Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by madchiken View Post
    They were in plain clothes Merlin.

I know the guy with the camera glasses was a CBPO detailed to a BP/SDSO unit earlier this year. But if (E)'s have gold badges it may have been all POE guys as I didn't recognize anyone else.
    Duh...stupid me.

Off the top of my head, I'm not sure that there is a difference between a CBPO-E and a standard CBPO badge. Their creds are different though, so the badges may be as well. If there is a difference between the two, it's only in the title and probably not something likely picked up in a casual encounter with a camera.

PA's have the US on their badges, CBPO's do not. If you can get a good enough look at the badge to tell whether or not that U and that S are bracketing the DHS seal, you should have an answer.

Comment

• I've began my studies for the exam Aug 30th. I'm using the book that BPA sent me in the mail when I applied. Is this a good book to use? I have to admit, I do not know Spanish and I'm a little intimidated by the artificial language portion fo this test. Any pointers or other study guides I can use? All I know to do is study, study, study!

Comment

• Originally posted by Aerohead View Post
        Ok, to the current BPA's:

NO BS - I have a wife and 3 kids (all boys under 8) - my wife is all for me making the move to becoming a BPA - she's used to the schedule and overtime (voluntary and involuntary) as I currently work in law enforcement - especially since we're getting bent over on our latest contract and it's only getting worse (pay cuts, loss of benefits, etc.) IF I don't get laid off here shortly - I put in for Arizona and truthfully I wouldn't mind anywhere along the Southwest border and neither would she - before I waste anyone's time (including my own) what kind of life can I expect for my family along the Southwest border?? Is it possible to live in a decent area with decent schools and commute to work?? I take the written on the 20th and just want to know what I'm up against. I have a friend who's been through the whole process and has been waiting for the call for about a year now and another friend who is taking the test in October, but neither of them have kids so they don't have the same worries as I do.

Thanks!
        The easy answer is "yes". There are more stations that are close to "the world" than stations that aren't. Don't pin your hopes on an eventual transfer, you'll just be miserable.

As a BPA who's been on for seven years, here's my advice:

Apply, get through the process, see what station you get. When you get offered a station, make an informed decision and don't look back.

Spending the time between now and then stressing about where you MAY get stationed is totally fruitless.

Good luck and stay safe out there.

Comment

• Thanks for the help guys! I appreciate the PM's too!
          Originally posted by RSGSRT
          We've reached a point where natural selection doesn't have a chance in hell of keeping up with the procreation of imbeciles.
          Why is it acceptable for you to be an idiot, but not acceptable for me to point it out?

Comment

• Originally posted by SHU View Post
            In Arizona almost all of the stations are about an hour or 45 minute drive to a decent town. For most PAs that is pretty much the standard drive time across the south west. In the south east corner of the state you could live in Sierra Vista if you get naco or douglas station. Its a decent little town that you could raise your kids in. In the past I heard they let PAs send their kids to school on the army base there.
            If you got willcox you could live in Vail which is just outside of tucson. At nogales you could live just south of tucson which has some nice communities. And if you got casa grande you could live in chandler AZ which is not bad at all. For welton you could live in Yuma. It is hot as hell there but if you can stand the heat its not a bad place to raise a family. The winters are great there. The only really bad place in AZ is Ajo. If you get that station you are going to be doing a 90 minute commute each way to give your family a decent place to live. That place sucks for a family man or a single man as well for that matter. But I hear the work is great if you can stand the place. It is a good gig and after a number of years (7 or 10, maybe) you could go back north some place. A sup at my station just transfered to Michigan last week. He is going to buy a mansion there from what he said about the real estate prices. Good luck to you. Its a good job if you like the outdoors and playing hide and go seek.
            You summed up the living options in Arizona quite well. Pretty much any station except Ajo is within a reasonable commuting distance of a nice place to live and raise a family.

Comment

• Solohammer...PM inbound.

Comment

• Originally posted by FedorBust76 View Post
                Finally after sitting in TSU purgatory for 11 months I recieved the call that I had thought would never come. My geo preference was AZ Tucson sector and thats what I got. Nogales AZ and I EOD September 6th with the academy starting on the 9th. I am very excited and ready.
                Congrats......happy for you. all the best.........

Comment

• Originally posted by FedorBust76 View Post
                  Finally after sitting in TSU purgatory for 11 months I recieved the call that I had thought would never come. My geo preference was AZ Tucson sector and thats what I got. Nogales AZ and I EOD September 6th with the academy starting on the 9th. I am very excited and ready.
                  Hey FedorBust76,

just curious, do you EOD for BP or CBPO, because i have an earlier TSU date for CBPO!!!!! and i have not recieved a call.....also did you take your Poly????

Comment

• Originally posted by sammax View Post
                    Hey FedorBust76,

just curious, do you EOD for BP or CBPO, because i have an earlier TSU date for CBPO!!!!! and i have not recieved a call.....also did you take your Poly????
                    i forgot to mentioned my GEO is AZ also......

Comment

• Originally posted by BF280 View Post
                      I've began my studies for the exam Aug 30th. I'm using the book that BPA sent me in the mail when I applied. Is this a good book to use? I have to admit, I do not know Spanish and I'm a little intimidated by the artificial language portion fo this test. Any pointers or other study guides I can use? All I know to do is study, study, study!
                      Hey I purchased a book in Amazon, is great is called Border Patrol Exam 4th edition it cost me 1 cent + shipping it even includes access to a test online with instant scores, so you get a feel of the real test.....check it out...

Comment

• What is majority of background for Border Patrol Agents? Military..Law Enforcement...Combination..Is there a certain background that they key on is what I'm essentially asking?

Thanks
                        Last edited by Ranger175; 08-05-2010, 01:13 PM. Reason: mistake
                        BPA -
                        Applied--8/01/10 Exam--8/30/10 NOR-9/01/10 (105) TSL-9/15/10 TSL2-10/14/10 OB--11/30/10 Med/PFT--03/09/11 Drug Test--3/29/11 --E-QIP update-4/12/2011- BI Interview---6/20/11 POLY--11/22/11 PASSED
                        TSU---12-12-2011 5-2-2012 EOD---6-11-2012

Comment

• Last I heard only a random selection of people are taking polygraphs. Has this changed? I hate those things. I have nothing to lie about but it is just the most uncomfortable situation I've ever been in.

Comment

Last edited by SHU; 07-02-2019, 12:07 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by BORSTARSDbuff View Post
                              Last I heard only a random selection of people are taking polygraphs. Has this changed? I hate those things. I have nothing to lie about but it is just the most uncomfortable situation I've ever been in.
                              In the past they never did polygraphs, then they only did 10% of applicants. Now, I've heard they "plan" on polygraphing everyone.

Comment

• If I don't get this job over a polygraph, I'm going to be an emotional wreck. But no need to stress over it now. I've got more pressing concerns in the hiring process.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5091 users online. 338 members and 4753 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X