duty station you are offered, it could be a drastic lifestyle change.

Comment

• I heard it a good place to start because you get a lot of experience in the field, I just need to find out whats the best place to live. Anyways good luck to you guys and be patient

Comment

• Originally posted by mm91186 View Post
        I have a couple questions. I'm in the process of being a SS Uniform Division and Border Patrol Agent. I am wondering which one should I pick and if one of them call me first for the job, should I accept it and not take the other job. Also, I was selected as gl-5 and I was wondering about how much my first year salary including overtime. I know both jobs have different objective and theyre a good opportunity. I am just looking for opinions in what to do in this situation, because I will have to move to Washington D.C. or to the Mexico Border. Any thoughts or comment will be apprecipated. Thanks!!
        I would go with Border Patrol personally. A much larger organization with locations all over the country, not just in DC. Also it is a much more proactive job, while you will be doing security/protection detail with USSS. Starting pay may be higher with UD, but remember the cost of living in DC is high, and also remember that you will reach GS-12 as a BPA.
        What is Perseverance?
        -Perseverance is commitment, hard work, patience, endurance.
        -Perseverance is being able to bear difficulties calmly and without complaint.
        -PERSEVERANCE IS TRYING AGAIN AND AGAIN.

BOP - BPA - ICE

Comment

• Originally posted by jb5722
          fyi, i'd avoid using the acronym ss for secret service. if you were to slip up and use it in front of an agent or officer, they'd be VERY fired up.
          Yeah, when I saw SS at first, I thought he was talking about the Nazis.
          Border Patrol Agent (Southwest Border)
          Applied: 7/15/10
          Exam: 8/20/10
          Exam Results: 8/25/10 (92)
          TSL 1: 9/10/10
          TSL 2/E-QIP: 10/18/10
          Oral Board: 10/19/10 (Passed)
          Medical/PFT1: 10/20/10
          Drug Test: 3/16/11 (Passed)
          Background Investigation Forms Follow-up: 4/10/11
          Background Investigation Interview: 6/10/11
          The Call: 7/27/2011 (EOD 8/22/2011, Yuma, AZ)
          TSU: 7/29/2011

PFT II: 8/11/2001 (Failed Due to High Blood Pressue)
          The Call (2nd): 9/1/2011 (EOD 9/22/2011, Casa Grande, AZ)

Comment

Last edited by SHU; 07-02-2019, 01:45 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by fernandez11 View Post
              My original choice was Tucson and I applied for the position in July 2010. I want it a bigger city but I guess Ajo has to work for me. Good luck
              What's your time line look like?

Comment

• Originally posted by fernandez11 View Post
                I check my CASS and had been placed in TSU......... So one step closer. Now waiting for the call
                Did you have all of the checkmarks? How did CASS let you know you were in TSU? Just curious as to what it looks like. I've been checking CASS hourly it seems like for the past week.

Comment

• I need help ASAP. Filling out my EQIP and background forms like the rest of you guys. I'm filling out the financial disclosure report, and section 2a. asks for annual income. How far back do we have to go? The last year? It doesn't say.

Comment

• Originally posted by borderguard_1 View Post
                    I need help ASAP. Filling out my EQIP and background forms like the rest of you guys. I'm filling out the financial disclosure report, and section 2a. asks for annual income. How far back do we have to go? The last year? It doesn't say.
                    Yes. If you did your taxes for 2010 (which I'm sure you did), use that as your annual salary/wages section. Also, if you had any other income ("non-taxable, interest, dividend, other" like it lists on the form) include them as well in the sections that they apply to.
                    BPA:
                    Test: 08/2010; BI Interview: 05/2011; TSU: 07/28/2011; EOD: 8/29

Comment

• Thank you. Another question, I have heard that no matter where people are putting for their geo. preference, all new agents are being assigned to Arizona right now. Is this true?

Comment

• Not a guarantee that you'll be assigned Tucson, but it's more then likely.

Comment

• Originally posted by BF280 View Post
                          What's your time line look like?
                          BF280, my dates are identical to yours. I'm waiting on my BI to start also.

I'm taking a guess, but I noticed a lot of Vets are getting called for their BIs (8/10 & 9/10 TOs) because of the VRA. It may just be speculation, but it seems that way. No sweat because it will happen in good time.
                          BPA:
                          Test: 08/2010; BI Interview: 05/2011; TSU: 07/28/2011; EOD: 8/29

Comment

• Originally posted by Philly8979 View Post
                            BF280, my dates are identical to yours. I'm waiting on my BI to start also.

I'm taking a guess, but I noticed a lot of Vets are getting called for their BIs (8/10 & 9/10 TOs) because of the VRA. It may just be speculation, but it seems that way. No sweat because it will happen in good time.
                            My dates are pretty close also. I assume we are in the same boat...so as long as we're waiting together and I'm not the only one being left behind, I won't worry.
                            Border Patrol Agent (Southwest Border)
                            Applied: 7/15/10
                            Exam: 8/20/10
                            Exam Results: 8/25/10 (92)
                            TSL 1: 9/10/10
                            TSL 2/E-QIP: 10/18/10
                            Oral Board: 10/19/10 (Passed)
                            Medical/PFT1: 10/20/10
                            Drug Test: 3/16/11 (Passed)
                            Background Investigation Forms Follow-up: 4/10/11
                            Background Investigation Interview: 6/10/11
                            The Call: 7/27/2011 (EOD 8/22/2011, Yuma, AZ)
                            TSU: 7/29/2011

PFT II: 8/11/2001 (Failed Due to High Blood Pressue)
                            The Call (2nd): 9/1/2011 (EOD 9/22/2011, Casa Grande, AZ)

Comment

Thank you. Another question, I have heard that no matter where people are putting for their geo. preference, all new agents are being assigned to Arizona right now. Is this true?
                              my guess is yes half of my class is from san diego or west coast and wanted only something in san diego but we are all going to either Douglas, Ajo, Tucson, Casa Grande

Comment

Thank you. Another question, I have heard that no matter where people are putting for their geo. preference, all new agents are being assigned to Arizona right now. Is this true?
                                Currently most new hires are going to Az but a few guys on Honorfirst are headed to CA (Campo & Imperial Beach). One guy posted today that he is going to the Rio Grande Sector, TX. Other than Arizona hires are trickling in, but don't get your hopes up.
                                BPA
                                Test 8/31/10 score: 92
                                TO 9/15/10 CA pref.
                                OB 11/09/10
                                Med/PFT1 3/10/11
                                LASIK 05/19/11
                                Security Office 06/28/11
                                BI Meeting: 07/27/11
                                Med cleared 08/30/11
                                Drug Test-09/08/11
                                Tentatively met requirements-12/07/11
                                TSU---12/12/11

Cert. Date--09/03/2010

Call-06/15/2012- Calexico, CA
                                Class 1006

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9122 users online. 499 members and 8623 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X