300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by TheKansan View Post
    Yeah. When I had my oral last week, there were 8 of us. The first guy was out of there by 10:30am. I didn't leave until almost 2:00pm because I was last. No worries though, I passed. The 7 hour drive home seemed short and sweet after I received the good news.
    That's good news to know guys. I appreciate the heads up. Thanks.

Comment

• I have my OB on Friday. Gonna have to call in

Comment

• I just have a couple of questions that I am curious about before I apply, and i really don't feel like reading all 171 pages for answers. I have put in for a job with the Us Marshals, and I am on their waiting list to go to the academy, but the list is long. I would like to seek other options for employment.

I have over ten years of experience with a medium size metro-Atlanta full service Sheriff’s Office, and this includes Swat training, Field training officer, supervisor experience, and a bunch of other classes/experience to get into later. I also have approximately the equivalent hours of an associates degree. I would assume this would be enough to get me in under a Gs-9 pay scale?

I understand that Border Agents are not able to qualify for federal LEAP. What is the average amount, not the best case scenario , for overtime opportunities in a year? I hate to sound money driven, but I have to make sure I can afford to take a job. Is there any kind of 1811 (investigator) position that you can promote to in the Border Patrol, or is at all front line uniform agents?

What would be a ballpark guess of my promotion potential having a lot of law enforcement experience? Are the opportunities better for me than they would be for someone coming in with absolutely no experience, or is there no advantage whatsoever?

After a certain number of years, are you capable of transferring to another duty station?

Anyone "in the know" that can help out with some info, I would sure appreciate it. Thanks.
        Last edited by jtl323; 10-27-2010, 04:56 AM. Reason: grammar
        USMS Region 3
        Info Session: Aug 2009 (Atlanta)
        Interview: 10/26/09 (Atlanta)
        Conditional Offer: 1/15/10
        BackgroundInt: 2/1/10
        Medical:2/15/10
        MedicalReview: 4/15/10
        FIT: 5/10/10 (Excellent)
        Drug: 6/5/10
        Fletc: APRIL 6, 2011!!!
        Duty Station: Laredo,Tx

__________________________________________________ ______________________________
        Border Patrol AgentApplied: 11/15/10
        Written: 12/27/10
        NOR: 12/29/10 (96)
        To:
        Medical:

Comment

• Originally posted by jtl323 View Post
          I just have a couple of questions that I am curious about before I apply, and i really don't feel like reading all 171 pages for answers. I have put in for a job with the Us Marshals, and I am on their waiting list to go to the academy, but the list is long. I would like to seek other options for employment.

I have over ten years of experience with a medium size metro-Atlanta full service Sheriff’s Office, and this includes Swat training, Field training officer, supervisor experience, and a bunch of other classes/experience to get into later. I also have approximately the equivalent hours of an associates degree. I would assume this would be enough to get me in under a Gs-9 pay scale?
          It is likely you will qualify as a GS-9, but you won't find out until you apply.

I understand that Border Agents are not able to qualify for federal LEAP. What is the average amount, not the best case scenario , for overtime opportunities in a year? I hate to sound money driven, but I have to make sure I can afford to take a job. Is there any kind of 1811 (investigator) position that you can promote to in the Border Patrol, or is at all front line uniform agents?
          BPAs get AUO and the job goes to GS-12, so you will be making as much as US Marshals, if not more once you add in FLSA.
          What is Perseverance?
          -Perseverance is commitment, hard work, patience, endurance.
          -Perseverance is being able to bear difficulties calmly and without complaint.
          -PERSEVERANCE IS TRYING AGAIN AND AGAIN.

BOP - BPA - ICE

Comment

• I read on the honorfirst website (unofficial) that the AUO is approximate to 25% of your base. Is that accurate, and is it dependable, or could you go one quarter of the year with no OT, then the next quarter with, etc? I appreciate your fast response to my previous, thanks.
            USMS Region 3

__________________________________________________ ______________________________
            To:
            Medical:

Comment

• jtl323:

I have all of the law enforcement experience you have but I also have military and a Bachelors Degree, I have been qualified to enter as GL-9. It is my understanding that there are many opportunities within BP other than being on a line in uniform but I cannot speak from experience. There are no 1811 positions within the BP. I've also been told that overall experience and education will benefit you greatly when promotion opportunities present themselves and transferring is not as easy as you woul hope.

I recently spoke with a new marshal at my local office who just came from BP. According to him, money will not be a problem if your used to a local cop's pay like myself. It's all good!

Comment

• I ask some of my buddies that are in BP several questions, yet that question never comes up. I never really think about asking that question at that time. I will try to remember and ask, then post on here if no one has answered yet.
                On another note, I know a guy that just received his EOD. Jan 16th is his academy date. Moving quick...
                BPA
                BPA test date: 8/21/10
                TSU: 2/6/12
                EOD: ???

CBPO
                Got the call!
                PFT2: 3/23
                EOD: 4/9
                FLETC: May 11th - Sept 17th, 2012

Comment

• Originally posted by Raymart View Post
                  I ask some of my buddies that are in BP several questions, yet that question never comes up. I never really think about asking that question at that time. I will try to remember and ask, then post on here if no one has answered yet.
                  On another note, I know a guy that just received his EOD. Jan 16th is his academy date. Moving quick...
                  When did your friend apply because I haven't heard of anyone getting EOD from this new hiring announcement.
                  BPA -
                  Applied--8/01/10 Exam--8/30/10 NOR-9/01/10 (105) TSL-9/15/10 TSL2-10/14/10 OB--11/30/10 Med/PFT--03/09/11 Drug Test--3/29/11 --E-QIP update-4/12/2011- BI Interview---6/20/11 POLY--11/22/11 PASSED
                  TSU---12-12-2011 5-2-2012 EOD---6-11-2012

Comment

I read on the honorfirst website (unofficial) that the AUO is approximate to 25% of your base. Is that accurate, and is it dependable, or could you go one quarter of the year with no OT, then the next quarter with, etc? I appreciate your fast response to my previous, thanks.

AUO is 25% of your base pay provided you work an average of 49 hours per week. If you work less, your AUO will "eventually" go down. I say eventually because your AUO is based on the previous couple pay periods. It used to be a quarterly average, but I think it is 6 weeks now.

In addition to your AUO, you get something called FLSA (around 10% of base) that kicks in after 85 (I could be wrong) hours a pay period (2 weeks). This is another little extra chunk of change that kind of makes your hours over 40/week worth time and a half.

|-------------------------------------|--------------|----------------
                    ............Base Pay (80 hrs)...................AUO (25%).....Hours over 98/pp ($0)
                    .....(sorry, had to put this line in).............|----------------------
                    .................................................. .................FLSA (10%)

As you can see, you stop making base after 80 hours and AUO after 98 hours in the pay period. If you opt to work more you are only making FLSA. That is why you'll generally see people just work 100 hours per pay period (10 hrs per day), unless of course they need to stay late.

All stations/sectors are different. Generally you will always be able to work your AUO. It is not guaranteed, but I've never had a non-personal issue that prevented me from working it.

There are no 1811 positions within the BP
                    Technically he is right, there are no 1811 positions. However, Sectors and Stations generally have positions that perform the same duties as a typical 1811. These are what are called details and can last upwards of 2 years, sometimes more.

For instance, you're station will likely have an intelligence unit that builds cases and does investigations through interrogations, surveillance, statistical analysis, seizing vehicles, etc.

Then you will have a sector intelligence unit that does similar things, but on a higher level, and may also include satellite imagery.

Also, you might have details on various task forces. They may include Narcotic Task-Force, Gang Task-Force, the ICE lead Border Enforcement Security Task-Force (BEST). There will also be details to work with FBI, DEA, ATF, Marshals, etc.
                    Last edited by o2force; 10-27-2010, 09:12 AM.

Comment

I just have a couple of questions that I am curious about before I apply, and i really don't feel like reading all 171 pages for answers. I have put in for a job with the Us Marshals, and I am on their waiting list to go to the academy, but the list is long. I would like to seek other options for employment.

As long as you write up your experience correctly that should qualify you for GL-9. If you start off as a GL-9 you should be at the full gs-12 journeyman level with less than two years on the job.

I understand that Border Agents are not able to qualify for federal LEAP. What is the average amount, not the best case scenario , for overtime opportunities in a year? I hate to sound money driven, but I have to make sure I can afford to take a job.
                      You get 25% AUO plus FLSA, which actually comes out to more money than making 25% LEAP pay. There is a 35k per year premium(overtime) pay cap. They usually give cap waivers to Special operations units (Bortac, Borstar) and they used to regularly give waivers to canine handlers. With the GS-12 upgrade the cap is becoming a much bigger issue that has not yet been resolved.

Is there any kind of 1811 (investigator) position that you can promote to in the Border Patrol, or is at all front line uniform agents?
                      No 1811 position. There are specialty units,like Intel, Disrupt, Bortac, Borstar, etc that you can apply for.

What would be a ballpark guess of my promotion potential having a lot of law enforcement experience? Are the opportunities better for me than they would be for someone coming in with absolutely no experience, or is there no advantage whatsoever?
                      All of that would figure in on your Career Experience Inventory, which is part of your sup test score. Your sup test score gets you on the list for a given supervisory opening. Once a list is made, selections are made based upon your interview, your ratings from your current BP sups, and your experience within the BP. Your experience will be helpful, but you can't just simply point to your past accomplishments and hope to get selected. Your job performance in the BP will be the biggest factor.
                      Normally, people that come to the BP with extensive prior LE experience are very successful at the job.

After a certain number of years, are you capable of transferring to another duty station?
                      Yes, periodically they offer relocation opportunities. A transfer to a desirable location is not always that easy to get. For the current relocation announcement, seniority is the deciding factor. Relocation opportunities are there but it is not really something that you can plan for or expect (unless your heart's desire is to go to Ajo, AZ).
                      Last edited by BigPat; 10-27-2010, 10:11 AM.

Comment

• I just got through my Oral Board in San Diego. I learned some interesting things. Before the interview the two Agents said the new hires are going everywhere, but the majority were going to Tucson. They also both said that the department turned down Polygraph's and that only a few randomly are selected to take a polygraph.

Comment

• I just recieved my letter for the OB! My OB is next Thursday, November 4th in Nashville, TN! Anyone else going that day?

Comment

• Originally posted by BF280 View Post
                            I just recieved my letter for the OB! My OB is next Thursday, November 4th in Nashville, TN! Anyone else going that day?
                            Have you done your medical yet? I'm waiting on the medical
                            BPA -
                            Applied--8/01/10 Exam--8/30/10 NOR-9/01/10 (105) TSL-9/15/10 TSL2-10/14/10 OB--11/30/10 Med/PFT--03/09/11 Drug Test--3/29/11 --E-QIP update-4/12/2011- BI Interview---6/20/11 POLY--11/22/11 PASSED
                            TSU---12-12-2011 5-2-2012 EOD---6-11-2012

Comment

• So, what is the actual grade progression rate? One website says that if you start at Gs-9, it is one year to Gs10, then one to Gs-11 (?) then one to top out at Gs-12. Then another says that it is 6 months from Gs-9 to 10, 6months from 10 to 11(?), etc. You all have been great with your info, thank you very much.
                              USMS Region 3

To:
                              Medical:

Comment

• Are there any areas that they are actually hiring for that would even come close to qualifying for a locality pay increase, or are you so far out in the desert that you are s*#@ outta luck ?
                                USMS Region 3

To:
                                Medical:

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3599 users online. 247 members and 3352 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X