Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by CZ_Kid View Post
    Hey guys,

This question is for those of you who are actual BP Agents or have an insight of the job.
    I was wondering what the work schedule is like for a rookie agent once they are out of the academy? Basically, is their time for family, such as days off during the week? When one is on their off time, can they leave the area they work at? Are your days off scheduled together or separate days throughout the week? I ask because my girlfriend and child live in D.C. My girlfriend works for the government and can easily be transferred to Dallas and maintain a very well paying job while I pursue a job with BP. I understand I will not be working out of Dallas but Dallas is much closer to South Texas, New Mexico and Arizona. I also understand that each scenario is different but I just want to know if anyone has lived or know someone who has lived this life style.

Thanks….
    You get 2 consecutive days off per week. You will work 10 hour shifts, sometimes the shifts can last far longer Requests for days off go by seniority, so don't expect to be getting every Fri-Sat off unless you have some time in. Shifts are normally rotating but that varies by sector/station. You can travel wherever you want on your off time as long as you make it back to work on time for your next scheduled shift. That being said, having to return to Dallas from the border area every time you have days off just so that you can see your family doesn't sound like a very feasible plan. Also, be aware that the rumor is that most of new positions are going to be in the Tucson sector, which is a long way from Dallas.

Comment

• Originally posted by genes81 View Post
      Not entirely true. While you are on the FTO program, days off are usually Sat, Sun. Once you hit the line you can pretty much forget about getting weekends off. Also, days off are not always consecutive. This will probably vary from station to station but thats how it was at my Station.
      Days off have to be consecutive unless the agent requests otherwise. That is in the collective bargaining agreement. Whatever Sup or FOS scheduled you with split days off was wrong.

Comment

• I am testing next month and assuming I make the cut and successfully complete the process, I have some questions. I am married with 2 kids and 1 on the way. I have been a cop for 8 years and in the military before that, my wife is as adventuresome as I but we are a little concerned about life for our kids. Where do I want to be stationed and where do I not? Is it financially feasable for my wife to stay home? What is like like in general for the entire family, I know I'd like the work just concerned for my family? Thanks

Comment

• In the application itself, it stated that you could be located in a remote area with poor schools, etc etc
          meaning, you could be stationed in a less than desirable place for family life

Comment

• Originally posted by BF280 View Post
            I am testing next month and assuming I make the cut and successfully complete the process, I have some questions. I am married with 2 kids and 1 on the way. I have been a cop for 8 years and in the military before that, my wife is as adventuresome as I but we are a little concerned about life for our kids. Where do I want to be stationed and where do I not? Is it financially feasable for my wife to stay home? What is like like in general for the entire family, I know I'd like the work just concerned for my family? Thanks
            Whether it is feasible for your wife to stay at home depends on your lifestyle/personal financial choices. Plenty of people that I work with have wives that stay home. It will also depend on the cost of living in the areas you move to. San Diego is more expensive but they get a higher locality pay. You aren't going to have much leeway in picking a station. If you are lucky you might get a choice of two. Most people have only been getting offered one lately. While some border areas are pretty bad, keep in mind that most BP stations are within an hour or so commute of a nicer area. If you are at a station where a lot of agents commute you should have no problem finding a carpool.

Comment

• Some news for you guys.

Officials: National Guard troops headed to border next monthBy the CNN Wire Staff

(CNN) -- U.S. National Guard forces will begin deploying along the U.S. border with Mexico beginning in August and will be fully trained and deployed by the end of the month, government officials announced Monday.

Some 1,200 Army and Air National Guard troops will be in place for a year to assist the Border Patrol in monitoring and capturing illegal immigrants crossing the border into the United States.

They will served as a "gap-filler" while the Customs and Border Patrol agency hires additional staff to fill the demand in protection along the almost 2,000-mile long southern border with Mexico.

The troops, from the four border states, will be fully trained and in place in California, Arizona, New Mexico and Texas by September 1, according to Gen. Craig McKinley, commander of the National Guard.

The Guard troops will not be involved in law enforcement activities such as arrests of illegal immigrants, but will assist the Border Patrol in looking for the illegal border crossers and smugglers as well as in intelligence gathering. The airmen and soldiers will be armed, but they will be limited by rules of engagement that allow them to shoot only to defend themselves, McKinley said.

The deployment is part of President Barak Obama's border plan announced in late May, when he also requested $500 million in supplemental funds to try to reduce the number of immigrants and smugglers crossing the border daily.

Additionally, Customs and Border Patrol will move more aircraft to the Tucson sector of the border, where an increase in human smuggling and illegal border crossings have been occurring, Federal officials said Monday.

Under President George W. Bush, a border deployment of the National Guard, called Operation Jump Start, ended in 2008. The operation sent more than 6,000 troops to the four border states to repair secondary border fence, construct nearly 1,000 metal barriers and fly Border Patrol agents by helicopter to intercept illegal immigrants.

Comment

• I want to apply for the Border Patrol. I had previously applied last year and I passed most requirements. I went all the way to the background investigation. While in the B.I., I voluntarily withdrew from the hiring process for personal reasons. MHC told me I may apply again at another time if I wish. Apparently I wouldnt have to do the written exam and the oral board again since I passed it and its valid for 2 yrs or so. is that true? Also, how can I apply for border patrol if I dont want to register for the written test?

Comment

• Originally posted by BigPat View Post
                  Days off have to be consecutive unless the agent requests otherwise. That is in the collective bargaining agreement. Whatever Sup or FOS scheduled you with split days off was wrong.
                  Wow, well I have seen that happen several times. Good to know though!

Comment

• PM'd you with response.

Comment

We had Tues/Thurs during FTU because we were on mids with post academy on Wed.

Comment

• Originally posted by madchiken View Post
                        We had Tues/Thurs during FTU because we were on mids with post academy on Wed.
                        And the sup/FOS that made that schedule was wrong as well. The collective bargaining agreement is clear on that issue, and it applies to trainees/interns as well.
                        Last edited by BigPat; 07-19-2010, 08:47 PM.

Comment

I'd like to comment on this real quick:

I find it hard to believe that an intern will be going to a Sup/FOS telling him that he split the days off and that's against Union/CBA and then asking him to change it. That's not happening. Split days are uncommon, but they happen. Newer agents will bite the bullet due to training gaps or whatever the case is.
                          "Officer, you are kinda hot."

"And you are kinda intoxicated."

Comment

• Originally posted by sap123 View Post
                            I'd like to comment on this real quick:

I find it hard to believe that an intern will be going to a Sup/FOS telling him that he split the days off and that's against Union/CBA and then asking him to change it. That's not happening.
                            You're right, they won't do it. But it still doesn't make it right, and the union could sure make an issue of it.

Split days are uncommon, but they happen. Newer agents will bite the bullet due to training gaps or whatever the case is.
                            I understand that stuff can come up and the last minute, or agents might want split days, that's a different story. I am just stating what the policy is that managers are supposed to abide by. BTW, I am not a union steward.... I am a sup myself.

Comment

• And good luck finding an FTU intern that knows that split days off is against the bargainging agreement. I say that because I had split days off for a few weeks when I got off FTU and was on Journeyman and I had no idea it was against the union agreement.

Comment

• I know this question is kind of off, but has anyone here defaulted on their mortgage during FLETC? If I manage to make it to FLETC I would take a significant pay cut and default on my home(bought in 2006, bad move). I know credit is a factor in the hiring process, but is there any repercussions on defaulting before the probationary period is up? I'm just paranoid about defaulting interfering with getting a job in law enforcement. All info is greatly appreciated on this subject.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 13852 users online. 397 members and 13455 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X