Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Couple things. Also, the job is very physically demanding and injury is very common. I am young and in pretty good shape, but there are some days where I just ache. You'll be doing long hikes, running full speed on pavement, climbing fences and walls, driving ATVs, etc. All situations where you can easily get hurt.

As far as transferring to a new station goes I would not hold my breath. At a minimum you need two years. There are really two main ways to get to a new station, a voluntary relocation (VRP) or picking up a supervisor position at another station. I've heard of station "swaps," but i don't know if they are true, or the details.

Anyways, the more desirable locations can be difficult to get to. I know a guy who had 8 years in the patrol before getting a transfer to san diego. However, I've heard (don't know of any) of guys getting transfers to "in demand" stations much sooner. For a VRP you also need the program to be available, some years the border patrol doesn't offer it.

I wouldn't start planning your life in san diego. There is the el centro sector in Cal too, which is pretty big as well. Also, just because you pick california it doesn't mean you'll get an offer there. Ive heard that 90% of all the new applicants will be going to AZ and parts of TX.

If you are used the north east, mid west, etc., the border will be different. Towns are generally pretty small, have a lot of crime, poor schools, poor health services, etc...

Turn over rate is not as bad as everyone thinks. In 2002 a lot of agents transfered over to the federal air marshals so attrition rate rose to 18%, however, it's back down to about 4%.

The border patrol also has more deaths in the line of duty then any other domestic federal law enforcement agency, so it is dangerous. We also have a high suicide rate. Something to think about.

Comment

• Originally posted by o2force View Post
      Couple things. Also, the job is very physically demanding and injury is very common. I am young and in pretty good shape, but there are some days where I just ache. You'll be doing long hikes, running full speed on pavement, climbing fences and walls, driving ATVs, etc. All situations where you can easily get hurt.

As far as transferring to a new station goes I would not hold my breath. At a minimum you need two years. There are really two main ways to get to a new station, a voluntary relocation (VRP) or picking up a supervisor position at another station. I've heard of station "swaps," but i don't know if they are true, or the details.

Anyways, the more desirable locations can be difficult to get to. I know a guy who had 8 years in the patrol before getting a transfer to san diego. However, I've heard (don't know of any) of guys getting transfers to "in demand" stations much sooner. For a VRP you also need the program to be available, some years the border patrol doesn't offer it.

I wouldn't start planning your life in san diego. There is the el centro sector in Cal too, which is pretty big as well. Also, just because you pick california it doesn't mean you'll get an offer there. Ive heard that 90% of all the new applicants will be going to AZ and parts of TX.

If you are used the north east, mid west, etc., the border will be different. Towns are generally pretty small, have a lot of crime, poor schools, poor health services, etc...

Turn over rate is not as bad as everyone thinks. In 2002 a lot of agents transfered over to the federal air marshals so attrition rate rose to 18%, however, it's back down to about 4%.

The border patrol also has more deaths in the line of duty then any other domestic federal law enforcement agency, so it is dangerous. We also have a high suicide rate. Something to think about.
      Well I actually chose West Texas/New Mexico as I assumed it would be pretty undesirable. I was just curious about living in a larger city, like El Paso. I'm not at all interested in Socal/San Diego. Unless I get married or have kids some time in the near future, I have no problems living in a trailer in the middle of nowhere.
      What is Perseverance?
      -Perseverance is commitment, hard work, patience, endurance.
      -Perseverance is being able to bear difficulties calmly and without complaint.
      -PERSEVERANCE IS TRYING AGAIN AND AGAIN.

BOP - BPA - ICE

Comment

• Ya, just hope that you get el paso sector. EP, santa taresa, las cruzes (spelling?) are all decent places to live.

I've heard marfa sector is a little tough to live in. You have presidio, alpine, etc....all pretty "middle of nowhere" locations.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheKansan View Post
          I've heard the turnover for this job is pretty high. Let me ask current BPA's, is the turnover pretty bad? Is the issue of location the biggest problem, or is it the work schedule, and work demands?
          At my station (which is a very "young" station), the turnover rate isn't bad at all. I can think of two people who left (together) in the last year and a half for another Fed agency (ICE). The rest of those who have left ( a small number) have been trainees who quit in lieu of termination or who were terminated. The BP is a FUN job that pays really well. Sometimes you do stay really late, but it is because you are either processing a significant smuggling case that you have made, or tracking out a group, or doing something else productive. As far as I am concerned, when I stay late I am usually having fun doing it.

Comment

Well I actually chose West Texas/New Mexico as I assumed it would be pretty undesirable. I was just curious about living in a larger city, like El Paso. I'm not at all interested in Socal/San Diego. Unless I get married or have kids some time in the near future, I have no problems living in a trailer in the middle of nowhere.
            While they will still be continually filling all sectors in the SW, when the newest hiring push occurs they should be ALL going to Tucson sector(definitely not a bad thing).... just something you should be aware of.......

Comment

• Originally posted by BigPat View Post
              While they will still be continually filling all sectors in the SW, when the newest hiring push occurs they should be ALL going to Tucson sector(definitely not a bad thing).... just something you should be aware of.......
              Tucson sector is fine, it really doesn't matter where I go as I am from Kansas and will have to move regardless. I don't have family/friends anywhere outside of Kansas and Missouri. Just looking for something more proactive than BOP. I'm assuming that the way FCIP works is that the first 2 years you are excepted service, and then you switch over to competitive service? Also do you get permanent status after completing 3 years like in the BOP? Also if I go into the job with a couple of years of competitive federal service, and then I complete my 2 year FCIP probation, will I still have to complete the third year as a BPA to get permanent status?
              What is Perseverance?
              -Perseverance is commitment, hard work, patience, endurance.
              -Perseverance is being able to bear difficulties calmly and without complaint.
              -PERSEVERANCE IS TRYING AGAIN AND AGAIN.

BOP - BPA - ICE

Comment

..... Unless I get married or have kids some time in the near future, I have no problems living in a trailer in the middle of nowhere.
                This attitude can be very GOOD for your career. A lot of the stations in smaller towns have agents dying to transfer out--either for the sake of their families or to get to a city with a good night/weekend life. If you're young and single, you can become senior a lot faster than at a station in a big city. That means easier paths to management or the details you want.
                FBI CI 1811:
                June 2007: Applied
                July 2007: Phase I
                October 2010: Phase II
                March 2011: PFT, PSI, Polygraph, Medical
                April 2011: BI, Spouse Interview

Critical Skills: accounting & FLEO

Comment

• Oh yeah.. Good for your wallet, too. If you keep that run down Ford Taurus and do rent that trailer for say five years before becoming extravagant, you'll have plenty money to max out your TSP (the fed's 401(k)) AND max out a Roth IRA... You'll be a $20,000,000 type millionaire in 30 years. No joke.

If your coworkers roll into the station in their leased BMW and clown on your wheels, then you'll know you're doing it right.
                  FBI CI 1811:
                  June 2007: Applied
                  July 2007: Phase I
                  October 2010: Phase II
                  March 2011: PFT, PSI, Polygraph, Medical
                  April 2011: BI, Spouse Interview

Critical Skills: accounting & FLEO

Comment

• Hey guys i have a questions for those already in active duty, i will gradate the academy soon and i would like to know of and where i can purchase a good off duty holster for my service weapon? Thanks

Comment

• There is a place in downtown artesia. I can't remember the name, but it's on main street. Weird hours though.

Comment

Last edited by Pennywise; 04-08-2011, 02:45 PM.

Comment

Last edited by SHU; 07-02-2019, 12:09 PM.

Comment

• Finally after sitting in TSU purgatory for 11 months I recieved the call that I had thought would never come. My geo preference was AZ Tucson sector and thats what I got. Nogales AZ and I EOD September 6th with the academy starting on the 9th. I am very excited and ready.
                            Last edited by FedorBust76; 08-02-2010, 10:54 PM.
                            Border Patrol
                            Written Test 02/2009
                            TSU AZ Preference
                            09/24/2009

CBPO
                            Written Test 03/2009
                            TSU AZ Preference
                            09/22/2009

IEA
                            Phoenix Field Office
                            Written Test 05/2009
                            Tentative Offer 06/2009
                            Med/Fitness 10/2009
                            Oral Boards 12/2009
                            Referred to Scheduling 04/2010

Comment

• Ahh, the biggest station in the Patrol. There's good work there.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pennywise View Post
                                Hows it going guys/girls. I just had a quick question and I apologize if it has been answered earlier. I have applied in time for early consideration and will be taking my exam on 8/27. I have a current secret clearance that was just recently completed with the DOJ. Will CBP accept that background as a transfer or will I have to go through another? Also, if they do accept it, will that help me get in a little sooner or will I just fall into place with my fellow applicants once they are also ready? Thanks for the help.
                                Your security clearance (and related paperwork) is just one more lead for your BI to track down and get copies of.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5186 users online. 215 members and 4971 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X