Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You live near any medical schools? A lot of teaching/research hospitals have sleep study centers and sleep apnea's kind of a hot field. You may want to ask around seeing if there are any researchers who may be interested in your specific situation (post-surgical solution to apnea, looking to check whether you're clear of Apnea symptoms), and actually make a few c-notes in the process. Not saying to get your hopes up, but might be worth asking around.

I also wonder whether just getting a letter from your doctor indicating all the symptoms associated with sleep apnea (blood pressure, weight gain, etc.) are no longer present, so a doctor may reasonably presume your quality of sleep is no longer a risk to your health. I mean sleep apnea itself isn't narcolepsy, and wouldn't affect your ability to perform as a BP unless you were getting sidelines with symptoms/affects of the disorder (blood pressure, weight gain, lack of fitness, etc.).

Originally posted by pappabacon View Post
    I finally found out what took so long for my medical to get cleared. I had sleep apnea due to large tonsils/being obese. I had surgery for the tonsils, and have worked out hard and dieted to lose the weight. After having the surgeon who completed the surgery attest in his statement that the surgery was successful, I received a letter this week indicating that I need to do another sleep study to prove that I no longer have apnea.

Unfortunately for me, because this is not medically necessary, I will have to foot the bill ($2000+) to have the study done. At this point I do not have the money to do this, so I guess I am out as far as being a Border Patrol Agent. I don't know what else to do at this point. I want to thank all of the Agents that frequent this board and give information to all of us applicants, even those who argue with them. I wish the best of you luck in your goal of becoming Agents. Everybody be safe out there.

Comment

Last edited by SHU; 07-02-2019, 01:42 PM.

Comment

• Thanks guys for the support. I found a place in Los Angeles that will send you a home kit to do the sleep study. I will check with MHC to find out if this is acceptable, and then check with this company to see if they can provide the specifics needed. It is only $450 as opposed to $2000+.

Keeping fingers crossed.
        Originally Posted by Law100
        Note to everyone: notice how respect I am

Comment

• Hurry up and wait!

Passed my oral on Thursday! Nice! BI called me today to let me know that my background will be completed by Friday (18th), then I wait. Just waiting for those green check marks! Thanks to all for the input, this has been a crazy process.

Comment

• Nevermind
            Last edited by BS_CJ; 09-14-2009, 05:12 PM.

Comment

• Section8's Offer

Joe offered me Marfa or Sierra Blanca. My TSU date is 04/24/09. My EOD date will be 10/12/09. Both stations seem to be checkpoints with some other possible work. Marfa's population is around 1500. Sierra Blanca's population is around 500. Thus, Sierra Blanca is a very small town. Yet, it is closer to a 'normal' city when compared to Marfa. You may post your suggestions.
              BPA Status
              TSU: 04/24/09
              EOD: 10/12/09, Sierra Blanca, TX
              Resigned: 10/28/09
              Reapplied: 07/29/11
              NOR: 08/24/11, 5 & 7 @ 93 (no Vet pref)
              TSL1: 12/16/11, forms sent
              PFT1: scheduled for 02/03/12
              Oral Board: scheduled for 02/03/12

CBPO Status
              Applied: 06/24/11
              Written: 07/21/11
              NOR: 08/30/11, 5 & 7 @ 94 (no Vet pref)

Comment

• Originally posted by Section8 View Post
                Joe offered me Marfa or Sierra Blanca. My TSU date is 04/24/09. My EOD date will be 10/12/09. Both stations seem to be checkpoints with some other possible work. Marfa's population is around 1500. Sierra Blanca's population is around 500. Thus, Sierra Blanca is a very small town. Yet, it is closer to a 'normal' city when compared to Marfa. You may post your suggestions.
                Some of my friends started out in Sierra Blanca and they said that the work over there was not very good (keep in mind that they were stationed there many years ago). I have no idea about the work at Marfa.

I would advise you to look real estate websites to see exactly what kind of housing is available in nearby areas. I think that Marfa is located near Alpine, TX, which is supposed to be a pretty nice smaller town with a university. You might want to call the stations and see if somebody will talk to you and ask them about the housing situation in the area and where the new trainees are living. If you choose Sierra Blanca and want to make the long commute from EL Paso then that is your choice and nobody can stop you from doing so. Just remember that as a trainee you are expected to arrive early and to stay late, a long commute is no excuse for tardiness or for trying to leave work early. Long commutes are doable though-my commute to work is 63 miles each way and I don't mind it. I have seen others that have a 15 mile commute and still can't make it to work on time.

Good luck at whichever station you pick.

Comment

• Originally posted by madchiken View Post
                  Actually, the new and improved academy has raised attrition. With the old academy, if you made it through the first few weeks it was because you wanted to be there. You busted your *** throughout the academy and through the 6 and 10 month tests. With the new program there are clases graduating less than half the class, some FTO programs that are down to just a few trainees.

My class had 24 trainees going to my station. We graduated 17 of those and in the years since then only one has left to a different agency.

A trainee just quit yesterday after someone saw his blog on myspace about how he didn't really want to be a BPA, but needed the job and didn't understand why everyone was disrespecting him in Artesia and telling him he needed to be better. He would have graduated this week.

Foolish are thse that do not know, but act like they do...

Mad, just got a chace to read that blog floating around here at the office. Facts like that blog is only one of the many reasons that proves what is happening nowadays. Its a shame because there are some Interns that are going to be 10-8, however, many bad apples like this one make it even harder for them to seperate themselves from others
                  There are two freedoms, the false is where one is free to do what he likes, and true where one is free to do what he ought. -Charles Kingsley.

HONOR FIRST!

Comment

• Thanks for the information about Sierra Blanca. I hope the work at Sierra Blanca has improved because my wife and I decided to select it due to its proximity to El Paso. I am not looking forward to the 70ish mile commute. However, I want to keep her near a decent sized city so she can get a good job. Now I am trying to decide if I trade my V6 Accord Coupe for a Prius.
                    BPA Status
                    TSU: 04/24/09
                    EOD: 10/12/09, Sierra Blanca, TX
                    Resigned: 10/28/09
                    Reapplied: 07/29/11
                    NOR: 08/24/11, 5 & 7 @ 93 (no Vet pref)
                    TSL1: 12/16/11, forms sent
                    PFT1: scheduled for 02/03/12
                    Oral Board: scheduled for 02/03/12

CBPO Status
                    Applied: 06/24/11
                    Written: 07/21/11
                    NOR: 08/30/11, 5 & 7 @ 94 (no Vet pref)

Comment

• I answered the NW BPA announcement in August. I still have never recieved my packet. Why?

Comment

• Originally posted by WannaBeTacMedic View Post
                        I answered the NW BPA announcement in August. I still have never recieved my packet. Why?
                        Did you take the written exam yet? Did you receive a score? Did you pass?

Comment

• Originally posted by Dreamcrusher View Post
                          Did you take the written exam yet? Did you receive a score? Did you pass?
                          I took the written test back in February 09. I recieved my score(yes I passed) a couple weeks later and then another application packet a week after. I was in the process for the SW border at the time. Passed the oral for them and then my file was closed because my app was late.

In august I received an email about BP taking NW applicants. I answerd the announcement and filled the online pre application. Recieved a letter with my test score again. I haven't receieved anything else though.

Im going to call tomorrow. Did people on here receive the packet yet from the august announcement?

Comment

• Originally posted by WannaBeTacMedic View Post
                            I took the written test back in February 09. I recieved my score(yes I passed) a couple weeks later and then another application packet a week after. I was in the process for the SW border at the time. Passed the oral for them and then my file was closed because my app was late.

In august I received an email about BP taking NW applicants. I answerd the announcement and filled the online pre application. Recieved a letter with my test score again. I haven't receieved anything else though.

Im going to call tomorrow. Did people on here receive the packet yet from the august announcement?
                            I had started the process for the southern border last year then pulled out because of a conflict. The only step I had completed was the written. Re-applied for NB in August and have completed all steps. Just waiting on background to clear and then TSU. I wouldn't call, I would email the MHC. I've tried calling in the past and had no luck, but emails seem to be returned with in 24-48 hours. Make sure you have your Ap ID and SSN, etc in the body of the email. Good Luck....
                            Last edited by AK-Bear; 09-16-2009, 11:46 PM. Reason: grammer

Comment

• Two quick questions to the agents in this forum. First, I'm curious how the shifts work in the BP. Do you bid for your shift every year based on seniority like some agencies or is it a rotation every few months? How does it work? Second, I was under the impression that when you got your call to EOD they basically gave you one station to choose from and it was a take it or leave it kinda deal. I was told today by someone with a brother in the BP that they give you several choices within a sector. How does that work? Thanks for the feedback!
                              "People sleep peacefully in their beds only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"
                              George Orwell

BP
                              Written Test - 2/14/2009 Passed
                              Medical Exam - 3/13/2009 Passed
                              Fitness Test - 3/13/2009 Passed
                              Drug Screening - 4/24/2009 Passed
                              Structured Interview - 4/29/2009 Passed
                              Pre-Employment Forms - Received
                              Qualifications - GL-7
                              Background Investigation - Met with BI 7/22/2009

TSU- 8/29/2009

ICE/IEA
                              Written Test - 5/27/2009 Passed
                              NOR - 7/10/2009 - 87.4%

Comment

• Originally posted by OEFvet83 View Post
                                Two quick questions to the agents in this forum. First, I'm curious how the shifts work in the BP. Do you bid for your shift every year based on seniority like some agencies or is it a rotation every few months? How does it work? Second, I was under the impression that when you got your call to EOD they basically gave you one station to choose from and it was a take it or leave it kinda deal. I was told today by someone with a brother in the BP that they give you several choices within a sector. How does that work? Thanks for the feedback!
                                Depends on the station, Some bid every six months while others rotate every few weeks.

When they call you, they offer what is available at that moment. Could be three stations in one sector, three stations - one in TX, one in AZ, and one in CA, or they might only have one station available and its take it or leave it.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5532 users online. 360 members and 5172 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X