Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yes you did. Why not just answer the guy without insults? Your answer was fine, but the condescending behavior from you and your colleagues was uncalled for. So man up and consider changing your attitude a little bit. I am willing to put this to bed! Let's agree to be reasonable and respectful to one another. I don't want this turning into another Honorfirst forum flame fest, only roasting those on the outside looking in. Eventually, people will stop contributing out of fear of public humiliation. If you guys want a good ole' boy's club, just simply create an officer-only forum and talk amongst yourselves. Dig?

I would prefer you to leave and take your ball. What...are you 5 years old? lol If Honorfirst imploded, NOTHING would change. Actually, I personally would be less annoyed, so therefore, my life would be easier. JUSTIFYING for whatever reason why you are a bully is not acceptable for an agent or LEO. Employees with that mindset are potential liabilities waiting to happen. I prefer to be an asset. How do you know I am not an annoyed BPA, or, your boss? It's not 1940 anymore. Change with the times or get off my patrol.
    Last edited by joejones; 08-20-2009, 06:18 PM.

Comment

• You say this:

Originally posted by joejones View Post
      I am willing to put this to bed! Let's agree to be reasonable and respectful to one another.
      And then continue with this:

Originally posted by joejones View Post
      I would prefer you to leave and take your ball. What...are you 5 years old? Change with the times or get off my patrol.
      Make up your mind Sir. You joined this forum today just to get into a ****ing match in this thread. You're probably not a PA since you list your location as MA, and there's no PA's that work in MA, so I am going to make the determination you are a troll and place you on my ignore list.

Good luck with your future endeavors, and stay safe out there.

Comment

• reading this thread from time to time makes me wonder why I applied for the BP. I have two degrees and by no means is this something I need to do, but i def. thought I wanted to. But holy **** every1 is so ****ing strung up.

/rant

Comment

• Originally posted by down4afight View Post
          reading this thread from time to time makes me wonder why I applied for the BP. I have two degrees and by no means is this something I need to do, but i def. thought I wanted to. But holy **** every1 is so ****ing strung up.

/rant
          I totaly agree. I also have two degrees including a masters, and was looking into this job because I wanted to have a federal law enforcement job where I wasnt sitting behind a desk for 10 hours a day, but after hearing the comments from these agents on this forum and seeing how they treat people, I have lost all desire to work for BP. Dreamcrusher and others do us all a favor and stop posting on this forum all together, half of your answers are incorrect anyway. Im sure there are a lot of Agents out there who are not pompous tough talking internet bad boys, leave the question answering to them.
          Thank You

Comment

• If you decide to withdraw your applications and need the address or telephone number to MHC, I will be happy to help.

Now if you are serious about becoming a Border Patrol Agent, can we end the whining and get back to business?

Comment

• Originally posted by madchiken View Post
              If you decide to withdraw your applications and need the address or telephone number to MHC, I will be happy to help.

Now if you are serious about becoming a Border Patrol Agent, can we end the whining and get back to business?
              Agreed. I think I touched upon a MAJOR negative issue I have seen on this forum and Honorfirst in regards to certain BPA's being 1st class a-holes and bullies. I do not assume that most BPA's are like this, but it does leave a lasting negative impression on who the agency employs. Ask yourself, would your boss approve of your behavior? MHC? CPA? Chief Aguilar?

All BPA's posting flaming material please advise: YOUR disrespectful behavior towards anyone NOT currently a BPA has an adverse affect on recruiting good people to the ranks of your agency. Many individuals on this forum and on HF are fed up with it and will simply stop listening. Please take this criticism to heart and learn from it. There is absolutely no justification to be a jerk to those posting (nearly all non-BP's have posted without any hint of malice, unlike the BPA's) legitimate questions, comments, and concerns about the BP job, regardless of your dispositions. Coping the attitude of "us BP's are harsh and that's the way us good ole' boys are...but we answer your questions so screw off..blah" really ruins working/personal relationships with potential future employees.

NEVER assume anyone you speak to on the forums is unintelligent and uneducated. NEVER assume anyone on the outside looking in knows less than you about your job or anything you claim to be an expert on. NEVER expect respect without giving it. NEVER assume people are desperate to have your job. NEVER assume because you are a BPA, that you are an expert at being a GOOD BPA. Live, Love, Learn.

Thanks all and I hope something positive comes of this.
              Last edited by joejones; 08-20-2009, 11:36 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by joejones View Post
                Agreed. I think I touched upon a MAJOR negative issue I have seen on this forum and Honorfirst in regards to certain BPA's being 1st class a-holes and bullies.
                What some of you consider to be "BPA's being 1st class a-holes and bullies" is what goes on all day long at BP stations across the country. We are a special breed of sarcastic.

You are not seeing the bad apples here giving advice. What you are seeing here and on HF are the agents that actually care about their agency. We get nothing out of posting in this thread, we already have the job. We are here to correct the vast amounts of misinformation that are spread by applicants and to educate applicants on what this career actually entails.

Hopefully, by knowing what you are getting yourselves in to and how to prepare, you will be better backup for the rest of us on the line while we arrest another 2 million people and catch another 2 million pounds of narcotics (we may even get up to 3 million pounds this year...).

Comment

• [QUOTE=madchiken;1950891]What some of you consider to be "BPA's being 1st class a-holes and bullies" is what goes on all day long at BP stations across the country. We are a special breed of sarcastic.

You are not seeing the bad apples here giving advice. What you are seeing here and on HF are the agents that actually care about their agency. We get nothing out of posting in this thread, we already have the job. We are here to correct the vast amounts of misinformation that are spread by applicants and to educate applicants on what this career actually entails.

Sorry. I don't buy it. I have first hand knowledge that your claims are indeed false (in general). I agree with you correcting the misinformation that exists, but the way the info is corrected is the issue. I believe you care about your agency. With that said, the way you and others represent yourselves through aggressive, abrasive, and bully-type behavior sets a poor example as a whole. Correcting spelling/grammar errors ad nauseam and humiliating posters who ask legitimate questions is counterproductive and useless. I would bet that at least half of current LEO's, BPA's, doctors, lawyers, etc. cannot effectively write at a high level. Does that mean they are less qualified or should be ridiculed? Maybe, maybe not.

Sarcasm in not the same as condescension. Friendly ribbing and jovial workplace behavior is one thing, but treating people disrespectfully is strictly busch league.

Comment

Sorry. I don't buy it. I have first hand knowledge that your claims are indeed false (in general). I agree with you correcting the misinformation that exists, but the way the info is corrected is the issue. I believe you care about your agency. With that said, the way you and others represent yourselves through aggressive, abrasive, and bully-type behavior sets a poor example as a whole. Correcting spelling/grammar errors ad nauseam and humiliating posters who ask legitimate questions is counterproductive and useless. I would bet that at least half of current LEO's, BPA's, doctors, lawyers, etc. cannot effectively write at a high level. Does that mean they are less qualified or should be ridiculed? Maybe, maybe not.

Sarcasm in not the same as condescension. Friendly ribbing and jovial workplace behavior is one thing, but treating people disrespectfully is strictly busch league.

First, what claims are false?

Second, I didn't correct anyone's spelling or grammar. I know that many of those that post in this thread have already been banned or just gave up on HonorFirst because they couldn't follow the rules over there. To me, that says a lot about them as applicants and potential LEO's. If you notice, there are only a handful of agents that will post here. I have been a member of this site since before my time in the Patrol. I'm not here for anything BP related, but while I am here, I keep an eye on this thread to make sure its not full of bad info.

To get back to what started this, someone used "u" instead of you and in my reply I put something along the lines of "You (or as u lyk 2 use, U) then answered their question. Where in that was I disrespectful or did I humiliate someone for asking a question?

Comment

• Originally posted by madchiken View Post
                      First, what claims are false?
                      This is:
                      <<What some of you consider to be "BPA's being 1st class a-holes and bullies" is what goes on all day long at BP stations across the country. We are a special breed of sarcastic. >>

Although it happens, this behavior is not the norm at all, or at most BP stations. Most of the BP's who engage in this negative behavior are not well liked by coworkers, bosses, the public, etc. Every station has their problem children, but by no way shape or form is the behavior you claim prevalent everywhere.

<<Second, I didn't correct anyone's spelling or grammar. I know that many of those that post in this thread have already been banned or just gave up on HonorFirst because they couldn't follow the rules over there. To me, that says a lot about them as applicants and potential LEO's>>

How would misspelling a word or not using proper grammar constitute judging someone as not being a good potential LEO? There are many non-native English speakers that would absolutely get hired sooner in MOST law enforcement jobs than most perfectly writing and speaking Americans. Why? Communication goes beyond the written word in the street. I read a post on Honorfirst where a moderator (BPA) was insulting an applicant on their grammar. This applicant wasn't born in America and was not a native speaker. Apparently, CBA and MHC thought highly enough of him to send him to TSU. Are you an adjudicator? If so, what are your credentials when it comes to the English language and proper writing techniques?

<<To get back to what started this, someone used "u" instead of you and in my reply I put something along the lines of "You (or as u lyk 2 use, U) then answered their question. Where in that was I disrespectful or did I humiliate someone for asking a question?

I wasn't offended by this comment. It was very tongue and cheek. I am referring to the many, many posts where you (and others) correct grammar and spelling like it somehow matters on an internet forum. Please read my comment above. Judging others on how good of a LEO they will be based on their poor writing and spelling skills is ridiculous. BTW, I worked as a published journalist for years and dude, I don't sweat peoples poor writing. Why waste time on unimportant things when we can discuss issues that matter? Honorfirst is THE place for spelling police, as 85% of all posts replied to by the BPA's on there are flame wars and are related to grammar. Be part of the solution, not the problem. Thank you
                      Last edited by joejones; 08-21-2009, 01:35 AM.

Comment

Although it happens, this behavior is not the norm at all, or at most BP stations. Most of the BP's who engage in this negative behavior are not well liked by coworkers, bosses, the public, etc. Every station has their problem children, but by no way shape or form is the behavior you claim prevalent everywhere.
                        And how would you know this? Are you implying that you are or were an agent? From my experience in LE, especially the Patrol, the vast majority are exactly as I described. I've never had any problems with my coworkers, supervisors, public, or anyone else.

How would misspelling a word or not using proper grammar constitute judging someone as not being a good potential LEO? There are many non-native English speakers that would absolutely get hired sooner in MOST law enforcement jobs than most perfectly writing and speaking Americans. Why? Communication goes beyond the written word in the street. I read a post on Honorfirst where a moderator (BPA) was insulting an applicant on their grammar. This applicant wasn't born in America and was not a native speaker. Apparently, CBA and MHC thought highly enough of him to send him to TSU. Are you an adjudicator? If so, what are your credentials when it comes to the English language and proper writing techniques?
                        Again, I'm not talking about correcting anyone, I was talking about their inability to follow directions or rules. That is why I do not correct spelling or grammar here, as it is not a rule.

I stayed out of this thread for a while a few months ago (as did the other agents here) due to applicants arguing fact solely because it meant bad news for them. Almost all of the answers to applicants questions here, during that time, were cut and pasted by other applicants from HF. Say what you want about the grammar police over there, but its their site and can run it any way they choose (and I agree with it). That being said HF is the best site for information regarding our hiring process.

Comment

• Internet slang and webspeak

I wanted to share this with you madchiken. I took this directly off the
                          delphi forum page that honorfirst uses. Notice how "u" is one of the words listed.

Chat & Forum Slang
                          Chat and message board participants often use a colorful language of initials to save keystrokes. Here's a guide to this "Webspeak:"

A/S/L Age/Sex/Location
                          AAK Asleep At Keyboard
                          AFK Away From Keyboard
                          ASAP As Soon As Possible
                          ASL Age/Sex/Location
                          AWOL Absent Without Leave
                          B/F Boyfriend
                          BBIAB Be Back In A Bit
                          BBIAS Be Back In A Sec
                          BBIAW Be Back In A While
                          BBL Be Back Later
                          BOFH Bad Operator From Heck
                          BRB Be Right Back
                          BROIL Brother-in-law
                          BRT Be Right There
                          BTDT Been There, Done That
                          BTW By The Way
                          DQYDJ Don't Quit Your Day Job
                          FUBAR Fouled Up Beyond All Recognition
                          FUD "Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt"
                          FYI For Your Information
                          G or <G> Grin
                          G/F Girlfriend
                          GA Go Ahead
                          GG Good Game or Good Going
                          GJ Good Job
                          GM Good Move
                          GMTA Great Minds Think Alike
                          GR8 Great
                          GRRRR Growling
                          GTG Got To Go
                          GTGP Got To Go Potty
                          GTH Go To Heck
                          HUGZ Hugs
                          IIRC If I Recall Correctly
                          ILY I Love You
                          IM Instant Message/Messaging
                          IMHO In My Humble Opinion
                          IMNSHO In My Not So Humble Opinion
                          JK or J/K Just Kidding
                          KEWL Cool
                          L8R Later
                          LMAO Laughing My A** Off
                          LOL Laughing Out Loud
                          LTNS Long Time No See
                          LYL Love You Lots
                          MOTD Message Of The Day
                          MSG Message
                          NM Never Mind
                          NOYB None Of Your Business
                          NP No Problem
                          OMG Oh My Gosh
                          OTOH On the Other Hand
                          PITA Pain In The A**
                          PLZ Please
                          PMFJIH Pardon Me For Jumping In Here
                          RE or RE's "Re-Hi," meaning "Hello again"
                          RL Real Life
                          ROFL Rolling on the Floor Laughing
                          ROTFL Rolling On The Floor Laughing
                          ROTFLMAO Rolling On The Floor Laughing My A** Off
                          ROTFLOL Rolling On The Floor Laughing Out Loud
                          RTFM Read The F***ing Manual
                          RU Are You?
                          S/M/F/BIL Sister/Mother/Father/Brother-in-law
                          SAHM Stay At Home Mom
                          STFU Shut The F*** Up
                          TANSTAAFL There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch
                          TGIF Thank Goodness It's Friday
                          THX Thanks
                          TIA Thanks In Advance
                          TLA Three Letter Acronym
                          TMI Too Much Information
                          TPTB The Powers That Be
                          TTFN Ta Ta For Now
                          TTYL Talk To You Later
                          TYVM Thank You Very Much
                          U You
                          U-R or UR You Are
                          WB Welcome Back
                          WEG Wicked Evil Grin
                          WG Wicked Grin
                          WTF What The F***?
                          WTG Way To Go!
                          WTH What the Heck
                          XOXO Hugs and Kisses
                          YMMV Your Mileage May Vary
                          YW You're Welcome
                          ZUP? What's Up?
                          (((((name)))) Hug

Comment

• I am asking this question not to start another fight but because I would like an answer: Why do some of the BP agents that post on forums put so much time and energy into attacking people about their grammer spelling and abbreviations. I have seen all of them make the same mistakes and use the same abbreviations. There is'nt even a written test requirment to get into BP unlike almost every other federal LE job. Furthermore, not that I think you need to have a college degree to be a good LE office, but BP only requires a Highschool education. I have also counted at least 5 different occasions on this thread where a BP agent has given the completely wrong answer and was called out on it or proven wrong. My point is everyone makes mistakes once in a while, agent or not, so just try and be a little more courteous on this sight. There are a lot of agents who do give realy good constructive advice on this forum and on honorfirst, and I thank you for your time and service.

Comment

• Originally posted by CPD326 View Post
                              I am asking this question not to start another fight but because I would like an answer: Why do some of the BP agents that post on forums put so much time and energy into attacking people about their grammer spelling and abbreviations. I have seen all of them make the same mistakes and use the same abbreviations. There is'nt even a written test requirment to get into BP unlike almost every other federal LE job. Furthermore, not that I think you need to have a college degree to be a good LE office, but BP only requires a Highschool education. I have also counted at least 5 different occasions on this thread where a BP agent has given the completely wrong answer and was called out on it or proven wrong. My point is everyone makes mistakes once in a while, agent or not, so just try and be a little more courteous on this sight. There are a lot of agents who do give realy good constructive advice on this forum and on honorfirst, and I thank you for your time and service.
                              Just FYI, it's "grammar," not "grammer."

Comment

• All;

Stop the arguing and let the posts be informative. We've received numerous complaints and reported posts. This thread is FAR too long to be moderated post by post. If the in-fighting continues, the thread will be deleted to the detriment of all who come looking for answers.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11344 users online. 274 members and 11070 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X