Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just wondering if anyone who tested in March had received any additional news regarding the process since they sent out the scores?

Comment

• Originally posted by mikejr89 View Post
      Just wondering if anyone who tested in March had received any additional news regarding the process since they sent out the scores?
      Nope.
      CBPO TSL 5/25/11 | MED 6/20/11 | Met BI 6/28/11 | PFT1 7/18/11 | VBT 7/20/11 | Drug 8/12/11 | NOPA 8/12/11

BPA TSL 5/24/11 | MED/PFT1 6/20/11 | Met BI 6/28/11 | OB 7/22/11 | Drug 8/12/11 | NOPA 8/12/11 | TSU 8/22/11 | EOD 9/12/11

Comment

• Just received my background follow up email today. Just awaiting this and my drug test now.

Comment

• Hello all, noob here.
          I have a question for current BPA's: I am a LEO with 8 years experience to include SWAT and several specialized instructor qualifications (firearms, less-lethal/chemical munitions,Anti-terror, LEO mountain bike, etc). a coworker of mine, with very similar qualifications, has gotten his TSL2 and offered GL-9. I'm currently in the BPA process but i'd like to know if my background will make it easier for me to move up into a specialty unit. (I received my TO letter two weeks ago and immediately sent the required paperwork back in)
          I'm expecting the first year or so at my duty station to be the typical "pay your dues/learn the job" but how hard is it to move up or laterally into something that I'm skilled at? Is it competitive and based on performance/skill/knowledge?

another issue:
          I'm a dad with three kids ranging from 11-6. My wife is awesome and is very supportive of the career change; the kids are open to the "adventure" but will, of course, miss their friends. For those of you with a fairly young family...how hard is the transition to BP lifestyle? i already work an average of 60 hours per week mixed between my regular shifts/off-duty work, and teaching/instructing so the hours in FTU shouldn't be too much of an issue as long as it's temporary. Is there a decent BP spouse support system? (my wife was very active in the spouse network while in the marines but the LEO "family" hasn't been as proactive with spousal support)

sorry for so many questions at once but this is a HUGE move for me. i love what i do now but i'm ready for something different and more challenging.

one last thing. i put san diego as my geo preference on my online app (lived there for 5 years) but i want to change my preference to tuscon. will i have a chance to do this during the process?

BPA:
          Application: 12/15/10
          Written Test: (101) 1/15/11
          TSL1: 4/1/11
          Last edited by sempertubby; 04-14-2011, 08:49 PM.
          BPA
          Applied: 12/15/10
          TSL2/EQIP: 5/5/11
          PFT1/Medical: 5/11/11
          Oral Board: 5/24/11
          BI Interview: 6/20/11
          Drug Test: 8/2/11
          TSU: 8/9/11
          The Call: 8/11/11
          (Tucson Station)
          EOD: 9/5/11

Comment

• Sempertubby, I don't have an answer for you for the first part of your post because I am only an applicant but for the second part, you and your wife should check out BPspouses.com. They have great info for both of you guys and a forum with both spouses and agents actively participating.
            BPA
            Test 8/31/10 score: 92
            TO 9/15/10 CA pref.
            OB 11/09/10
            Med/PFT1 3/10/11
            LASIK 05/19/11
            Security Office 06/28/11
            BI Meeting: 07/27/11
            Med cleared 08/30/11
            Drug Test-09/08/11
            Tentatively met requirements-12/07/11
            TSU---12/12/11

Cert. Date--09/03/2010

Call-06/15/2012- Calexico, CA
            Class 1006

Comment

• ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
              Last edited by SHU; 07-02-2019, 01:50 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by sempertubby View Post
                Hello all, noob here.
                I have a question for current BPA's: I am a LEO with 8 years experience to include SWAT and several specialized instructor qualifications (firearms, less-lethal/chemical munitions,Anti-terror, LEO mountain bike, etc). a coworker of mine, with very similar qualifications, has gotten his TSL2 and offered GL-9. I'm currently in the BPA process but i'd like to know if my background will make it easier for me to move up into a specialty unit. (I received my TO letter two weeks ago and immediately sent the required paperwork back in)
                I'm expecting the first year or so at my duty station to be the typical "pay your dues/learn the job" but how hard is it to move up or laterally into something that I'm skilled at? Is it competitive and based on performance/skill/knowledge?

another issue:
                I'm a dad with three kids ranging from 11-6. My wife is awesome and is very supportive of the career change; the kids are open to the "adventure" but will, of course, miss their friends. For those of you with a fairly young family...how hard is the transition to BP lifestyle? i already work an average of 60 hours per week mixed between my regular shifts/off-duty work, and teaching/instructing so the hours in FTU shouldn't be too much of an issue as long as it's temporary. Is there a decent BP spouse support system? (my wife was very active in the spouse network while in the marines but the LEO "family" hasn't been as proactive with spousal support)

sorry for so many questions at once but this is a HUGE move for me. i love what i do now but i'm ready for something different and more challenging.

one last thing. i put san diego as my geo preference on my online app (lived there for 5 years) but i want to change my preference to tuscon. will i have a chance to do this during the process?

BPA:
                Application: 12/15/10
                As SHU mentioned, the two special operations units (BORTAC and BORSTAR) require two years time in service. Once you pass two years you can apply for both, and as already mentioned the selection process for either one is difficult and weeds out a lot of people. Keep in mind that if you do make it on to one of those units that you will be required to go on many extended details, which could have a very adverse effect on your personal/family life. As far as other specialty units/details go, seniority does play a factor, but it doesn't seem to be as much of a factor as it used to be. At my station there are not a lot of non-supervisory Agents with much seniority, so past experience often plays a huge factor in who gets selected for many specialty units/assignments. At my station we have guys with 2 years and sometimes less working in the Horse Patrol, bike unit, intel unit, and even acting as instructors for station level training. It never hurts to apply, and if somebody puts in for a detail/unit and lists a lot of relevant experience in their interest memo they are likely to get selected (at least at my station).

As to personal life, you can expect to work 5 10 hr shifts a week and the shifts will be longer if you catch a case or are still working a group at the end of shift. Some stations will have you rotating shifts quite a bit. There aren't really formal family support groups but normally Agents and their families befriend other agents and will help each other out.

Good luck to you.

Comment

• BigPat,

You PM inbox is full.

-SS-
                  NRA Life Member

The police are the public and the public are the police; the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full time attention to duties which are incumbent on every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence. - Sir Robert Peel

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. - H. L. Mencken

Comment

• Originally posted by BigPat View Post
                    At my station there are not a lot of non-supervisory Agents with much seniority, so past experience often plays a huge factor in who gets selected for many specialty units/assignments. At my station we have guys with 2 years and sometimes less working in the Horse Patrol, bike unit, intel unit, and even acting as instructors for station level training. .
                    awesome, thanks! that's what i needed to hear from an actual BPA. one of my biggest fears of this whole career change is that all of my training and teaching experience would be in vain in the name of seniority alone. but don't worry, i won't be one of those, "that's not how i was trained to do it at my prior agency" guys...i can't stand that know-it-all attitude!...i'm just glad to hear that lateral moves within the station are, at least, possible in a relatively short time.
                    one more question: aside for BORTAC/BORSTAR, are there any on-call SRT type units at the local stations?
                    BPA
                    Applied: 12/15/10
                    TSL2/EQIP: 5/5/11
                    PFT1/Medical: 5/11/11
                    Oral Board: 5/24/11
                    BI Interview: 6/20/11
                    Drug Test: 8/2/11
                    TSU: 8/9/11
                    The Call: 8/11/11
                    (Tucson Station)
                    EOD: 9/5/11

Comment

Last edited by SHU; 07-02-2019, 01:51 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by SHU View Post
                        Please note some stations are like Pats and people get details very fast. Some of my classmates went to a station like that. And then other stations are like mine where senoirty is the most important thing 90% of the time with details, training, shifts, leave and everything else. The problem is you don't get many options when you are offered a station. Often just one station so proceed with caution. Transfers are senority based and often very hard to get if you want a good location. The USBP is very arse backwards when it comes to letting people transfer and it can be politcal at times so don't go into thinking you will be able to transfer to a good spot in a couple of years. I'm not telling you this to discourage you. I want just want applicants to know the truth up front to make the best decison for their family. If you are seriously considering the Patrol you should check out a website called honorfirst.
                        It contains a lot of info on the job.
                        So it's safe to say that the Border Patrol is much like the military in the sense that your overall experience depends on the station to which you are assigned.

Comment

• When I got hired in 2008 the Minneapolis hiring center presented me with Ajo or Naco, as if it were my only option when I had applied for SoCal (and had been told there were vacancies). I held out for a day....oh, ok we have a slot in California. Watch out for that kind of stuff.

Comment

• Just got an Email from MHC. On the honorfirst forum this is creating a buzz. Just thought I would share it with you guys. Good luck to all in the process. Maybe there are some EODs in the near future for those of us that tested in Summer.

Customs and Border Protection (CBP) is currently experiencing a significant hiring surge for your position through the coming months. Please submit all required paperwork, to include your electronic Background Investigation package, and schedule/attend all required appointments as soon as possible. Your prompt submission of paperwork and attendance at scheduled appointments is critical and will ensure your pre-employment processing is expedited.
                            Saint Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle, be our protection against the wickedness and snares of the devil; may God rebuke him, we humbly pray and do thou, O Prince of the heavenly host, by the power of God, thrust into hell Satan and all evil spirits who wander through the world for the ruin of souls. Amen.

Comment

• Originally posted by cnublue18 View Post
                              Just got an Email from MHC. On the honorfirst forum this is creating a buzz. Just thought I would share it with you guys. Good luck to all in the process. Maybe there are some EODs in the near future for those of us that tested in Summer.
                              Got the same email. Looks like things might be picking up now a little.

U.S. Border Patrol
                              EOD - 10/2011 SW, TX

Comment

• Originally posted by Allistar View Post
                                Got the same email. Looks like things might be picking up now a little.

I just received it also and think it's more of a tactic to have everyone convert their background information into electronic format. Today is the next business day after the conversion was due. I'm betting a lot of people didn't finish the conversion yet.

Either way, it's always good to see that e-mail coming from MHC.
                                Border Patrol Agent (Southwest Border)
                                Applied: 7/15/10
                                Exam: 8/20/10
                                Exam Results: 8/25/10 (92)
                                TSL 1: 9/10/10
                                TSL 2/E-QIP: 10/18/10
                                Oral Board: 10/19/10 (Passed)
                                Medical/PFT1: 10/20/10
                                Drug Test: 3/16/11 (Passed)
                                Background Investigation Forms Follow-up: 4/10/11
                                Background Investigation Interview: 6/10/11
                                The Call: 7/27/2011 (EOD 8/22/2011, Yuma, AZ)
                                TSU: 7/29/2011

PFT II: 8/11/2001 (Failed Due to High Blood Pressue)
                                The Call (2nd): 9/1/2011 (EOD 9/22/2011, Casa Grande, AZ)

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11782 users online. 415 members and 11367 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X