300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Neck535 View Post
    For Federal employment, you have a 1 year (or whatever your 37th birthday is) until appointment.... so you are very much correct that the window is closing for you.

The current BPA announcement is for people up to age 40, but that is rare, and they have made an exception in this hiring wave due to the number of agents they are looking to add. Normally they follow file with the rest of the Fed gigs.

As for the study guide for BPA, there is a book for sale linked on the honorfirst website that some people really swear by, and here: http://cbp.gov/xp/cgov/careers/study_guides/ there are study guides for both BPA and CBP Officer.

As well, once you are signed up for the written exam, the USBP will send you a study guide, and send you an online reference link.

And in short: The Federal process is long. Not sure how much more you want to know.... just be ready to hurry up and wait.
    Thanks I had checked the guides/videos on the site but was just curious to see if there were any other sites or sources(I noticed the Honorfirst one posted above which is good). I know the general federal LE age limit is 37. After reading up asking I'm not extremely worried about that right now. But thanks for the info.

Comment

• Rank,
      The age limit being 40 while once rare has been in place for USBP for several years now and there are many of us (myself included) over 37 in the applicant pool.

Also, I don't know if this applies in your case but in case it is not mentioned in this thread or has been buried somewhere in the past. The age limit is being removed in more and more cases for those with veteran's preference.
      Last edited by JarrGen; 11-03-2010, 07:09 PM. Reason: typed 4 instead of 40
      In Process Apps:
      LASD - 04/2015 Completed Out of State Testing
      Passed Written, Fitness, Polygraph
      08/2015 - Background Completed
      09/2015 - Medical/Psych Scheduled

Comment

Last edited by SHU; 07-02-2019, 12:15 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by cnublue18 View Post
          Congrats!
          Thanks! There was about 16 people interviewing. I was fortunate to have gone early! Thanks for the advice on parking!
          BPA -
          Applied--8/01/10 Exam--8/30/10 NOR-9/01/10 (105) TSL-9/15/10 TSL2-10/14/10 OB--11/30/10 Med/PFT--03/09/11 Drug Test--3/29/11 --E-QIP update-4/12/2011- BI Interview---6/20/11 POLY--11/22/11 PASSED
          TSU---12-12-2011 5-2-2012 EOD---6-11-2012

Comment

• Originally posted by Raidergx View Post
            Watch Border Wars a few times and cops every day...
            Trying to get rid of the competition? You realize both of those shows are full of "redo's" and the narration has nothing to do with what's really happening, right?

Comment

• Originally posted by Rank393 View Post
              I'm a medically retired police officer but have been rehabbing, my back for the past couple of years. My goal is to get back into working shape by next year. I'm looking for something different ( I pushed a black and white for 14 years) with a different retirement system. So I have been looking at the CBP, BP and FPS positions at federal level. I'm 36 now so I know the window is rapidly closing on me, and I hoping to get on before the big deadline. Anybody have pointers on how the federal process goes, and what are good resources for the BP test prep? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
              The only way you can beat the window of opportunity is to receive a conditional offer before you turn 40 UNLESS you are prior Federal service employee or a Veteran. If you meet one of the latter two conditions they have to waive the age requirement.

Comment

• Passed my OB today in Nashville! It was a great experience, gets me even more excited! I wish I could have taken the BPA's on the board out for lunch or dinner just to talk shop and gain more knowledge.

Comment

• I too passed mine today, but in a different location. It was a good experience and I'm glad I passed, because I really have no desire to go through it again .

Comment

• Originally posted by bozo View Post
                    So what is all this misery people on here are talking about? Working long hours along the border in dangerous conditions?

Also, how hard is the Border Patrol Academy? Is it run like a military boot camp where you have to make your bed in a special way, get yelled at, etc or is it more "relaxed" like the FBI Academy...
                    While there is a little of a paramilitary feel to it, it is nothing like military basic training. When you are off duty for the day, you can spend your time as you see fit. You can go out on the weekends. They feed you for free, and FLETC even provides a cleaning service for the rooms! You even get paid to work out and shoot guns. I actually had a blast at the academy (one caveat-I went to the Academy when it was in Charleston, before it got moved to Artesia).

The downside is that you do have to stay on top of things and make sure you are doing well in all subjects. It isn't like the military where they won't allow you to leave. If you slack on your training and fail any portion then you are done Still, even being a non-native Spanish speaker that went when Spanish was the biggest cause of attrition at the academy(everyone passes the new Spanish program), I still found it to be overall quite enjoyable.

FTO can be difficult for some people. If you establish a bad reputation at your station (or even at the academy!) your FTOs and your peers will probably make it difficult for you. The way the new national field training program is now there is a lot of "hand-holding"- you will spend several months training on everything before you actually go out and work on your own (or even on your own with just a journeyman). Most people get frustrated with the pace of the field training program (I was fortunate that when I EOD'd, the station I went to had no formal FTO program at the time- we went out and worked from day 1!). Just suck it up, once you are done it will be worth it when you get out and work in the field. This is a freking fun job. Nothing beats the rush of when you jump your first group of 20+ in the brush.
                    Last edited by BigPat; 11-05-2010, 12:11 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Raidergx View Post
                      Past my oral today. Was a little tougher than I thought, but make sure you know a little about Law Enforcement before you go in there. Watch Border Wars a few times and cops every day, or even do a ride along with a Deputy Sheriff.
                      While it is interesting to watch those shows and they do give somewhat of a glimpse of what we do, remember that both of those shows are highly edited and may not give an actual picture of how things work. There was a recent (last 2 months or so) episode of Cops that featured Customs and BP. The BP segment was difficult to watch, as a lot of things were not really done like they were supposed to be, and some extremely cringe-worthy officer safety mistakes were made during the arrest. The way in that it was edited made it look staged.

Comment

• From the point of view of most cops, I can say that the actions on the show COPS ( and i am generalizing, please no hate mail) is USUALLY a textbook example of what NOT to do, and usually leaves experienced street cops shaking their heads in either embarrassment, or amazement that someone didn't get killed because they are trying to look good for the cameras. Case in point the aforementioned COPS episode showing a Border agent chasing a vehicle on foot, then climbing in the vehicle through the front door to wrestle the driver out.......while the agent was still holding her hand gun. I lost a wee bit of respect for the BPA training program when I saw that episode, I only hope that agent was a rookie......
                        USMS Region 3
                        Info Session: Aug 2009 (Atlanta)
                        Interview: 10/26/09 (Atlanta)
                        Conditional Offer: 1/15/10
                        BackgroundInt: 2/1/10
                        Medical:2/15/10
                        MedicalReview: 4/15/10
                        FIT: 5/10/10 (Excellent)
                        Drug: 6/5/10
                        Fletc: APRIL 6, 2011!!!
                        Duty Station: Laredo,Tx

__________________________________________________ ______________________________
                        Border Patrol AgentApplied: 11/15/10
                        Written: 12/27/10
                        NOR: 12/29/10 (96)
                        To:
                        Medical:

Comment

• I'm noticing that most of you guys are getting the tentative offer a few weeks to a month after taking the test and getting your NORs. I took the test on OCT 1 in Jacksonville FL, scored pretty well, and now I'm waiting on the TO to come in the mail. Yes it's only been five weeks, but I'm starting to worry a bit and I'm wondering at what point I should consider contacting someone. Any advice?
                          You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.

-Jack London

Comment

• Originally posted by RAllen View Post
                            I'm noticing that most of you guys are getting the tentative offer a few weeks to a month after taking the test and getting your NORs. I took the test on OCT 1 in Jacksonville FL, scored pretty well, and now I'm waiting on the TO to come in the mail. Yes it's only been five weeks, but I'm starting to worry a bit and I'm wondering at what point I should consider contacting someone. Any advice?

I'm in the same boat. Took the exam October 1st in Orlando; received my NOR pretty quick and haven't heard anything since. Maybe it's a Florida thing? Just processing slower.

Comment

• Originally posted by PrsnrTransport View Post
                              I'm in the same boat. Took the exam October 1st in Orlando; received my NOR pretty quick and haven't heard anything since. Maybe it's a Florida thing? Just processing slower.
                              good.... i thought i was alone, i received my nor on oct 18th and nothing since
                              officially sworn into the Us Marine Corps, going in with an 03 contract leave for bootcamp on January 9th

Comment

• Originally posted by PrsnrTransport View Post
                                I don't want to say that I'm glad you have to wait this long too, but it is comforting to know that it could be about the area we're in and not just the applicant. It does seem to go quicker out West.
                                You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.

-Jack London

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 17646 users online. 516 members and 17130 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X