300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by GTO23 View Post
    I appreciate the help! I just ordered the book so it should arrive here in a few days. Be honest though,well of course depending on me, do you think if I study the free study guide untill the book I purchased arrives, and then hit that up hard, I will be ready by sep 12th? Also, If say worst case I don't pass or get a score I'm not happy with can I retest?
    How you study for it is up to you. Personally I was still finishing my degree when I took the test, so I knocked out the study guide in under a week and felt prepared, but that could have been because I was in the 'academic mode' already. I just know that the prep book offered on amazon helped me a bunch. You can retest in a matter of months if you fail. I think it was either a 6 month or 3 month buffer; I'm going to go with 6 but someone might have to correct me on that.

I looked up the veteran preferance points and I do qualify for 5 so I hope that helps?

Will my military experience aid in me being selected?
    I thought that just being a veteran gained you 5 points on top of your raw score, but I honestly don't know as I'm not a veteran. To the second question: USAJOBS says that as long as you have one year work experience in ANYTHING, you qualify for the starting pay grade. Military experience might up your score, or maybe it gets you on a higher pay grade, but again, I'm not a veteran, so I dunno. There are plenty of vets who apply to be a BPA, so look around the thread.

Where you in the miltary or are you currently a boarder patrol agent? This looks like a awesome job where I can continue on with government service? Do you have any other advice?
    I am neither. Check out this thread a bit to see what questions are posed and who is answering them; You'll find out quickly who the BPAs are. There's a lot of information in the thread, and the BPAs don't seem to have a problem answering most of the questions. The search button on the top of the page is your friend too.
    "Officer, you are kinda hot."

"And you are kinda intoxicated."

Comment

• Sounds good. Thank you for all the help and information you provided. I'll see you around the forum. Take care.

Comment

I appreciate the help! I just ordered the book so it should arrive here in a few days. Be honest though,well of course depending on me, do you think if I study the free study guide untill the book I purchased arrives, and then hit that up hard, I will be ready by sep 12th? Also, If say worst case I don't pass or get a score I'm not happy with can I retest?

I looked up the veteran preferance points and I do qualify for 5 so I hope that helps?

Will my military experience aid in me being selected?

Where you in the miltary or are you currently a boarder patrol agent? This looks like a awesome job where I can continue on with government service? Do you have any other advice?

Thanks!!

Brian

GTO:

Don't stress about the test. I looked at the study guide for about an hour total and passed the test with a 97 including my 5 points vet's pref. It was not that difficult. If you have aproblem with following rules of grammar you might want to put some time into it. Af far as re-testing, if you fail you can re-test but you have to wait 3 months.

Your veteran's preference points are added to your raw test score and the test score itself is your ranking when the offers come down. Someone who scores a 90 will get called before someone who scores 80 and so on, so it behooves you to do well on the test and not just pass it. (All that info came from the Minneapolis hiring center)

As far as military experience aiding in selection? Maybe not, after the test it's all about the medical and the interview. If you don't interview well then your chances may not be that great. Where your military experience will come in handy is at the academy. You've been through some sort of recruit training (God help you if it's NAVY or Air Force) so you know when to look, listen and shut up. However, if you're not able to pass a PFT or AFT...start running.

Comment

• Thank you for the information. I feel better about taking the test now. I'm just going to study as much as I can, and hopefully with that and my vet preferance points, I can cut something in the 90's.

Lol hey man, I'm in the Navy. What you trying to say??? lol jk! Yeah, Navy bootcamp isn't hard, but I've always been into the gym, so PT with me is no big deal. I will def. put a lot into it. The only thing that would really bother be is the interview. Never really been to one before, so I would probably be nervous. Are you already a border patrol agent? Just wondering if you had some tips for the interview if I make it that far?

Well, hopefully all works out and I have a job waiting for me. 10 more months!!
          Originally posted by MNCop2b View Post
          GTO:

Don't stress about the test. I looked at the study guide for about an hour total and passed the test with a 97 including my 5 points vet's pref. It was not that difficult. If you have aproblem with following rules of grammar you might want to put some time into it. Af far as re-testing, if you fail you can re-test but you have to wait 3 months.

Your veteran's preference points are added to your raw test score and the test score itself is your ranking when the offers come down. Someone who scores a 90 will get called before someone who scores 80 and so on, so it behooves you to do well on the test and not just pass it. (All that info came from the Minneapolis hiring center)

As far as military experience aiding in selection? Maybe not, after the test it's all about the medical and the interview. If you don't interview well then your chances may not be that great. Where your military experience will come in handy is at the academy. You've been through some sort of recruit training (God help you if it's NAVY or Air Force) so you know when to look, listen and shut up. However, if you're not able to pass a PFT or AFT...start running.

Comment

• Originally posted by momnie48 View Post
            So what does anybody know about south Texas. It seems to me like it might be the greenest area on the southern border. Also I am and avid deer hunter. Many of the hunting shows on TV take place in southern Texas, looks like there are a lot of big deer down there!!
            They sure do have some hog whitetails down in TX--at least from all the vids I've seen. South TX would have been my first choice were it not for all the hurricanes. I choose AZ, which has the best elk hunting, assuming you can get drawn for the tags

I have been wondering whether I'd start to hate hunting after being a BPA, however. One of the reasons I love hunting so much is that its an escape from the office routine. However, if I'm out hunting humans all day long, would I still look forward to changing clothes, weapons, and going after another species?

Comment

• Originally posted by MNCop2b View Post
              GTO:

Be careful with some of this advice. Just because one person found it easy doesn't mean that you won't fail it unless you prepare for it. We don't know how "smart" the OP or MNCop are. Maybe OP is a rock and MNCop is some sort of logic wizard. The bottom line is that a large percentage fail the test. Better to study and not need it than need it and not study.

Originally posted by MNCop2b View Post
              the test score itself is your ranking when the offers come down. Someone who scores a 90 will get called before someone who scores 80 and so on, so it behooves you to do well on the test and not just pass it. (All that info came from the Minneapolis hiring center)
              That's old information. Everyone that passes the test gets called for the oral board, sooner rather than later. There doesn't seem to be ranking or order of merit list anymore.

Comment

• Tirofijo, I'm still going to study really had for the test. Hopefully, it will pay off and I will get a passing score. I wonder if that's good that you don't get called into interviews based on your test score anymore? Sounds like a good deal, but if everyone is getting called in for interviews... idk.

Comment

• I got a message last night from the DHS Medical screening saying that they sent me a medical self assesment form because my last one expired. They also said I was being expedited through hiring so I should send it back ASAP. Problem is I don't know which agency is asking, as I have apps in for four separate DHS agencies. I left a message today and will call again tomorrow. Either way it looks good for having employment soon!
                  USSCP
                  Faxed App 7/28/10
                  Received notice of testing 8/28/2010
                  Test Scheduled 9/9/2010

Comment

I wonder if that's good that you don't get called into interviews based on your test score anymore? Sounds like a good deal, but if everyone is getting called in for interviews... idk.

The BP started last year trying to hire 6,000 new agents by the end of 2008. That's more positions than qualified people. So rather than competing against other applicants, you are competing to beat the minimum scores on the test and pass the oral board.

It's good if you are trying to get hired. You'll have to ask a current agent whether it's good for the Patrol in the long run.

Comment

• Had my interview today...All went well, I have to admit...they had me worried at first.

Now I'm working on getting through this paper work...It's crazy!!!! I don't think I had anywhere near this much when I got my security clearance. It is about two days work in itself.

About how long before the next step comes through? I should have everything mailed off by Friday.
                      BPA

Tested--8/12/2008-97%
                      Fitness---09/02/2008--Passed
                      Oral Board---8/21/2008--Passed
                      Med---09/02/2008--Passed
                      Drug Test-9/18/2008- Passed
                      Pre-Employment Forms---11/08/2008--Completed
                      Background Investigation- 11/08/2008---Passed

Quals-8/22/2008 Submitted-Pending

CBPO

Tested---98%---8/5/2008

MCIIS(Mercyhurst Institute For Intelligence Studies)

Bachelor's Degree--3.6 GPA--11/13/2008[/SIZE]

Comment

• I studied for about 2 hours a day 2 days before the test, and I scored a 92 without my vets points. Just take your time and make sure you understand the questions before you answer them. Also watch the DVD they send with the study material. If you are going to focus on one thing, let it be the ALT. Understand how the rules work, and be prepared. They will probably be different rules on the test, but just by having an understanding of how they works makes a huge difference.

But really just like anything else...The more you practice the better chances you have at succeeding. There is no such thing as over studying.

You won't have to worry about getting too high of a grade!!
                        BPA

Tested--8/12/2008-97%
                        Med---09/02/2008--Passed

CBPO

Tested---98%---8/5/2008

Comment

• I have been wondering whether I'd start to hate hunting after being a BPA, however. One of the reasons I love hunting so much is that its an escape from the office routine. However, if I'm out hunting humans all day long, would I still look forward to changing clothes, weapons, and going after another species? [/QUOTE]

I thought I would loose interest spending 4 years in the Marines and a tour in Iraq, but all it took was one good archery season to get bit with the bug again. At this point I don't think I could ever get tired of having a huge buck walk right under my tree stand, and having my heart pounding out of my chest as I'm trying to not make a sound drawing back my bow and waiting for the "shot"
                          BPA

Tested--8/12/2008-97%
                          Med---09/02/2008--Passed

CBPO

Tested---98%---8/5/2008

Comment

• Originally posted by GitmoVet View Post
                            I got a message last night from the DHS Medical screening saying that they sent me a medical self assesment form because my last one expired. They also said I was being expedited through hiring so I should send it back ASAP. Problem is I don't know which agency is asking, as I have apps in for four separate DHS agencies. I left a message today and will call again tomorrow. Either way it looks good for having employment soon!
                            That medical should cover you for everything DHS related. As long as the standards are the same for each position, you will clear them all at once.

GL mate!

Comment

So what does anybody know about south Texas. It seems to me like it might be the greenest area on the southern border. Also I am and avid deer hunter. Many of the hunting shows on TV take place in southern Texas, looks like there are a lot of big deer down in that area!!
                              I myself am not big into hunting. However, from what I do know, you pay a hefty premium to hunt in South Texas (although the hunting is very good). Now as far as the REAL hunting goes (tracking down undocumented aliens)- I have no idea about Laedo Sector. However, in the Mcallen (now Rio grande valley) sector, the work is good in Kingsville, Falfurrias, McAllen, and Rio Grande City. I have heard that business is picking up in Ft. brown and Harlingen but I am unsure how true this is. In South Texas the work is good and the housing is cheap. Keep that in mind.

I am from New Orleans. When I was offered a job with the Border Patrol, I had a choice between San Diego and Kingsville, TX. Believe it or not, I picked Kingsville, I do not regret my choice.

Good luck in the hiring process.

Comment

[I]

I thought I would loose interest spending 4 years in the Marines and a tour in Iraq, but all it took was one good archery season to get bit with the bug again. At this point I don't think I could ever get tired of having a huge buck walk right under my tree stand, and having my heart pounding out of my chest as I'm trying to not make a sound drawing back my bow and waiting for the "shot"
                                South Texas has plenty of good deer leases as long as you are willing to pay big $$$
                                Last edited by BigPat; 08-22-2008, 12:25 AM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 18011 users online. 475 members and 17536 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X