Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Border Patrol Agent

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Thank you for your insight. It looks like I could possibly have more time with my family working for the BP than I do now as a local cop. Eiether way it seems like one of the most negative aspects of the job that I have read about on the forums is the work schedule. However, my schedule now is just as challanging if not more, so I don't see that being a problem for me and my family like it is for most. Especially when I was on SWAT and being called out twice a week on my days off. I'm fortunate to have a family that has always known me as a cop and supports my passion for law enforcement.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by BF280 View Post
      This is for all you current BPA's. I currently work 12 hour shifts, we rotate every three weeks from days to nights. I work a minimum of 84 hours in a two week period but I always have overtime. I have every other weekend off and it is a 3 day weekend which is cool.

      What can I expect as far as shifts go? From what I have gathered I can expect 100 hours a pay period, minumum. Is each station the same? Do most rotate days and nights? Do you rotate days off? For example, can I expect to have Monday and Tuesday off and work every weekend for the next couple of years until I gain seniority? Just curious, thanks in advance.
      Expect to work 5 ten hour shifts (your shifts could run longer). Policies on rotating shifts/bidding for shifts vary by station/sector. Days off usually go by seniority. Someone coming in the Patrol right now would probably have to put in a lot of time before they get choice days off.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by BF280 View Post
        Thank you for your insight. It looks like I could possibly have more time with my family working for the BP than I do now as a local cop. Eiether way it seems like one of the most negative aspects of the job that I have read about on the forums is the work schedule. However, my schedule now is just as challanging if not more, so I don't see that being a problem for me and my family like it is for most. Especially when I was on SWAT and being called out twice a week on my days off. I'm fortunate to have a family that has always known me as a cop and supports my passion for law enforcement.

        I work 12 hour shifts and court is purposely scheduled for days off in order to facilitate patrol coverage. I would think that court iis not as frequent in BP as it is in Local Law Enforcement,. I'm looking forward to the schedule and a 10 hour day is alot shorter then a 12 hour day especially when you make a late arrest (And there is no overtime these days).
        BPA -
        Applied--8/01/10 Exam--8/30/10 NOR-9/01/10 (105) TSL-9/15/10 TSL2-10/14/10 OB--11/30/10 Med/PFT--03/09/11 Drug Test--3/29/11 --E-QIP update-4/12/2011- BI Interview---6/20/11 POLY--11/22/11 PASSED
        TSU---12-12-2011 5-2-2012 EOD---6-11-2012

        Comment


        • For you current BPAs, what did you guys score on the written test?

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Ranger175 View Post
            I work 12 hour shifts and court is purposely scheduled for days off in order to facilitate patrol coverage. I would think that court iis not as frequent in BP as it is in Local Law Enforcement,. I'm looking forward to the schedule and a 10 hour day is alot shorter then a 12 hour day especially when you make a late arrest (And there is no overtime these days).
            I'm with you Ranger! It looks like we are on the same timeline. Let me know if you hear anything about he medical/pft 1.

            Comment


            • I got my tenative selection letter today. I took my exam back on October 22.

              Guess what was in my packet? FCIP paperwork. Even though the FCIP is going away, I am still required to signed the FCIP paperwork.

              It seems strange the Border Patrol would require applicants to sign FCIP paperwork even though the program is going away in another month or two.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by bozo View Post
                I got my tenative selection letter today. I took my exam back on October 22.

                Guess what was in my packet? FCIP paperwork. Even though the FCIP is going away, I am still required to signed the FCIP paperwork.

                It seems strange the Border Patrol would require applicants to sign FCIP paperwork even though the program is going away in another month or two.
                Not sure about the FCIP thing and I am not going to worry about it until told differently. Maybe this is a sign that the process is starting to move forward again. On Honor First a lot of guys got the call this week.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Daking0fqueens View Post
                  For you current BPAs, what did you guys score on the written test?
                  I scored a 90 plus my 5 points Vets preference.

                  BF20:

                  You still had to fill out FCIP paperwork because OPM still has a chance to appeal the ruling ending FCIP AND they still have no real guidance as to which authority they are going to hire you under. Just make sure you fill out all the paperwork they send you whether you think it's right or not.

                  Comment


                  • ..................
                    Last edited by SHU; 07-02-2019, 03:00 AM.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by bozo View Post
                      I got my tenative selection letter today. I took my exam back on October 22.

                      Guess what was in my packet? FCIP paperwork. Even though the FCIP is going away, I am still required to signed the FCIP paperwork.

                      It seems strange the Border Patrol would require applicants to sign FCIP paperwork even though the program is going away in another month or two.
                      If you are hired under an FCIP announcement, then you are required to sign the FCIP paperwork. Your position will be converted later on. No FCIP selections can be made after 2/28/11. An announcement should be coming from HQ soon.

                      Comment


                      • So........does that mean that all applicants not hired are going to be canned and have to start over, or are they going to keep our scores and not make us re-apply, or.......any insight?
                        USMS Region 3
                        Info Session: Aug 2009 (Atlanta)
                        Interview: 10/26/09 (Atlanta)
                        Conditional Offer: 1/15/10
                        BackgroundInt: 2/1/10
                        Medical:2/15/10
                        MedicalReview: 4/15/10
                        FIT: 5/10/10 (Excellent)
                        Drug: 6/5/10
                        Fletc: APRIL 6, 2011!!!
                        Duty Station: Laredo,Tx

                        __________________________________________________ ______________________________
                        Border Patrol AgentApplied: 11/15/10
                        Written: 12/27/10
                        NOR: 12/29/10 (96)
                        To:
                        Medical:

                        Comment


                        • Other DHS agencies are strongly encouraging people to reapply under the upcoming vacancy announcements. Because they will be competitive selections - everyone will most likely start at step 1. MSPB decision wont be appealed by OPM. John Berry already issued guidance following Obama's executive order that revokes FCIP hiring authority on 3/1.

                          Comment


                          • If you say so...

                            Comment


                            • I don't think they will make those who already in the process start over because the cost would be huge. They will probably start as of 3/1 any future openings will be competitive, that would make more sense. Everything else would have to be "grandfathered" in
                              BPA -
                              Applied--8/01/10 Exam--8/30/10 NOR-9/01/10 (105) TSL-9/15/10 TSL2-10/14/10 OB--11/30/10 Med/PFT--03/09/11 Drug Test--3/29/11 --E-QIP update-4/12/2011- BI Interview---6/20/11 POLY--11/22/11 PASSED
                              TSU---12-12-2011 5-2-2012 EOD---6-11-2012

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by SHU View Post
                                It varies all over the place. But the worst place I've heard of for schedules (imho) is in some part of Texas. I do not know if it is all of Texas of just some sector but they rotate from days (30days) to swings (30days) to mids (30days) and repeat forever. I could not stand that. I work days 8-6. I'm lucky to have enough time on to work any shift I want. We can switch 2 times a year if we want to. If you do not have any time on at my station you work 12am-10am with monday/tuesday as your rdo. It sucks to have no time on at my station!!
                                How frequently do Agents find themselves in court on their off time?
                                BPA -
                                Applied--8/01/10 Exam--8/30/10 NOR-9/01/10 (105) TSL-9/15/10 TSL2-10/14/10 OB--11/30/10 Med/PFT--03/09/11 Drug Test--3/29/11 --E-QIP update-4/12/2011- BI Interview---6/20/11 POLY--11/22/11 PASSED
                                TSU---12-12-2011 5-2-2012 EOD---6-11-2012

                                Comment

                                MR300x250 Tablet

                                Collapse

                                What's Going On

                                Collapse

                                There are currently 9886 users online. 366 members and 9520 guests.

                                Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

                                Welcome Ad

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X