300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi everyone,
    Ok, the only stupid question is one that isn't asked, so here it goes: I've been a cop for about 15 years (FTO, Detective, SWAT, Supervisor). 13 years full time and the last 2 years as a Level 1 Reserve. I'm doing the BPA process right now. Any advice from people who've gone through something similar? I don't want to come off as a know-it-all, because I know what I don't know, but I want to make sure my experience is noted appropriately. I've got certificates up the wazoo, tons of atta boys, no "oh $hi+'s and 3 cleared OIS. I'm nervous, excited, apprehensive and just plain curious. No OB, but just sent back my packet 2 days ago and no change in CASS. Thanks in advance! SC
    Timeline:
    Written: 8/31/10 (LAX)
    NOR: 9/2/10 (86%) NVP
    Qualified GL9
    TSL1: 9/22/10
    TSL2- Eqip: 10/22/10
    OHB: 11/01/10 (Passed)

Comment

• For those who have gotten OBs and Medical/PFT1, how long has it taken from when they receive your paper work until get your notice for medical or OBs.

Thanks
      BPA -
      Applied--8/01/10 Exam--8/30/10 NOR-9/01/10 (105) TSL-9/15/10 TSL2-10/14/10 OB--11/30/10 Med/PFT--03/09/11 Drug Test--3/29/11 --E-QIP update-4/12/2011- BI Interview---6/20/11 POLY--11/22/11 PASSED
      TSU---12-12-2011 5-2-2012 EOD---6-11-2012

Comment

• Originally posted by sk8ter1978
        thats strange My OB came by itself wonder why you got the cards as well.
        Yup, by itself as well. No cards or attachments.

Originally posted by Sgt. Slaughter View Post
        Not likely. Why would they weed through a thread started over 2 years ago? IIRC, there's another thread around here entitled "Recent Border Patrol exam" or something along those lines.
        It's a long, long, long thread to follow. I know some have been waiting just that long (two years to get hired). Funny how just talking about a government job brings piles of paperwork and crumb trailS to follow for miles.

Comment

• So I was just re reading through "what can I expect next" and it says

("The BI may take 4 to 5 months once we receive
          your completed BI forms; this process may take longer if issues are uncovered.")

My question is I never recieved any forms to fill out?
          So where do I get these forms?

thanks!

Comment

• They email you the background forms.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ranger175 View Post
              For those who have gotten OBs and Medical/PFT1, how long has it taken from when they receive your paper work until get your notice for medical or OBs.

Thanks
              In the TO, it says I believe within 30 days for one and 45 days for the other. Not sure if that window is from the TO or receipt of part I on the packet.

Comment

• beats me man

Originally posted by sk8ter1978
                thats strange My OB came by itself wonder why you got the cards as well.
                I received them both the same day. Seperate envelopes but some day.

Comment

• H
                  Originally posted by BigPat View Post
                  If you are really intending to join the Border Patrol, please grow some thicker skin. Thanks.
                  +1
                  If you get upset over a forum. Wait till you get to the line. To be in any Leo job you better be able to take sarcasm, insults, and criticism. This job doesn't love you back.
                  Saint Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle, be our protection against the wickedness and snares of the devil; may God rebuke him, we humbly pray and do thou, O Prince of the heavenly host, by the power of God, thrust into hell Satan and all evil spirits who wander through the world for the ruin of souls. Amen.

Comment

• The background is filled out electronically then printed and is what everyone is refering to when you hear "e-QIP". This is emailed to you with instructions and link. The paper version is called an SF-68. If you have not received an email with e-qip, you can always start with the SF-68 (google it) then transfer the info to e-qip. Remember, they are only accepting e-qip so don't send in the SF-68. The fingerprint cards are mailed to you and you can only use the ones they send so don't bother searching and printing SF-87a form. It looks like some people are getting ther finger cards with OB letter and others are recieving them after OB letter. Like myself. I received my OB and a week later was emailed q-qip info but no fingerprint cards yet. They will probably be in my mailbox when I get home.

Good luck....

Comment

• Received my OB letter yesterday. Looks like my interview will be on October 13 (2.5 weeks from now). I'm excited!!!
                      Last edited by BPA n 2011; 09-24-2010, 04:31 AM.
                      BPA - SW
                      App - 7/15/10 | Exam - 8/18/10 | NOR - 8/25/10 | TO - 9/10/10 | TO (2) - 10/1/10 | OB - 10/13/10 - Passed! | Med/PFT1 - 11/5/10 - Passed! | Drug Screening - 2/9/11 | Background - 4/26/11 / 5/5/11 - Initial Contact / Met Investigator | Polygraph - 9/2/11 - Informed by examiner of passing...pending IA approval

Comment

• Originally posted by BPA n 2011 View Post
                        Received my OB letter yesterday. Looks like I will need to report on October 13 (2.5 weeks from now). I'm excited!!!
                        How long from when you sent your paper work did you hear something?
                        BPA -
                        Applied--8/01/10 Exam--8/30/10 NOR-9/01/10 (105) TSL-9/15/10 TSL2-10/14/10 OB--11/30/10 Med/PFT--03/09/11 Drug Test--3/29/11 --E-QIP update-4/12/2011- BI Interview---6/20/11 POLY--11/22/11 PASSED

Comment

I just sent back my TO papers this past Monday, September 20th.
                          BPA - SW
                          App - 7/15/10 | Exam - 8/18/10 | NOR - 8/25/10 | TO - 9/10/10 | TO (2) - 10/1/10 | OB - 10/13/10 - Passed! | Med/PFT1 - 11/5/10 - Passed! | Drug Screening - 2/9/11 | Background - 4/26/11 / 5/5/11 - Initial Contact / Met Investigator | Polygraph - 9/2/11 - Informed by examiner of passing...pending IA approval

Comment

• Has anyone else on here ever run into any problems with Border Patrol applicant residency requirement which states that you must have physically resided in the US for the past three years. If you haven't resided in the US for that period of time, you can't apply unless you can be granted an exception waiver. The exception waivers are basically only for people who were in the military or the people who worked as contractors overseas.

I think that policy is stupid. Let's say someone wants to improve their Spanish language proficiency (to improve their chances of getting hired) so they go down to Panama or Costa Rica for six months to study at a school, which is not part of study abroad program, on their own dime. That person just DQed themself for the next three years.

Way to go BP. Another brillant policy which will probably prevent a lot of good applicants from applying.

I don't see why the BP can't do an overseas background check. I'm sure the Secret Service and Diplomatic Sec. Service do a lot of background checks which involve applicants who have resided overseas.

Comment

Thanks I was wondering about a timeline to hear about the next step, my paper work got there yesterday.
                              BPA -

Comment

• Originally posted by bozo View Post
                                Has anyone else on here ever run into any problems with Border Patrol applicant residency requirement which states that you must have physically resided in the US for the past three years. If you haven't resided in the US for that period of time, you can't apply unless you can be granted an exception waiver. The exception waivers are basically only for people who were in the military or the people who worked as contractors overseas.

I think that policy is stupid. Let's say someone wants to improve their Spanish language proficiency (to improve their chances of getting hired) so they go down to Panama or Costa Rica for six months to study at a school, which is not part of study abroad program, on their own dime. That person just DQed themself for the next three years.

Way to go BP. Another brillant policy which will probably prevent a lot of good applicants from applying.

I don't see why the BP can't do an overseas background check. I'm sure the Secret Service and Diplomatic Sec. Service do a lot of background checks which involve applicants who have resided overseas.
                                Last year I was in Panama for 4 months as I was born there (Canal Zone 4-Ever!!) and most of my family still lives there. I'm still pushing through the process and will bring it up with my background investigator. Since I was unemployed at the time, I consider this a "short trip abroad, such as vacations". I've been back working ever since. I might get shot down but at least I'm trying and so far SO GOOD!! You should do the same and just explain when it comes up.

A background check in a foreign country such as Panama would be too costly, time consuming and not to mention easily falsified. Believe me, money talks in Latin America. Ask anyone who has been pulled over for a traffic violation in Central America. The best a Background Investigator can hope for is to talk to people you knew or know in that foreign country.
                                Last edited by CZ_Kid; 09-24-2010, 05:20 AM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6164 users online. 450 members and 5714 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X