300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ricky_G View Post
    I have my written scheduled on the 24th of this month. I have been applying for local PD and Sheriff but hiring is real slow here in CA. I normally wear a suit to written exams for LEO positions. Should I wear one to BP written? I don't know if you score extra points or biz casual will be okay? Thanks in advance....
    If its anything like the CBP test, they were no one from the agency there just the OPM folks
    USBP
    Written Exam: 8-20-2010
    NOR: 8-25-2010 (93)
    TO: 9-10-2010
    PFT1/Medical: 11-9-2010
    OB: 11-28-2010
    Drug Test: 2-2-2011
    BI Interview: 4-19-2011
    The call: 7-8-11 (Douglas, Az)
    EOD: 7-28-11

CBP
    TO: 6-15-2011
    PFT1: 7-8-2011

Comment

• Originally posted by Ricky_G View Post
      I have my written scheduled on the 24th of this month. I have been applying for local PD and Sheriff but hiring is real slow here in CA. I normally wear a suit to written exams for LEO positions. Should I wear one to BP written? I don't know if you score extra points or biz casual will be okay? Thanks in advance....
      I took the BP test before a few years ago and like Geormar said, only OPM proctors were present. Some test takers wore jeans, others wore business attire.
      CBP written test Miami, FL
      11/10/2007
      NOR letter 01/16/2008
      VBT 4/2/2008 (passed)
      Forms 6/2/2009 completed
      Med exam 4/6/2009 completed
      9/4/2009
      Physical exam 4/6/2009 (passed)
      drug test 5/7/2009 (passed)
      TO 5/12/2009 (2nd one,
      never got first)
      qualifications completed
      BI interview 9/30/2009
      BI cleared/referred to TSU 10/30/2009
      poly: Mar 2011
      updated e-Qip & All Forms: Sep/Oct 2011
      BI interview II: Dec 2011/Jan 2012

Comment

• Yes I took the test before. Passed with an 87. Also passed the oral boards. My recommendation to you regarding attire for your test, get used to wearing business attire. You'll be wearing it for just about everything else. It's better to show up overdressed than under dressed. It won't hurt you to put on a suit. Trust me, they don't bite. I've only shown up for a LEO test not wearing a suit because there was a Physical Fitness test taking place just before. This is a professional organization looking for top notch people for a very serious purpose. You aren't signing up to make friggin cornflakes. You're hopefully signing up to be a part of one of the greatest LE agencies we have and for the right reasons.

Comment

• Just for the record I'll be wearing flip-flops and shorts.

Comment

• There are no BPA's at the testing location. No need to wear a suit or tie.

Comment

• Originally posted by ee78 View Post
              Just for the record I'll be wearing flip-flops and shorts.
              When I took the test in 2009 here in San Diego there were a few guys in flip-flops and shorts... I saw a couple of them at the Oral Boards too (wearing suits, of course) so I guess it didn't matter. The interesting part: I was at a compressed testing site (don't know if they're doing that under this announcement) so there actually were two Border Patrol Agents at our test but they didn't seem to care what anyone was wearing. There were well over 100 people taking the test so they didn't really get to know anyone anyway, but they were happy to stick around and answer questions for a couple of hours, which was awesome.
              Last edited by Bolts56; 08-12-2010, 08:24 PM. Reason: Off-topic

Comment

• Thanks for the heads ups for those that replied. I'm definitley not against wearing a suit but I'd rather wear a polo & slacks to be more relaxed. Not having to worry about changing after the 3 hour drive to get there won't be bad either(Corona to El Centro)
                FCPA Class #36

Comment

• The newest openings for Border Patrol Agents, is that because the were expecting this Bill to pass or was this just a normal recruitment period for Border Patrol?
                  Last edited by Ranger175; 08-13-2010, 08:13 PM. Reason: ?
                  BPA -
                  Applied--8/01/10 Exam--8/30/10 NOR-9/01/10 (105) TSL-9/15/10 TSL2-10/14/10 OB--11/30/10 Med/PFT--03/09/11 Drug Test--3/29/11 --E-QIP update-4/12/2011- BI Interview---6/20/11 POLY--11/22/11 PASSED
                  TSU---12-12-2011 5-2-2012 EOD---6-11-2012

Comment

• Which Spanish do they teach you provided you make to Artesia? Is it European Spanish (ie. the kind spoken in Spain), Central American (ie spoken in Mexico) or South American (Colombian Spanish)? Does any Mexican slang get covered during the language part of the program?
                    CBP written test Miami, FL
                    11/10/2007
                    NOR letter 01/16/2008
                    VBT 4/2/2008 (passed)
                    Forms 6/2/2009 completed
                    Med exam 4/6/2009 completed
                    9/4/2009
                    Physical exam 4/6/2009 (passed)
                    drug test 5/7/2009 (passed)
                    TO 5/12/2009 (2nd one,
                    never got first)
                    qualifications completed
                    BI interview 9/30/2009
                    BI cleared/referred to TSU 10/30/2009
                    poly: Mar 2011
                    updated e-Qip & All Forms: Sep/Oct 2011
                    BI interview II: Dec 2011/Jan 2012

Comment

• Not sure what the new program teaches, someone else will have to fill you in on that, but the old program taught formal Mexican Spanish. (Usted Form). Many of our customers however are poorly educated and speak only the "Tu" form. You should strive for the ability to switch back and forth between the two depending on the circumstances. When apprehending a group, you're going to use the tu form. When processing an alien older than you, or communicating with Mexican authorities, it's best to use the formal "usted" form. Eventually you'll come across a South American, or someone from the Carribbean, but the dialects are close enough to Mexican Spanish for you to make due. It would be remote if you'd come across a Spaniard who spoke Castillian Spanish, but it may happen someday. The fun ones are the ones that speak nothing but Incan/Aztec/Mayan clicks and whistles, as well as the exotics.

As for the Mexican slang phrases, they won't be taught in the academy, but get with some native speakers in your class during basic, and they'll teach you all the slang you can handle.
                      Last edited by Dreamcrusher; 08-13-2010, 08:33 PM.

Comment

• ? About the percent of the parts of the exam,

Curious as to if anyone knows what percent of each part of the exam is worth. Artifitial lang, is X amount and learning com is X amount..Thanks
                        Last edited by MPK9; 08-13-2010, 09:17 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Last edited by SHU; 07-02-2019, 01:04 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by MPK9 View Post
                            Curious as to if anyone knows what percent of each part of the exam is worth. Artifitial lang, is X amount and learning com is X amount..Thanks
                            You have to pass both the English and Spanish sections with over 70%. If you get 100% in the English and and 69% in the Spanish you fail.

Comment

• Quick question for current BPAs.

Are any of you single with a dog, or know any BPAs who are single with a dog. I have two dogs and would hate to give them up. I currently work 8-12 hours a day and leave them home alone with a dog door for access to the yard.

My concern is if I end up staying well past the end of my scheduled shift as a BPA. I'm a police officer now and can shoot home to feed them if need be.

As sorry as it sounds, I'm having second thoughts about sending in my TSA package because of my dogs. They are fine by themselves for 10-12 hours, but from what I've read on here and honorfirst.com, when you are a rookie, you may be working 10-14 hours, plus commute.

Any input is appreciated.

Comment

• I know plenty of PA's that are single with a dog. While there are plenty of days that I end up staying longer than 10 hours, I would say the norm is right in between 9-10 hours. When I was on the Field Training Unit, we didn't stay past 10 hours very often. In fact, at my station, I feel like it was more of a routine on the Field Training Unit. You will have to factor in commute time as well. Getting a roommate might be something to consider too. I'm sure you'll be able to find one of your classmates that wants to save on rent while you are at the academy.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4553 users online. 251 members and 4302 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X