300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by BORSTARSDbuff View Post
    My doctor gave me the meds, but refused to sign the letter. Trust me, there were some short, sweet, to the point words thrown out on my drive home. I ended up not taking the meds, stepped up the diet and exercise regimen and the blood pressure took care of itself. Unfortunetly too late for getting on. Unless there's a way to retake the medical, I'm waiting for the next open announcement.
    Dude if you had to step up the diet and exercise regimen to pass the MED physical part, good luck on passing the academy and then the BORSTAR training!!

Comment

• Originally posted by madchiken View Post
      You also have to pass another when you get to FLETC. If you are too high you're on the next bus back to El Paso.
      Which is why you stay on your meds so you can live a long healthy life.

When I went to FLETC my BP was high at the test (I was sick, nervous about being yelled at, etc etc)... the med shed said they don't send ppl home for that. They put people on meds and get them past the test. This was Glynco, though, so don't know how the patrol academy does it. Thankfully it came down and I was good.

Comment

• Originally posted by BORSTARSDbuff View Post
        Right now my plan is to get hired with BOP at the Victorville facility. My dream is to be a PA and eventually BORSTAR (current EMT-B and Rescue Technician...do the math). I have patience, the job is worth it.
        Those are worthy goals. If your dream is truly to be BORSTAR, then you need to cultivate a level of fitness that approaches the Olympic level. I'm not saying it can't be done, as agents make it on a regular basis. The standards are what they are. There is no compromise whatsoever. They're not kidding about the "Elite" part. There are hundreds of EMTs and Paramedics at the station level throughout the Patrol. I fall into that category. There are only a few with what it takes to be BORSTAR. I most certainly do not fall into that category.

Also work on climbing and swimming, as these are the areas which see a great deal of attrition during the selection process, so I'm told. Sleep deprivation and land navigation are tough as well.

Good luck and stay safe out there.

Comment

• Luckily for me, swimming is my strongest physical activity. I used to swim competitively and I'm currently a rescue swimmer for my department's Swiftwater Rescue Team. The running is and always has been my weakest link. So I need to improve that and fortunetly (but unfortunetly depending how you look at it) I have the time to work on it. Though BORSTAR is my ultimate dream, the honor of being a PA is overwhelming to me all on it's own. I'll just have to see what happens.

Comment

• Excellent attitude.

Again, good luck.

Comment

• What is the longest someone has remained in TSU before getting an academy date?

Comment

Last edited by SHU; 07-02-2019, 12:22 PM.

Comment

• I've been lurking on this thread for awhile. And I see a lot of people have been in the process for along time. With that in mind, are we looking at maybe another 3 years before Border Patrol does recruitment testing again?

Comment

• Originally posted by ht2121 View Post
                    I've been lurking on this thread for awhile. And I see a lot of people have been in the process for along time. With that in mind, are we looking at maybe another 3 years before Border Patrol does recruitment testing again?
                    Should have applied 3 years ago.

New prez/congress and bad economy...not good for BP.

Comment

• Not in CA. FLETC is not considered a POST academy. The work a Border Patrol agent performs is not consistent with what a Police Officer or Deputy is trained to do. Just like a Police Officer cant "lateral" to the BP. Not that one is better than the other, they are just different jobs with different authorities.

Comment

• Originally posted by Flying Pig View Post
                        Not in CA. FLETC is not considered a POST academy. The work a Border Patrol agent performs is not consistent with what a Police Officer or Deputy is trained to do. Just like a Police Officer cant "lateral" to the BP. Not that one is better than the other, they are just different jobs with different authorities.
                        How many pages back was that question?

Comment

• Originally posted by mil_intel_sgt View Post
                          What is the longest someone has remained in TSU before getting an academy date?
                          Called Minn. hiring center this morning. I entered TSU in Dec. 09 and TO in March 09. They said call back at the end of October 2010 for more info on a possible EOD date. They confirmed that they are now hiring off the TO date. It feels like I am going to be 80 years old by the time they call. I figured it would be a long time, I got my TO about two weeks before the stopped accepting applications. I believe I am going to get a job offer with the Ca dept. of corrections for a CO position in the next two to three weeks.

Comment

Last edited by SHU; 07-02-2019, 12:22 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by 67camaros View Post
                              Called Minn. hiring center this morning. I entered TSU in Dec. 09 and TO in March 09. They said call back at the end of October 2010 for more info on a possible EOD date. They confirmed that they are now hiring off the TO date. It feels like I am going to be 80 years old by the time they call. I figured it would be a long time, I got my TO about two weeks before the stopped accepting applications. I believe I am going to get a job offer with the Ca dept. of corrections for a CO position in the next two to three weeks.
                              I'm prepared for the long haul as well. I didnt enter TSU until last month with a TO date of August 09. I should be having an interview with the BOP sometime this month and if accepted I anticipate being hired late June or sometime in july. If I am hired with BOP I will keep up with the Border Patrol process and the process with ICE since I should be receiving a TO as an ICE SA sometime this summer. Good luck to all.

Comment

• BI has been complete for some time now. I just got put on military orders for the Florida Counter Drug Program and I was wondering if moving and taking a new job (even temporarily) is going to cause them to open up my case again? Its not that I have anything to hide but I would hate to get caught up in that Poly dragnet since its just one more thing to go through and I have heard of people failing who have nothing to hide.
                                "People sleep peacefully in their beds only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"
                                George Orwell

BP
                                Written Test - 2/14/2009 Passed
                                Medical Exam - 3/13/2009 Passed
                                Fitness Test - 3/13/2009 Passed
                                Drug Screening - 4/24/2009 Passed
                                Structured Interview - 4/29/2009 Passed
                                Pre-Employment Forms - Received
                                Qualifications - GL-7
                                Background Investigation - Met with BI 7/22/2009

TSU- 8/29/2009

ICE/IEA
                                Written Test - 5/27/2009 Passed
                                NOR - 7/10/2009 - 87.4%

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4900 users online. 251 members and 4649 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X