Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just a question to help the rest of the applicants, did you get the polygraph test????[/QUOTE]

I have not taken the Poly for the BP. I have heard of applicants getting the Poly after the call has been made, before their EOD. I could still have to take the test i guess.

The way I look at it is, it is completely out of my hands.

Comment

• Polygraphs are like auditing. Its a risk based approached based on sampling theory. They might randomly select a sample, or they may polygraph those who lived overseas or have other risk factors in their background. In the previous hiring rush I heard of many agents not being poly'ed but I've heard the Patrol regrets that haste and plans to polygraph most, if not all, new hires.

I passed a poly [with another agency] and I myself can be quite nervous, spasstic, and paranoid. If you've been telling the truth all along and are in general an honest person, then just get a good nights sleep, skip the coffee, take some deep relaxing breaths and concentrate only on the questions being asked. You should do fine.
      FBI CI 1811:
      June 2007: Applied
      July 2007: Phase I
      October 2010: Phase II
      March 2011: PFT, PSI, Polygraph, Medical
      April 2011: BI, Spouse Interview

Critical Skills: accounting & FLEO

Comment

• Originally posted by ajeezy View Post
        Just a question to help the rest of the applicants, did you get the polygraph test????
        I have not taken the Poly for the BP. I have heard of applicants getting the Poly after the call has been made, before their EOD. I could still have to take the test i guess.

The way I look at it is, it is completely out of my hands.[/QUOTE]

Thanks foe the info, and good luck in the academy...............

Comment

• Hulu has posted 5 episodes of Borders Wars, which some of you might find interesting: http://www.hulu.com/border-wars
          Applied USSS 1811 0809, TEA 1009, Initial 1109, BQA'd 1209

Applied Federal Agency 0083 0310, Phone 1010

Comment

• Applied today - Written test on 08/31
            I am not afraid... I was born to do this.

Comment

• I have a few questions for any BP guys. Im a cop in GA. The pay is bad, the retirement worse, but I love the job. I am interested in working for BP but I am 37 years old. Im in good shape but my knees give me grief when I run a lot. I ran 2 miles a day, 3 times a week for a while and it was abt all my knees could take. What is PT like in BP training?
              Also I have never spoken any other language, but Im a pretty smart guy. First in my class in College and two Police Academys but I am intimidated by learning Spanish.
              One last thing, How many years does it take to get vested in the Fed retirement System?

Thanks in advance
              Last edited by Rookieforlife; 08-07-2010, 11:53 PM.

Comment

• You need to be able to pass the final PFT which includes a 300m sprint, a confidence course, and a 1.5 mile run. If there's no way you can do the 1.5 in less than 13 minutes, you're not going to pass. Between now and then you could keep your cardio up by bicycling and using elipticals to save your knees. There will be "indicator/practice" pt tests that will be conducted periodically but no matter how you do on those its all about the final. You will go on 3-4 mile runs a few times a week and as long as you look like you're trying hard you probably wont get fired.

I'm not sure what you mean by vested in the retirement system. You need to put in 20 years so you will work until you're 57 or 58 and then you'll be available to draw on your pension. I believe its a 5 year vesting for the matched portion of the TSP (gvt 401k).

If you love your job and the pay sucks then I'm guessing you do alright with your current employers. Try out the BP and if you can't pass the training or its not what you expected then I'm guessing you can always go back to what you have now.
                FBI CI 1811:
                June 2007: Applied
                July 2007: Phase I
                October 2010: Phase II
                March 2011: PFT, PSI, Polygraph, Medical
                April 2011: BI, Spouse Interview

Critical Skills: accounting & FLEO

Comment

Last edited by SHU; 07-02-2019, 01:05 PM.

Comment

• I have the same opinion. It's pretty brutal on the knees. I am a 20 something guy and I had to stay on a steady regiment of anti-inflammatories just to keep the swelling in my knees at a tolerable size.

Comment

• I was always involved in sports as a kid and never had any trouble until after High School when I wasn't playing on a consistent basis. I use to get a lot of shin splints and calf strains from running. But once I got in the groove of doing it constantly my body adapted to it. A myt 31 years of age I'm running 2 miles in 15:40. I still wish I was faster but that will do for now.

Comment

• Originally posted by SHU View Post
                        It takes 5 years to vest in FERS and to keep the matching TSP funds. But with having knee problems now, I would not do it. The academy is a couple of miles on black top or wind sprints on a daily basis for 3 months. The exercises in the mat room can kill your knees if you already have issues. Also depending on what station you end up at, the job can be very physically demanding climbing mountains or standing in 100 plus degree heat on the freeway all day. If I were you I'd pass on the Patrol. My knees were perfect before I came on the job and now I need a ACL reconstruction in one knee and I can tell one day my other one will probably need one as well. But there are other federal LE jobs that do not get federal LE retirement but the regular fed FERS instead. VA Police, Postal Polce, FPS Police, US Mint Police and others. These jobs are often located in much better places than what most of the border has to offer. And physically those jobs would be much easier on the knees and they have no age requirment. Lots of those jobs in the DC/Virginia area. Good Luck
                        Great info SHU thank you. I have had a terrible time finding a Fed LE job that will hire a 37yo. I really like the TVA, but cant find much info about them. If you are aware of any Fed jobs that will hire at my age please post them, it would be a great help!

Comment

Last edited by SHU; 07-02-2019, 01:06 PM.

Comment

• I've heard the USSS UD is very run heavy at glynco. Don't know first hand, just that's what i have been told.
                            Last edited by o2force; 08-08-2010, 09:21 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Evangellon View Post
                              You need to be able to pass the final PFT which includes a 300m sprint, a confidence course, and a 1.5 mile run. If there's no way you can do the 1.5 in less than 13 minutes, you're not going to pass. Between now and then you could keep your cardio up by bicycling and using elipticals to save your knees. There will be "indicator/practice" pt tests that will be conducted periodically but no matter how you do on those its all about the final. You will go on 3-4 mile runs a few times a week and as long as you look like you're trying hard you probably wont get fired.

I'm not sure what you mean by vested in the retirement system. You need to put in 20 years so you will work until you're 57 or 58 and then you'll be available to draw on your pension. I believe its a 5 year vesting for the matched portion of the TSP (gvt 401k).

If you love your job and the pay sucks then I'm guessing you do alright with your current employers. Try out the BP and if you can't pass the training or its not what you expected then I'm guessing you can always go back to what you have now.
                              Thanks for the great Post. A year ago when I was running regular I could do two miles in 16 min or so w/o too much trouble, so that should be fine. Id hate to leave my job and have to come back, but you make a good point.

Cheers

Comment

• Originally posted by SHU View Post
                                The USSS uniform division may hire up to age 40 but I'm not sure. I do know that USSS UD is more security type work. I'm not sure about customs and border protection officers but the may as well but I can't say for sure. Most jobs with federal LE retirement will not hire anyone who has hit 37 but a some do. If you ask around in some of these forums I'm sure somebody can tell you for sure. The BP is your best chance to get hired on with federal LE at your age but it can be a very physical job.
                                The cut-off age for "new" CBPOs is 37. I currently haven't heard of OFO giving out an age waiver to anyone in the 37-40 crowd who wasn't already involved in the hiring process at some point before 07/2008, which is roughly the time CBPOs received 12D coverage.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 17797 users online. 535 members and 17262 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X