300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by GitmoVet View Post
    I understand completely. I think it is a good suggestion, and I'm not discounting it. But if I can get the location I want, I wouldn't turn it down, if it came first. I'm pretty flexible, and want this job wherever they put me. I did apply for north and south. But I'd rather be up north near home, if I can get it.
    Regardless of whether you would rather be home, you are better off going to the southern border. 18 months is not enough to learn the job. The work on the northern border is not that great, ESPECIALLY for those inexperienced in BP type work. If you really want to gain a worthwhile experience from this job you will want to go to a busy station on the southern border.

Comment

• Originally posted by GTO23 View Post
      Thank you for the information. I feel better about taking the test now. I'm just going to study as much as I can, and hopefully with that and my vet preferance points, I can cut something in the 90's.

Lol hey man, I'm in the Navy. What you trying to say??? lol jk! Yeah, Navy bootcamp isn't hard, but I've always been into the gym, so PT with me is no big deal. I will def. put a lot into it. The only thing that would really bother be is the interview. Never really been to one before, so I would probably be nervous. Are you already a border patrol agent? Just wondering if you had some tips for the interview if I make it that far?

Well, hopefully all works out and I have a job waiting for me. 10 more months!!
      GTO:

I'm a former Marine...it's my duty to give NAVY guys crap! It's all good though, if you've been in the gym and can run a couple miles in under a day just keep working at it.

To answer your question, no I am not an Agent. However, I have two good friends that are and know the guys in Bloomington, MN pretty good. As far as the interview goes, relax, be yourself and answer the questions honestly. Don't try to tell them what you think they want to hear. If they've been interviewing people for any length of time they probably have a pretty good BS detector.

As far as the test goes, like one of the other forum members said, if you're going to study put the emphasis on the ALT (Artificial Language Test). The logical reasoning part is more about understanding what you read and is not terribly difficult. HOwever, like another forum member said, better to study and not need it than to not study.

Comment

• I understand leases are a pretty penny, but doesn't Texas have state owned public game lands, where all that is needed is the purchase of a hunting license? Or there is always the option sniffing out a friend who happens to own a chunk of land or who is a farmer. That's how it is up here in PA.
        BPA

Tested--8/12/2008-97%
        Fitness---09/02/2008--Passed
        Oral Board---8/21/2008--Passed
        Med---09/02/2008--Passed
        Drug Test-9/18/2008- Passed
        Pre-Employment Forms---11/08/2008--Completed
        Background Investigation- 11/08/2008---Passed

Quals-8/22/2008 Submitted-Pending

CBPO

Tested---98%---8/5/2008

MCIIS(Mercyhurst Institute For Intelligence Studies)

Bachelor's Degree--3.6 GPA--11/13/2008[/SIZE]

Comment

• Going for my oral interview Friday in Massena, NY. Any advice? what kind of questions do they ask? Is there anything I should bring?
          Tested--07/12/2008-passed
          pre-employment papers--08/22/2008-completed
          oral board--08/29/2008--passed
          medical/fitness--09/02/2008--passed
          drug test--09/03/2008--passed
          background investigation--09/18/2008--complete
          qualifications--completed
          referred to TSU--9/26/08--completed
          EOD 10/20--

Comment

• Originally posted by wickedrr View Post
            what kind of questions do they ask?
            Remember that question while signing your non-disclosure agreement.

Comment

• Originally posted by wickedrr View Post
              Going for my oral interview Friday in Massena, NY. Any advice? what kind of questions do they ask? Is there anything I should bring?
              Don't look like a clown and wear a suit. I was a little surprised to see what people were wearing to theirs, even if it was one of those 'all in one' days (medical/physical/OB in one day)
              "Officer, you are kinda hot."

"And you are kinda intoxicated."

Comment

• Hey wickedrr

Cant tell you what kind of questions but its the most unpleasant part of the process. Still, you'll do fine as long as you listen, think then talk. Good luck.
                Standing by to stand by

Comment

• Originally posted by madchiken View Post
                  Remember that question while signing your non-disclosure agreement.
                  Oops..I just meant generally speaking, not exact questions. I guess nevermind.
                  Tested--07/12/2008-passed
                  pre-employment papers--08/22/2008-completed
                  oral board--08/29/2008--passed
                  medical/fitness--09/02/2008--passed
                  drug test--09/03/2008--passed
                  background investigation--09/18/2008--complete
                  qualifications--completed
                  referred to TSU--9/26/08--completed
                  EOD 10/20--

Comment

• Advice.....Good luck, that all your really permitted to say.
                    BPA

Tested--8/12/2008-97%
                    Med---09/02/2008--Passed

CBPO

Tested---98%---8/5/2008

Comment

• MadChicken, or anyone else with vast amounts of BPA experience,

In between the time frame of "getting the call" to graduating the academy, when is a good time to move my wife to to wherever I get stationed.

And speaking of my wife and going back to the topic of South Texas, what stations are close to good colleges? I know she really wants to go back and I wouldn't mind going part time for my masters...That is if BP is going to pay for it, at least that is what the recruiter told me (For me, not the wife).

Also, how is "family support" within the stations. The Marine Corps had programs upon programs to counter balance quality of life for families. Are the Border Patrol Stations as welcoming?

And just to set things straight, I understand that I will not will not be ushered in high on some mountain. I know I will have to earn the respect from my superiors. I just want ensure a smooth transition for my wife, who cautiously willing to accept my next possible career move as it is.
                      BPA

Tested--8/12/2008-97%
                      Med---09/02/2008--Passed

CBPO

Tested---98%---8/5/2008

Comment

• Originally posted by momnie48 View Post
                        MadChicken, or anyone else with vast amounts of BPA experience,

In between the time frame of "getting the call" to graduating the academy, when is a good time to move my wife to to wherever I get stationed.
                        That all depends on how much money you have to relocate as well as how confident you are that you will complete the academy. The leave that they give you at the end of the academy is not a whole lot of time to relocate. You probably want to move as soon as you can (as long as you are confident that you will pass the academy).

And speaking of my wife and going back to the topic of South Texas, what stations are close to good colleges? I know she really wants to go back and I wouldn't mind going part time for my masters...That is if BP is going to pay for it, at least that is what the recruiter told me (For me, not the wife).
                        In South Texas you have colleges in Brownsville, Edinburg, Kingsville, Laredo, and Corpus Christi. They are smaller public universities but should be sufficient as long as you aren't expecting Ivy League quality schools. Even your more remote stations like Hebbronville or Falfurrias are within an hours drive of one of these schools.

I have never heard of the Border Patrol paying for your college. Also be aware that you will probably be working some pretty long hours, especially as a trainee. Keep in mind that just about every station in South Texas rotates shifts every 2-3 pay periods, which makes it very difficult to schedule college classes. School can be done but it is not quick or easy.

Also, how is "family support" within the stations. The Marine Corps had programs upon programs to counter balance quality of life for families. Are the Border Patrol Stations as welcoming?

And just to set things straight, I understand that I will not will not be ushered in high on some mountain. I know I will have to earn the respect from my superiors. I just want ensure a smooth transition for my wife, who cautiously willing to accept my next possible career move as it is.
                        This all depends on your station. Most stations have some kind of formal morale group that provides support and activities for the agent's families. People are usually good about helping out and welcoming new agents and their families. When I was deployed in Iraq people from my station checked on my wife even though I live about 45 minutes away from the station and the town where most of my coworkers live. Border Patrol agents are usually pretty good about taking care of each other.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tirofijo View Post
                          The BP started last year trying to hire 6,000 new agents by the end of 2008. That's more positions than qualified people. So rather than competing against other applicants, you are competing to beat the minimum scores on the test and pass the oral board.

It's good if you are trying to get hired. You'll have to ask a current agent whether it's good for the Patrol in the long run.
                          Thanks for the information. Wow, 6,000 new positions? That's awesome! Hopefully I do well on the test.... and the interview.

Comment

• Originally posted by MNCop2b View Post
                            GTO:

I'm a former Marine...it's my duty to give NAVY guys crap! It's all good though, if you've been in the gym and can run a couple miles in under a day just keep working at it.

To answer your question, no I am not an Agent. However, I have two good friends that are and know the guys in Bloomington, MN pretty good. As far as the interview goes, relax, be yourself and answer the questions honestly. Don't try to tell them what you think they want to hear. If they've been interviewing people for any length of time they probably have a pretty good BS detector.

As far as the test goes, like one of the other forum members said, if you're going to study put the emphasis on the ALT (Artificial Language Test). The logical reasoning part is more about understanding what you read and is not terribly difficult. HOwever, like another forum member said, better to study and not need it than to not study.
                            Lol yeah we all have to give each other crap.. Yeah, if I make it to the interview, I think I will do okay. I know I will be nervous as hell though. Still waiting for my book, but when I get it I'm going to study like crazy. Actually have to take a day of leave to get down there to take it... Thanks for the info!

Comment

• Well, I just found out that I'm going out to sea, four days after I take the test. At least I'll make it to that... I'm just trying to figure out what I'm going to do now if I get called in for a interview and I'm on the boat? Maybe I should let them know in advance?

Comment

• Another question:

When I was a teenager, I got in a fight with my parents. Was just a big arguement, but I was arrested for domestic volience. It sounds so much worse then it really was... Anyways, all the charges were dropped against me, because it was really minor and well I had no priors. But, I was still arrested. Any ideas on how much this will affect my BI? It was like 5 years ago...

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4038 users online. 194 members and 3844 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X