300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by GitmoVet View Post
    At this point I'll take whatever I can get. I will spend 15 months down south before I go to my northern station,so I'll have some idea of both areas. I am a northerner, though, and would be extremely happy to have a good job close to home. All that being said, if the first call I get is for southern border I'm not going to say No.
    What he means is that working at a busy SW station, it takes 3 - 5 years to learn this job. Those NB stations have total yearly arrests that are smaller than one shift or even just one group on the SW. On the SW you might catch a group (yes that is one group) of 50 or 60+ by yourself. Up north you might be lucky to get more than 1 arrest all year.

Comment

• Originally posted by madchiken View Post
      What he means is that working at a busy SW station, it takes 3 - 5 years to learn this job. Those NB stations have total yearly arrests that are smaller than one shift or even just one group on the SW. On the SW you might catch a group (yes that is one group) of 50 or 60+ by yourself. Up north you might be lucky to get more than 1 arrest all year.
      I understand completely. I think it is a good suggestion, and I'm not discounting it. But if I can get the location I want, I wouldn't turn it down, if it came first. I'm pretty flexible, and want this job wherever they put me. I did apply for north and south. But I'd rather be up north near home, if I can get it.
      USSCP
      Faxed App 7/28/10
      Received notice of testing 8/28/2010
      Test Scheduled 9/9/2010

Comment

• Quick question to you BPA's out there, do you like your jobs? How much do you like them, and what's your favorite thing about working as a BPA? Is it something you plan to do until retirement, or are you looking to get out?

The reason I ask is, I applied to be a BPA and it's going well, and I'm definately interested in the way the job is described. As a former Marine stationed at Camp Pendleton and combat vet, I enjoy working outside, running around, playing in the dirt, and I know the terrain of the SW. I'm looking for an LEO job where I stay busy. I want to make arrests and actively deal with people.

Unfortunately, besides the job's description, I haven't actually experienced any part of it first-hand. Because I'm way up here in PA, it's not like I could just go on a ride-along with BPA or anything. I'd hate to commit to a job so far from where I live now only to find that I dislike the work.

Any insight from you wise BPA's? Thanks for your help
        You, you, and you: Panic. The rest of you, come with me.

Comment

• Picture adult hide and seek with guns, drugs, vehicles, and air support...

A lot depends on where you are stationed too.

Comment

• Originally posted by madchiken View Post
            Picture adult hide and seek with guns, drugs, vehicles, and air support....
            That sounds amazing.
            Originally posted by madchiken View Post
            A lot depends on where you are stationed too.
            I put in for AZ because CA is too expensive and I don't want to go to Texas. I also have some old Marine buddies who live in AZ and say good things about the state. Is there anything you could tell me about working in AZ?

Thanks again
            You, you, and you: Panic. The rest of you, come with me.

Comment

• Originally posted by mfh83 View Post
              I put in for AZ because CA is too expensive and I don't want to go to Texas. I also have some old Marine buddies who live in AZ and say good things about the state. Is there anything you could tell me about working in AZ?

Thanks again
              Its hot and there's not much grass...

Comment

• Let me add to that...

It's VERY hot.

Comment

• Originally posted by slinger2424 View Post
                  Let me add to that...

It's VERY hot.
                  I put in for AZ, too. I'm thinking I'd like to live in Sierra Vista--the web says its 4600 feet above sea level. I'm thinking that means it'd be a bit cooler than some of the lower lying areas. Do you guys mean the patrol area is hot?

Comment

• Originally posted by Don951 View Post
                    When are your employment qualifications reviewed, is it before the BI? And is it done to see if you qualify for GS-5 or GS-7 etc...
                    It varies for each person. My quals cleared for BPA three months after I sent in the forms and five months for CBPO.
                    Last edited by Tarheel1; 08-19-2008, 09:39 PM.
                    CBPO
                    Test-11/07, T.O. 1/08 (WA)
                    Med/Fit-completed 1/08
                    Forms/Drug/VBT-completed 2/08
                    Quals-completed 6/08
                    BI-completed 8/08
                    Referred to Schedule EOD 8/15/08

The Call-9/29/08
                    Start-10/14/08
                    FLETC-11/13/08

CBPI-911

Comment

• Originally posted by phillystactical View Post
                      Also known as KSA's. It is not up to us, it is up to MHC to make you eligible and they base that on your description & documentation for each element. From that they decide. One other advice, you might not want to interject at the BPA. Good luck.
                      Philly:

I appreciate the advice but I did make it through Marine Corps recruit training (albeit 20 years ago) so I know when to shut up.

I just entered into the BPA process. I took the test yesterday and scored a 92% with out my vets pref. I am filling out all of the paper work now and have my interview next week.

I do have a question in regards to military addresses. I spent 4 years in the Marines do I put every station from Paris Island to MCT to MOS School to my main station and indicate a year deployed in Iraq? or do i just indicate my main duty station, or if i do use every station, do I just list my units or bases or do i have to figure out every BEQ i lived in.

Thanks For the advice
                      Momnie:

The SF86 says "For temporary military duty locations under 90 days, list your permanent address instead. You should use your APO/FPO address if you lived overseas".

Hope that helps.

Comment

• So what does anybody know about south Texas. It seems to me like it might be the greenest area on the southern border. Also I am and avid deer hunter. Many of the hunting shows on TV take place in southern Texas, looks like there are a lot of big deer down in that area!!
                        Last edited by momnie48; 08-21-2008, 10:15 PM.
                        BPA

Tested--8/12/2008-97%
                        Fitness---09/02/2008--Passed
                        Oral Board---8/21/2008--Passed
                        Med---09/02/2008--Passed
                        Drug Test-9/18/2008- Passed
                        Pre-Employment Forms---11/08/2008--Completed
                        Background Investigation- 11/08/2008---Passed

Quals-8/22/2008 Submitted-Pending

CBPO

Tested---98%---8/5/2008

MCIIS(Mercyhurst Institute For Intelligence Studies)

Bachelor's Degree--3.6 GPA--11/13/2008[/SIZE]

Comment

• Okay,

I would like to start this by saying I'm a retard and been posting in the cbpo thread. Lol it helps to read right? I was just asking if you guys had any tips or advice for the test? Also, is math on this one, because that's what I've been hearing in the other thread?

Thanks.

Comment

• Also, what is a good amount of time to study for the test? I'm scheduled to take the test next month on the 12th. I have the free study guide, but just bought the one recommended on honorfirst.com

Comment

• Originally posted by GTO23 View Post
                              Okay,

I would like to start this by saying I'm a retard and been posting in the cbpo thread. Lol it helps to read right? I was just asking if you guys had any tips or advice for the test? Also, is math on this one, because that's what I've been hearing in the other thread?

Thanks.
                              No math on this one. Just logical reasoning and the Artificial language test/Spanish Proficiency Test (you choose which one)

Also, what is a good amount of time to study for the test? I'm scheduled to take the test next month on the 12th. I have the free study guide, but just bought the one recommended on honorfirst.com
                              The study book you bought should have simulated timelines for how far out you have until test day arrives (ex: it will say "if you have one month left until you take the test, you should do ABC. If you have two weeks left, you should do ABCDEF" or something of that nature).

The study guide from Amazon.com is great because it really does let you practice what you're going to be doing in the test. There are two mock tests in there; I would once through the 'how to' material, feel comfortable with it, go through one practice test, and then grade it and see how well you do. Identify tough spots (a big one for me was not getting confused by the negation questions in the logical reasoning portion), and then do the second test to see how well you do again. Erase all of your marks (or make another answer sheet), leave it for a week or two, and do it all over again, except this time mixing up the pages so it wasn't in order. I did one of these 'cycles' about two nights before the test and it kind of put my mind in the 'mode' of answering the questions on the test. I scored high and was very happy with my results. Good luck.
                              "Officer, you are kinda hot."

"And you are kinda intoxicated."

Comment

• I appreciate the help! I just ordered the book so it should arrive here in a few days. Be honest though,well of course depending on me, do you think if I study the free study guide untill the book I purchased arrives, and then hit that up hard, I will be ready by sep 12th? Also, If say worst case I don't pass or get a score I'm not happy with can I retest?

I looked up the veteran preferance points and I do qualify for 5 so I hope that helps?

Will my military experience aid in me being selected?

Where you in the miltary or are you currently a boarder patrol agent? This looks like a awesome job where I can continue on with government service? Do you have any other advice?

Thanks!!

Brian

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4752 users online. 204 members and 4548 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X