Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last edited by SHU; 07-02-2019, 01:56 PM.

Comment

• SHU, it doesn't matter how many agents tell them. They just won't get it until they are there and realize that they have to cover a couple of states, to incluse OA calls or do bus checks in dress uniform every day.

Meanwhile, we'll be chasing people and pulling cocaine and crystal meth out of compartments. Tough choice...

Comment

• On that note, those of you applicants who are really looking to work should put down the Arizona/Tucson Sector for geographical preference. More marijuana and illegal alien seizures than the rest of the patrol combined.

Comment

• Its not that some of us dont wanna be good at the job or are looking for an easy way out. I for one just need a job. I have bills to pay and family members I need to assist. That is more important to me than being given a hard time at work. Ive been a pvt in the army so getting a bad detail in a dress uniform pales in comparrison to some of the detail Ive done in the army. I would much rather work on the southern border and get into the "thick" of things but I need employment lined up for wen I leave active duty.

Would it be hard transfering from the N. Border to the southwest once on duty? I would imagine having to put in a couple years up north before being eligible to apply.

Is Northern Border work considered to be easier? The announcement says new PA's have to spend 10 months after the academy in the SW before reporting to their N. Border post anyway.

Comment

Last edited by SHU; 07-02-2019, 01:56 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by marcvann23 View Post
              Is Northern Border work considered to be easier? The announcement says new PA's have to spend 10 months after the academy in the SW before reporting to their N. Border post anyway.
              since you're so worried about money, just know that when youre in the SW border before getting to your NB station, you're considered to be on detail and you get better pay accordingly.
              "Officer, you are kinda hot."

"And you are kinda intoxicated."

Comment

• Originally posted by CWU View Post
                On that note, those of you applicants who are really looking to work should put down the Arizona/Tucson Sector for geographical preference. More marijuana and illegal alien seizures than the rest of the patrol combined.
                when I applied, it was Cali or Texas as available SW options

Comment

• Originally posted by SHU View Post
                  Those of you considering changing your geo pref to the NB from the southern border just to get picked up faster, don't do it. If you want to be a real PA you have to do your time on the line in order to learn the job. You will be considered less of a PA if you opt for the NB. Those crusty old agents on the NB will give you ZERO respect for a very long time. Maybe never. In the Patrol everything is based off your reputation. If your 10-8 you get details and doors open. Your rep will be crap if you do the NB before you do your time. Starting off in the Patrol is very tough after you leave the academy. The academy is nothing compared to the real job. It takes years to learn this job. You can get a VRP after a couple of years to the NB. Don't cheat yourself by going there after a year and a half.
                  i know for me I wouldnt wanna stay at NB, I just wanna get through the process and academy faster..id be quite happy to then transfer to SB right after lol

Comment

• Originally posted by bigpoppaproppy View Post
                    i know for me I wouldnt wanna stay at NB, I just wanna get through the process and academy faster..id be quite happy to then transfer to SB right after lol
                    Then you need to put in for SB. They are having a hard time filling spots on the NB (for various reasons), do you think they are going to let a NB trainee transfer to the SB?

Comment

• What is it like on the NB? I'm sure its not as action packed as in the southwest but what do the day to day duties consist of? Are there any northern border agents that can answer this?

Comment

• Originally posted by madchiken View Post
                        Then you need to put in for SB. They are having a hard time filling spots on the NB (for various reasons), do you think they are going to let a NB trainee transfer to the SB?
                        I know they opened hiring on NB, but I thought it always filled up VERY fast and thats its NOT hard to fill spots there

sorry for my ignorance

Comment

• Cliff notes on transfers...

There are alot of senior agents who accepted transfers to the NB, but later had to decline due to the housing market. Others were selected, but their SB station/sector wouldn't release them because they couldn't loose the manpower. The union and OBP have been butting heads on these and other issues, so they haven't had the usual transfer openings every six months. However, a bunch of guys are moving north in the next month or two.

OBP is trying to stick warm bodies in those open spots and, to get Congress off their backs, decided that any warm body out of the academy is good enough.

Comment

• One of my buddies who tested around the same time as I did (FEB 09) just got a call from his BI to schedule him for a polygraph. Is the border patrol now polygraphing all applicants or is it random?
                            "People sleep peacefully in their beds only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"
                            George Orwell

BP
                            Written Test - 2/14/2009 Passed
                            Medical Exam - 3/13/2009 Passed
                            Fitness Test - 3/13/2009 Passed
                            Drug Screening - 4/24/2009 Passed
                            Structured Interview - 4/29/2009 Passed
                            Pre-Employment Forms - Received
                            Qualifications - GL-7
                            Background Investigation - Met with BI 7/22/2009

TSU- 8/29/2009

ICE/IEA
                            Written Test - 5/27/2009 Passed
                            NOR - 7/10/2009 - 87.4%

Comment

• Originally posted by OEFvet83 View Post
                              One of my buddies who tested around the same time as I did (FEB 09) just got a call from his BI to schedule him for a polygraph. Is the border patrol now polygraphing all applicants or is it random?
                              Border Agents, Lured by the Other Side

Article is lazy press release rehashing, but the short version to answer your question seems to be the goal is to ultimately have every applicant polygraphed, but I don't know the % actually having polys done on them right now.

Article implies that the poly's will grow to 100% as the BP's internal affairs group grows.

Comment

• Originally posted by OEFvet83 View Post
                                One of my buddies who tested around the same time as I did (FEB 09) just got a call from his BI to schedule him for a polygraph. Is the border patrol now polygraphing all applicants or is it random?
                                For some reason it appears to be random on who they polygraph.
                                BPA
                                Pre-Employment Forms: Completed
                                Qualifications: Cleared GL-5 Pay Grade
                                Written exam 12/2008 Passed
                                Fitness 01/2009 Passed
                                Drug Screening: Cleared
                                Medical Cleared 02/2009
                                Oral Broad Passed 03/2009
                                Background Contacted 05/24 Cleared in CASS 06/30
                                TSU?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5452 users online. 242 members and 5210 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X