Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Border Patrol Agent

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • For people who's spouses aren't happy with you applying to BP:

    If he or she is really against you going to this job, then I seriously suggest you look else where. I was chatting about this to someone over PMs, but one of the reasons why I left BP is that it was affecting my personal life in a lot of ways. I've had one relationship bottom out and then had another start heading downhill just because of the sheer amount of time I was putting into my work weeks. Lets not forget that I was working night shifts as well as weekends. I just want to convey that you need STONG support from your loved ones to stay in this line of work. Any current PA can probably name a handful of agents they know with a divorce (or divorces) on their hands. If you're not getting 110% from your family on this, I would re-consider. Just my opinion; Current PAs could chime in on this as well. They see it first hand and know it far better than I do.
    "Officer, you are kinda hot."

    "And you are kinda intoxicated."

    Comment


    • Originally posted by MN_Justice View Post
      Why is Yuma sector so bad?
      Yuma sector isn't bad. Decent area to live, and all the opportunites that are present in other sectors. The only downfall is that traffic is down over 85% since 2005. It used to be wild and crazy, now you can go two weeks and not push a single group or arrest even one illegal if you're assigned to regular shift duties. Most of the traffic shifted towards Tuscon sector after Yuma got all the new border security infrastructure and a dramatic increase in the number of agents.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by lambda3472 View Post
        genes81 from Texas, I wish you the best. Some people just need more love than others! :0)
        Yeah and apparently some people need to be spoon fed more than others! ;-)
        Last edited by genes81; 07-28-2010, 08:44 PM.

        Comment


        • lol, nice! As long as your not a Cowboy fan we are alright.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by lambda3472 View Post
            lol, nice! As long as your not a Cowboy fan we are alright.
            Haha, yeah I'm definitely not a Cowboys fan!

            Comment


            • ....................
              Last edited by SHU; 07-02-2019, 12:10 PM.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by sap123 View Post
                For people who's spouses aren't happy with you applying to BP:

                If he or she is really against you going to this job, then I seriously suggest you look else where. I was chatting about this to someone over PMs, but one of the reasons why I left BP is that it was affecting my personal life in a lot of ways. I've had one relationship bottom out and then had another start heading downhill just because of the sheer amount of time I was putting into my work weeks. Lets not forget that I was working night shifts as well as weekends. I just want to convey that you need STONG support from your loved ones to stay in this line of work. Any current PA can probably name a handful of agents they know with a divorce (or divorces) on their hands. If you're not getting 110% from your family on this, I would re-consider. Just my opinion; Current PAs could chime in on this as well. They see it first hand and know it far better than I do.
                I would like to second this. The BP is chock full of stories of failed relationships. Much of it is the incredible time demands of the work week.

                One of my favorite stories involve a new PA who had been at his assignment for all of a few months. One day he came home to find his wife's car packed. She said to him, "I'm going back home. If you want to come back, we have a marriage. If not, then enjoy Meh-hee-co." Then she peeled off.

                Of course, another danger comes from other PA's. Trust them with your life, but not with your wife!

                Comment


                • Well... I guess the next question is...

                  What's a typical work week like that would cause a rift in a relationship? I guess I should be ashamed that I assumed it was a 4/2 or 5/2 schedule with 8 hour shifts...

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Pvt. Cowboy View Post
                    Well... I guess the next question is...

                    What's a typical work week like that would cause a rift in a relationship? I guess I should be ashamed that I assumed it was a 4/2 or 5/2 schedule with 8 hour shifts...
                    PA's work 5 days a week, and 8+2 hour shifts. That's 50 hours/week minimum, but most weeks will far exceed that, especially as a trainee. If your days off during the first week of the pay period are Sun/Mon and for the second week are Fri/Sat, you could be working 10 straight 10 hour days before getting a day off.
                    Last edited by Dreamcrusher; 07-30-2010, 09:01 AM.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Pvt. Cowboy View Post
                      Well... I guess the next question is...

                      What's a typical work week like that would cause a rift in a relationship? I guess I should be ashamed that I assumed it was a 4/2 or 5/2 schedule with 8 hour shifts...
                      If'n you are getting paid AUO, you better believe that you'll be putting in extra time. The only BPA I know personally left the BP because not only were his hours long and constantly changing, he was often sent to a forward post and not allowed to go home days at a time.
                      Big Brother is watching

                      Comment


                      • As a trainee I am averaging just shy of a 13 hour work day, 5 days a week.

                        Comment


                        • Under NORMAL circumstances, how far ahead is an agent's work schedule worked out? For example, will an agent know that he/she has off Wednesday & Thursday 2 weeks down the road so he/she can make plans to travel or just hang out with friends and family?

                          Thanks...

                          Comment


                          • You usually know 2 to 3 pay periods in advance. So between 4 and 6 weeks notice...depending on the station/sector. You can also request your days off. It doesn't mean you will get them, but if you talk to your supervisor and tell them the situation, like you need those days off they are usually cool about it, as long as you don't abuse it. Also, you must get 4 days a pay period off so you could potentially have Fri, sat, sun, mon off, all in a row. However, that would mean you will work like 10 days straight after.

                            Comment


                            • Dang maybe I will stick with my BOP 8 hour shifts and my choice of when I do OT.

                              Comment


                              • Yikes! 13 hours a day?? 65 hours? Holy cow.

                                As a first year BPA, can one of you guys on the job gimme an rough idea what the income is like, working those 13 hour days? I understand the concepts behind AUO and locality, I just wanted someone who does the job to give me an idea. Thanks again for the info fellas... For us guys attempting to get on, it's some nice insight.

                                Comment

                                MR300x250 Tablet

                                Collapse

                                What's Going On

                                Collapse

                                There are currently 5847 users online. 359 members and 5488 guests.

                                Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

                                Welcome Ad

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X