300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by o2force View Post
    As a trainee I am averaging just shy of a 13 hour work day, 5 days a week.
    Damn, what station are you at? I think I averaged the typical 50 hour weeks as a trainee. Not including study time for post academy. We went over on days all the time, but not to that consistensy.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pvt. Cowboy View Post
      Yikes! 13 hours a day?? 65 hours? Holy cow.

As a first year BPA, can one of you guys on the job gimme an rough idea what the income is like, working those 13 hour days? I understand the concepts behind AUO and locality, I just wanted someone who does the job to give me an idea. Thanks again for the info fellas... For us guys attempting to get on, it's some nice insight.
      Yup. Its called extra AUO. You won't get OT unless a sup approves it and you'll never get it for just working past your AUO on a regular day. Is it financially beneficial to work more than two hours of AUO a day? No, not really. But we're law enforcement and thats just the job. **** can happen at any time. It often happens when you've only got an hour left on your shift and then you've gotta go spend four hours dealing with it.

Your average day at work will be 8-10 hours long depending if you want to do your AUO. Don't think you'll be working 13 hours a day every day without a choice in the matter. FTU is one thing, but by service policy a sup CANNOT force you to work AUO. Sometimes circumstances make it unavoidable but on your average day, it is your call and yours alone.
      Last edited by Cyber_Saint; 07-30-2010, 12:31 PM.

Comment

• You'll generally only work those long hours for the first 3-4 months when you are on the Field Training Unit, which is why i am working so many hours. After you hit the line on your own you'll drop down to 8 hour a day at a minimum, but you'll work 10 and i will explain way later. Obviously there will be some days where you work more, sometimes less, but that depends on the work load at your station. Generally people work a long day because they bust a load right before the end of their shift.

I went in as a GS-5, but shortly after you graduate the academy you jump up to a 7. It's different if you go in as a GS-7, you'll jump up to a GS-9.

My paychecks (every 2 weeks), as a 7, are around $2200 - $2300 on average (approx. 60k a year). That is before deductions.

Paychecks within the Border Patrol are pretty mysterious, not many people actually understand how their pay is calculated.
        First there is your base pay, which is affected by night differential. Night time is from 6pm till 6am and is an increase of 10% (i believe). Then you have your AUO. Unlike LEAP where you always get your 25%, border patrol agents are required to average 98 hours of work every 2 weeks to maintain their 25%. You don't get paid, per say, for the AUO worked, it is simply used to calculate your AUO. In addition to AUO you'll get paid something called FLSA. FLSA is more money that you get paid once you work over 85 hours a pay period.

So if you work 110 hours in the last pay period (2 weeks) you will get 80 hours of regular pay (adjusted for night differential). You'll get a 25% boost to your paycheck because you did atleast 18 hours of AUO, and you will also get 25 hours of FLSA pay (110-85=25) (which for me is around 10 dollars an hour or so). Once you go over your 18 hours of AUO you begin only making FLSA pay.

Your base pay is also affected by something called COLA (cost of living adjustment). It depends on your location.
        Last edited by o2force; 07-30-2010, 12:36 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by o2force View Post
          In addition to AUO you'll get paid something called FLSA. FLSA is more money that you get paid once you work over 85 hours a pay period.

So if you work 110 hours in the last pay period (2 weeks) you will get 80 hours of regular pay (adjusted for night differential). You'll get a 25% boost to your paycheck because you did atleast 18 hours of AUO, and you will also get 25 hours of FLSA pay (110-85=25) (which for me is around 10 dollars an hour or so). Once you go over your 18 hours of AUO you begin only making FLSA pay.

Your base pay is also affected by something called COLA (cost of living adjustment). It depends on your location.
          Are you sure about that? I work more than 100 hours a pay period and I don't get FLSA. I only get that on travel days and the occasional special training day. I got some when I went through the EMT program. Is it automatic or do you have to put the FLSA down on your T&A?? I could be totally out of the loop here, but I dunno.

Or is it sector specific?

Comment

• check your E&L statement. It should kick in after 85 hours a pay period. You don't put it down on your T&A, it is automatically included. However, FLSA is also used for training and travel days.

edit: It kicks in after 85.5 hours.
            Last edited by o2force; 07-30-2010, 01:05 PM.

Comment

• Cyber Saint... you're referring to FLSA Travel and FLSA Training pay... which is a nice chunk of change. Everyone gets FLSA pay regularly though. It's the main difference between AUO and LEAP... and why BPA's want to keep AUO. I believe FLSA equates to about 10% of your pay.

Comment

• Ahh, I understand. I didn't realize there was FLSA pay other than training and travel. Guess I need to look at my E&L statements more often.

Comment

• the patrol has pushed for leap pay cause it would cost them less money, but the union says no because they want that FLSA

Comment

• Thanks for the replies fellas. So around 60k for entry year? Is that about what can be expected?

How long, if at all possible within the pay structures, would it take for someone to make six figures as a BPA? Is it possible without gaining rank(i.e. not a Lead, or Supervisory BPA if those are still existing ranks)?

I only ask as it's a substantial drop in income from what I do now, but from what the general consensus is and based on the very small attrition rates I've found, the job seems like it's worth it. Sound accurate?

Comment

• What do they mean when they say: Early Consideration: Early hiring consideration will be given to those applicants who complete the online registration process by July 31, 2010 and test by August 27, 2010.

Does this mean people who apply and test before those dates will get first preference over everyone else?

Comment

• Early consideration=Preference. Those who apply before that date will be given consideration for TO's before those who apply after it. Means just like it says.

Comment

• However, a lot of people have applied. I applied the first day it opened and am taking the test August 17th. My buddy applied last Saturday and he has to wait until October 1st. I'm sure the announcement will be closing pretty soon.

Comment

• I'm sure the announcement will close early...100,000 applicants isn't many in this economy.

Comment

• Put in for your preference. People will poo on you all day for getting anywhere near your choice, or where they want to go. Be prepared for your offer NOT to be your pref though.

During FTU, we got some weekdays off, weekends off, split days off, and worked 3 different shifts in 3 days. On shift, as a FNG you'll get mostly weekdays off, but you can use above mentioned tactics and hard work to get a weekend of here/there.

The following has been my experience: while in FTU, we did work extra AUO, but rarely over 55-60 total hours a wk.

There are many great folks in BP and on this forum. But like any other job (forum), there are some bitter SOBs too. Know the difference and don't take it personally.

Mostly, remember anyone can be an all knowing agent online.
                              trainee

Comment

• Well said..

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8266 users online. 427 members and 7839 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X