300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SAAS13 View Post
    I have not been able to find the answer to this: is everyone now taking the polygraph, or are they still doing only certain applicants?...
    I've heard rumor that the answer to this question is yes. I haven't seen anything written or heard it from the mouth of any top brass, however.
    FBI CI 1811:
    June 2007: Applied
    July 2007: Phase I
    October 2010: Phase II
    March 2011: PFT, PSI, Polygraph, Medical
    April 2011: BI, Spouse Interview

Critical Skills: accounting & FLEO

Comment

• Originally posted by Evangellon View Post
      I've heard rumor that the answer to this question is yes. I haven't seen anything written or heard it from the mouth of any top brass, however.
      Were you answering the first or second part of his statement? I'm assuming and heard that they are going to poly every applicant here on out.

Comment

• LOL oops, mea culpa. They don't call me the local village idiot for nuttin'. Yes, the rumor is that every new applicant will be polygraphed. That's what happens when two questions are asked at once ;-)
        FBI CI 1811:

Comment

• They've been saying for 3 or 4 years that they want to poly every applicant. Its no rumor.

Comment

• Originally posted by Evangellon View Post
            You didn't need to actually state that you've never had the poly for the fact to be obvious. The polygraph is not a mind reader. "Just" telling the truth isn't a guarantee to pass. Pathological liars can pass a polygraph test. The poly measures physiological responses as you answer questions. My suggestion in order to pass would be to get several days consistent sleep, and to skip the coffee the morning of, and of course: tell the truth. If you're jittery, even if telling the truth, it could be a disaster in the hands of an inexperienced polygrapher. $0.02.
            Okay then, sorry. I honestly just don't know anything about the process and I really would hate to see myself or someone else fail not because things they have done, but because they were just too nervous. When I was in the process with the Secret Service, all they told me was to be honest and tell the truth. He basically told me that's how I would fail (and not to look up online how to pass a polygraph, of course). I'm now regretting pulling myself out of that process right before the polygraph because I decided the Uniform Division was not for me. I could have used the experience.

Thanks for the clarification on actually having to take it, too.
            Border Patrol Agent (SWB)
            Applied: 7/14/10
            Exam: 8/18/10
            Exam Results: 8/24/10 (99 w/o Vet. Points)
            TSL 1: 9/10/10
            TSL 2/E-QIP: 10/1/10
            Medical/PFT1: 10/15/10
            Oral Board: 10/26/10 (Passed)
            Drug Test: 2/3/11
            B.I. Interview: 3/30/11
            TSU: 7/21/11
            Final Offer: 7/22/11 (Naco, AZ)
            EOD: 8/15/11
            Academy: 8/22/11

Comment

• Originally posted by madchiken View Post
              They've been saying for 3 or 4 years that they want to poly every applicant. Its no rumor.
              National security issue/clearances, and also when some BPAs have applied to other fed LE positions, they were not able to pass poly and hit on some very obvious areas. I know this from speaking to a recruiter and the polygrapher who worked for a fed LE agency major field division office.

Comment

• SAAS13,
                No worries. Its normal to be very inquisitive about the process to get the job you want. I think its good advice to avoid looking into the specifics about trying to trick the polygraph. I and many others received the advice to get several good nights sleep and avoid the caffeine. Relax, focus, don't let your mind wander, and you'll do great.
                FBI CI 1811:

Comment

Last edited by SHU; 07-02-2019, 12:46 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by avalon42 View Post
                    National security issue/clearances, and also when some BPAs have applied to other fed LE positions, they were not able to pass poly and hit on some very obvious areas. I know this from speaking to a recruiter and the polygrapher who worked for a fed LE agency major field division office.
                    Funny because neither the US Marshals nor ICE require their 1811's to take a poly. My agency doesn't either. I also know there is no poly required for Federal Air marshals.

In my opinion the poly is BS, and I have taken 4 of them, passed 3, failed 1. Same answers given on all.
                    What is Perseverance?
                    -Perseverance is commitment, hard work, patience, endurance.
                    -Perseverance is being able to bear difficulties calmly and without complaint.
                    -PERSEVERANCE IS TRYING AGAIN AND AGAIN.

BOP - BPA - ICE

Comment

• Originally posted by SHU View Post
                      Polygraphs are BS. They work by breaking people who believe in them. Here is a perfect example of one. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rN7pkFNEg5c
                      Originally posted by TheKansan View Post
                      Funny because neither the US Marshals nor ICE require their 1811's to take a poly. My agency doesn't either. I also know there is no poly required for Federal Air marshals.

In my opinion the poly is BS, and I have taken 4 of them, passed 3, failed 1. Same answers given on all.
                      This is coming from DEA/FBI. The polygrapher was one they borrowed from the FBI quite a few times. I never agreed with it, but if it was one more step to weed out a potentially bad candidate, I'm all for it. I'm not too worried because I'll tell the truth, though some of the claims of false positives make me wonder sometimes.

Comment

• Polygraphs are a bunch of voodoo. The best part of taking a poly is listening to the Polygraphers premeditated speech of what a polygraph is/does. They suck, but unfortunately a part of most Leo hiring processes.
                        Saint Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle, be our protection against the wickedness and snares of the devil; may God rebuke him, we humbly pray and do thou, O Prince of the heavenly host, by the power of God, thrust into hell Satan and all evil spirits who wander through the world for the ruin of souls. Amen.

Comment

Last edited by SHU; 07-02-2019, 12:47 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by avalon42 View Post
                            This is coming from DEA/FBI. The polygrapher was one they borrowed from the FBI quite a few times. I never agreed with it, but if it was one more step to weed out a potentially bad candidate, I'm all for it. I'm not too worried because I'll tell the truth, though some of the claims of false positives make me wonder sometimes.
                            When I read stats about 60% or more of applicants failing a poly for agencies such as FBI, that tells me not that a bunch of liars applied, but that a bunch of otherwise perfectly capable and honest people were screwed over. Of course the FBI doesn't care because they have a nearly endless number of candidates, but imagine recruiting in smaller and less popular agencies if 2/3 of the people that made it through the entire rest of the hiring process, background investigation included, were disqualified? It would be a huge waste of money and time, something smaller agencies don't have a lot of.
                            What is Perseverance?
                            -Perseverance is commitment, hard work, patience, endurance.
                            -Perseverance is being able to bear difficulties calmly and without complaint.
                            -PERSEVERANCE IS TRYING AGAIN AND AGAIN.

BOP - BPA - ICE

Comment

• I've heard similar numbers about polygraphs. I wonder what number of applicants are passing, that shouldn't. I think that's more of an intriguing number.

It almost seems as though the poly is more of a deterrent then an actual method of detection. No offense to any examiners.

Comment

• Originally posted by sems1987 View Post
                                Hello all I'm new to this site but have a question for anybody that might know. I received my TO yesterday and plan on going through with the process. The problem is that I am red/green deficient and will fail the stupid plate tests that they give you. I saw my physician today and passed the Farnsworth Dichotomous-15 test with a 100%. Will CBP accept this test and grant me a waiver for it? If not, is there any test that they will acknowledge? I can see colors fine I just can't pass the Ishihara test. Thanks and good luck to everyone!
                                I have the same issue with my color vision. Once your physical is reviewed and they notice that you failed the plate test, you will receive a notice from DHS informing you that you need to submit further medical documentation to clear up the issue (at your own expense, too). At that point, you can submit a letter and/or test results from a qualified physician. I simply mailed in the score sheet with the ophthalmologist's stamp and contact info, but other doctors may do things differently.

You don't need a "waiver" if you meet the medical requirements, and the Farnsworth test satisfies the requirements. But I'm pretty sure you have to let the process work itself through; there's no way to preemptively get around failing the initial test.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 17746 users online. 479 members and 17267 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X