Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How stupid is that. "Oh I don't want to go to AZ." You know what I have to say to that?

CALL ME MHC!!!!! CALL ME!!!!! I'LL TAKE ANYWHERE BETWEEN SAN DIEGO BAY AND THE GULF OF MEXICO!!!!!

If someone is applying for a position with the USBP and isn't willing to take what they can get.... Some of us actually want THE JOB and not the location.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheKansan View Post
      Quick question for some of the other applicants here. If the proposed switch from AUO and FLSA over to LEAP goes through, will that effect your decision to join Border Patrol? Basically it would mean you will be working for salary and not paid for any overtime aside from the first 10 hours, in which you would receive straight time.
      Speaking to my brother who has been a BPA for eight years he said there was a meeting last week. In that meeting it was said that BP is switching to eight hour shifts.

Comment

• Originally posted by ee78 View Post
        Speaking to my brother who has been a BPA for eight years he said there was a meeting last week. In that meeting it was said that BP is switching to eight hour shifts.
        I thought BP Agents worked normal eight hour shifts but usually worked 10+ due to arrest and mission requirements.
        BPA -
        Applied--8/01/10 Exam--8/30/10 NOR-9/01/10 (105) TSL-9/15/10 TSL2-10/14/10 OB--11/30/10 Med/PFT--03/09/11 Drug Test--3/29/11 --E-QIP update-4/12/2011- BI Interview---6/20/11 POLY--11/22/11 PASSED
        TSU---12-12-2011 5-2-2012 EOD---6-11-2012

Comment

• Arizona is a **** hole. But if that's offered I would take it.

Comment

Thats a rumor. Don't believe it for a second. One thing I have learned while being in the BP is not to believe rumors until there has been an official statement from management on the subject. You'll go crazy getting all worked up ove every rumor that you hear from another agent.

Keep in mind that this is the federal government. There are tons of proposals made all the time, and very few ever come to fruition. People always get caught up thinking that some new proposal is set in stone.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ranger175 View Post
              I didn't think that was passed but the President's proposal for reducing waste in 2012 but I would say it won't effect my decision. As a LEO I haven't had a raise in 4 years and make under 40 k and will start at BP at 50K (GL-9) without added LEAP or AUO. If a few thousand dollars are a difference between you taking and not then that person MAY BE in it for the check. Don't get me wrong money is important but starting pay is excemptional for LE. LEO start around 32K where I'm located without any overtime, you have to cut your extra hours. Some weeks I work everyday between schedule and court without the benefit of overtime.

I don't think it is right to take away what Agents have already been awarded and have come to expect as income. They should be "Grandfathered" as far as I'm concerned. I can understand new agents coming they can either accept it or decline the position.

Would they still pay night differntial pay or would that go away as well. Basically BASE + LEAP and nothing else
              My answer to the whole AUO/LEAP thing is to ignore it altogether. Take the job if you really want it. There are a hundred rumors about LEAP. Are we going to LEAP? Are going to stay with AUO? Are we going to 8-hour shifts with no AUO or LEAP? Any agent who tells you that he for sure knows what is going to happen is full of ****. The union stewards in my sector are as clueless as everyone else.

The only thing I am confident in saying is don't expect any OT. Tucson sector has some for their forward operating bases, but its only about 10 hours a week. IF you're not going to Tucson sector don't expect any unless you get detailed there temporarily. Other chances for OT are sporadic and nothing to rely upon.
              Last edited by Cyber_Saint; 02-21-2011, 07:26 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheKansan View Post
                Quick question for some of the other applicants here. If the proposed switch from AUO and FLSA over to LEAP goes through, will that effect your decision to join Border Patrol? Basically it would mean you will be working for salary and not paid for any overtime aside from the first 10 hours, in which you would receive straight time.
                Long time lurker here. I decided to answer your question with my first post. I hope that makes you feel very special.

The switch would not keep me from joining. However, I think it would keep me from staying long term. I'm from California and it is not at all uncommon for a LEO to make over 60K (starting). I really want to get my career in LE started and am convinced that USBP is a very good fit for me. But I think that over time, I will miss civilization and if I'm going to be making less than I could be making whilst living in or near civilization; I'm guessing that I'd probably leave eventually. I'm not doing this for the paycheck - but I could see it making a difference down the road. Honestly though, I just really don't see it happening - the switch from AUO to LEAP, that is.

Comment

Once again, that is incorrect just like everything else you post that you say is from your 8 year, hiring board for BP brother.

Comment

Last edited by SHU; 07-02-2019, 02:44 AM.

Comment

• I got a general question that probably has been addressed but I want to ask it anyways. How easy and quickly can someone I guess rank up or promote? I have a Masters In Public Admin and would not want to spend my career driving around chasing illegals. I know the job is much more than that so please don't attack me about how diverse and challenging the job is. I get it or else I wouldn't be going through all the steps to join the fed, I was born and raised in a border city. I just want to know if my education will benefit me or pay off in the long run with BP. This will weigh heavy on my decision to go to academy as I am a new dad and know the shifts and OT will have my schedule to where I won't be very available for my family. Trade off. I am willing to put in my team but not sacrifice all my hard work in school. Hope I am clear and can get some good responses. I appreciate that you have to work your way up through to be the boss, but I just want to know if it's worth it and the timelines for promotion. I also am clear about the promotions over the first 2 years. 5 to 7 to 9 etc. I was only approved as a 5(bs) but am working on that getting changed to 7.
                      Thanks

Comment

• You'll get pay raises every year, but you wont get any sort of management promotion until at least 3 years in. After 2 years you'll be eligible for various details in the station, sector, and elsewhere, but those range in time, from a few months to 2 years or more, but generally they are around 1 year long.

I don't know if your degree will help you. I know that when you apply to become a supervisor you have to take a test and on that test is a questionnaire regarding past experience.

Comment

Last edited by SHU; 07-02-2019, 02:44 AM.

Comment

• "I got a general question that probably has been addressed but I want to ask it anyways. How easy and quickly can someone I guess rank up or promote? I have a Masters In Public Admin and would not want to spend my career driving around chasing illegals. I know the job is much more than that so please don't attack me about how diverse and challenging the job is. I get it or else I wouldn't be going through all the steps to join the fed, I was born and raised in a border city. I just want to know if my education will benefit me or pay off in the long run with BP. This will weigh heavy on my decision to go to academy as I am a new dad and know the shifts and OT will have my schedule to where I won't be very available for my family. Trade off. I am willing to put in my team but not sacrifice all my hard work in school. Hope I am clear and can get some good responses. I appreciate that you have to work your way up through to be the boss, but I just want to know if it's worth it and the timelines for promotion. I also am clear about the promotions over the first 2 years. 5 to 7 to 9 etc. I was only approved as a 5(bs) but am working on that getting changed to 7.
                            Thanks "

Dont think that you can walk into a job which requires hard foot work, team work, irregular shifts, and then try to throw out your Masters Degree to everyone to think that you are better at that.
                            Go into some other line of work such as intelligence or something.
                            Even if you got onto a department or agency which has street/field work, you will be ousted the second you start throwing out "I have a masters .. I want to move up....I have kids I don't want to work shifts..."
                            Thats my honest reply. Not trying to one up you or anything. I have been in local law enforcement for over 10 years. If someone came onto my squad with that attitude, I would tell them to find another home.

Comment

• I have a masters also and I get questioned a lot about it in interviews. Police departments and federal agencies want to know why I am trying so hard to get a job where the basic qualifications only require a high school diploma. I basically want the experience. Would I want an FBI SA position right now at 23? Hell yes....but at the same time I really want to work the road and do some "dirty work"....grad school was just a way to pass the time until I could find an entry level LE job and I hope I'll see the benefits of the degrees later in my career.

Comment

• Anybody heard anything since their NOR's in January?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11440 users online. 415 members and 11025 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X