Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I will give you some points to follow when going through the oral boards but I will not give the questions. First and foremost, dress appropriately and carry yourself with bearing and professionalism from the minute you get out of your car. There were 4 Supervisory BPAs standing in the lobby when I first walked in and you could tell they were sizing everyone up. When you speak to an agent it is straight Yes Sir/Ma'am, or No Sir/Ma'am. Courtesy. Courtesy. Courtesy. We were all taken into a conference room and shown some recruiting videos, we discussed the rest of the hiring process, had a Q&A time and then we were called away. You'll be taken to a room where you will sit before 3 agents. This part left blank so you can find out on your own. They will release you for a few minutes to discuss things. You will be called back and they will notify you of your status. Just stay calm, think your answers through, be thorough. It will help you a lot, and this goes for any job interview you go to, if you research heavily and have a good idea of what you're talking about. Don't walk in there with no idea of what the Border Patrol is or is about. Another piece of advice, get to know your fellow applicants, you may have some time before you're called. I made a good friend while waiting for my board. It really helps to have a fellow applicant to call and be like "Man I did my urinalysis today, that was boring" or "DUDE I PASSED MY PFT 1 TODAY!!!!" Having someone going through the same thing as you and being able to talk about it can really be a destresser.

Comment

• Hey guys,

Two quick questions...is there a certain score your credit has to be at? and can BP agents carry off-duty?

Thanks,
      "Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have made a difference to the world, but the Marines don't have that problem." Ronald Reagan

Comment

• BPAs can carry off duty. It must be concealed and you must have your creds on you. A more thorough discussion of it can be found on the honorfirst.com forums. Basically it breaks down to you are a Federal Agent. You can carry just about anywhere in the United States and I believe on an airplane as well (in accordance with various policies of course). As for Credit, you'll have to wait, I don't know.

Comment

• Originally posted by Anthony2511 View Post
          Hey guys,

Two quick questions...is there a certain score your credit has to be at? and can BP agents carry off-duty?

Thanks,
          I asked a former USSS SA, that was performing background investigations, why they do credit checks. He told me the agency's thinking is, "if you can't manage your money how can you manage the job."

I don't think there is a specific credit score you need. I believe they are just making sure you aren't being negligent and irresponsible with your money. For instance, if you are making 40k a year and not making your payments on things you can't afford such as a new boat, car, etc....then it will raise some red flags.

Comment

• Originally posted by o2force View Post
            I don't think there is a specific credit score you need. I believe they are just making sure you aren't being negligent and irresponsible with your money. For instance, if you are making 40k a year and not making your payments on things you can't afford such as a new boat, car, etc....then it will raise some red flags.
            Red flags indeed. It is a proven fact that instances of fraud and corruption are generally higher in those with poor credit scores than those with good scores.
            FBI CI 1811:
            June 2007: Applied
            July 2007: Phase I
            October 2010: Phase II
            March 2011: PFT, PSI, Polygraph, Medical
            April 2011: BI, Spouse Interview

Critical Skills: accounting & FLEO

Comment

• Let me give you an extreme example, RE: Credit.

I just got a secret clearance. My credit score is essentially zero. Does that mean I'm irresponsible? No, it means I cut up my credit cards in 2006 and I haven't borrowed any money since. In fact, I'm debt free.

I live well within my means and I always have. That's what they are looking for.

Comment

Hey guys,

Thanks,
                Unless things have changed, there is no minimum credit score, you simply must have delinquent debts paid. This means you need to not be in default on any debts (especially Government ones!) and you need to have any collections paid off. Having a minor bill or two sent to collections should not matter as long as it is paid off.

Comment

Hey guys,

Thanks,
                  My brother's roomate had the worse credit in the world and got on. Now I don't know if my brother being an 8 year veteran had anything to do with it. And if your tying to get into law enforcement to carry a gun off duty that's a bad call. I don't know if you guys heard about the BPA that got into a scuffle with a Santa Ana Police Department Officer over girl. But he was still on probation during the scuffle and lost his job. When my brother is off duty, he's off duty period!

Comment

• Originally posted by ee78 View Post
                    My brother's roomate had the worse credit in the world and got on. Now I don't know if my brother being an 8 year veteran had anything to do with it. And if your tying to get into law enforcement to carry a gun off duty that's a bad call. I don't know if you guys heard about the BPA that got into a scuffle with a Santa Ana Police Department Officer over girl. But he was still on probation during the scuffle and lost his job. When my brother is off duty, he's off duty period!
                    Some people don't want to be law enforcement simply to carry a gun off duty. But if you have a job were you arrest and/or deport people it is nice to be as safe as possible off duty. There have been instances where BPA's have been assualted off duty by someone that they arrested before. Just because your brother doesn't carry of duty because he is "off" doesn't mean if he runs into a perp with an axe to grind they won't bother him because he's "off."

Comment

• Originally posted by mil_intel_sgt View Post
                      Some people don't want to be law enforcement simply to carry a gun off duty. But if you have a job were you arrest and/or deport people it is nice to be as safe as possible off duty. There have been instances where BPA's have been assualted off duty by someone that they arrested before. Just because your brother doesn't carry of duty because he is "off" doesn't mean if he runs into a perp with an axe to grind they won't bother him because he's "off."
                      Thank you sir, you beat me to it! I definitely carry off duty. Living on the Southwestern border, BPA's aren't exactly the most popular people around here. And more likely than not you are going to run into someone that you have arrested before. They will most likely remember your face but you probably won't remember theirs! It all depends on how you feel in the area that you live. And I definitely didn't join just to carry concealed. Thats what a Concealed Weapons License is for!!

Comment

• Originally posted by ee78 View Post
                        What does your brothers roomates, cousins, nephews, best friends, daughter in law's bad credit have to do with your brother being a vet? And that PA that lost his job was not because he was carrying off duty, it was because he was an Intern and its pretty easy to get fired over stupid S**t like that!

Comment

• Hey guys,

I put in an app for the most recent BPA announcements. I am not a prior LEO. I will have my bachelor's degree (already have an associates) in a fairly short period of time and I've been a reserve for about 8 months now. I'm new to Federal jobs and was just curious if BP only takes people who are prior LEOs or military or if they will take someone with less experience if they do well throughout the hiring process. Just want to know what they look for before I commit some time to their process. Thanks in advance.

Comment

• I had no prior law enforcement experience when I was hired. I have a B.S. in Criminal Justice and I was a loss prevention manager while in college. Most of my classmates did not have any prior law enforcement experience either. I think about 10 of my classmates were prior military. Just do well in the application process and they'll teach you what you need to know at the academy.

And in reference to the above posts... when you're in law enforcement you're never completely "off duty."

Comment

• My 2 cents regarding the "off duty"...

My wife and I were looking at apartments when 2 guys walked by us as I was getting our young son out of the car. They walked past us, then 1 of them turned around, and started yelling at me as we were walking away. After a few moments, realizing ignoring him wasn't working, I finally turned around, and he started accusing me of working as a "poe-lease" at an urban mall (I was a security police officer at a mall for 5 years while in college) and arresting him for whatever it was (I had arrested him for narcotics w/ intent to deliver and carrying a concealed weapon) while I was holding my young child in my arms standing there with my wife (I wasn't armed by the way-I have a CCW but left it at home). I looked at him dead in the eye and told him I had no idea who he was or what he was talking about and kept staring at him for a few moments. He mumbled something again and I simply stated that he had the wrong guy and I had never worked there. He said "yeah right" and turned around and they went on their way. (This is the clean version of what he said). Needless to say, we didn't move there, and I'm pretty sure I had to clean out my shorts when we got home.

Just having a gun on you will not always keep you safe - it's a tool of last resort - a deadly force RESPONSE to a deadly force ATTACK or THREAT - you need to use your brain and have confidence too. Although I'm not a LEO or a Federal LEO (yet), that's just my opinion. Opinions are like a-holes, everyone has one.
                              Originally posted by RSGSRT
                              We've reached a point where natural selection doesn't have a chance in hell of keeping up with the procreation of imbeciles.
                              Why is it acceptable for you to be an idiot, but not acceptable for me to point it out?

Comment

• Hey I'm just curious but i know Border Patrol has grooming standards but do they accept for medical reasons (waivers)? My current federal LEO job does. Guys that are in/or been in the military know what I'm talking about.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12655 users online. 335 members and 12320 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X