Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Border Patrol usually has 1-3 new classes EOD each week. That is slowly dropping from the peak last year of 3 classes of 50 every week.

Comment

• Hey Madchiken, since you seem like one of our most knowledgeable fellas in here, do you know how much will the switch to the new budget in October will hurt the ones still in the process and the hiring?
      BPA:
      Written Test: Passed (97%)
      Reactivated Feb 09
      Pre-Employment Forms: Completed
      Qualifications: Qualified GL-7
      Medical Exam: Completed
      Drug Test: Completed
      Fitness: Completed
      Oral Board: Completedhttp://img339.imageshack.us/img339/6315/dancing.gif
      Background Investigation: Completed

IEA ICE
      Written Test: Passed (80% )
      Oral Interview: Passed 07/14/09
      Paperwork Sent In And No Idea When I'll Get An Answer

Comment

• Should't change much from how it is right now. Maybe slow back down to one class a week like it was in 2006, before the big push.

Comment

• Anyone know how the BP views those who are currently a Guardsman or Reservist? I know the "Politically correct" answer would be it doesn't matter, but we know that isn't always true.

Does the BP support those who serve part time and make allowences for the commitment?

Thanks for your time.

Comment

• Originally posted by Colorado LEO 2B View Post
            Anyone know how the BP views those who are currently a Guardsman or Reservist? I know the "Politically correct" answer would be it doesn't matter, but we know that isn't always true.

Does the BP support those who serve part time and make allowences for the commitment?

Thanks for your time.
            It makes absolutely no difference in the hiring process, if anything, when you get to your station your FTOs will probably look more favorably upon somebody with military experience. You get 15 days of military leave a year, they will always adjust your schedule for drill (except at the academy). If you use up all of your military leave days then you have to adjust your schedule so that you use your days off for drill. They will work with you and they have to work with you. If you get deployed you will not double dip, but upon your return you will receive all grade /step increases as if you had never left.

The only issues I have had have been from teh guard, not the Border Patrol. I transferred duty stations about 6 months ago and they still can't find me an NCO slot in the AZ national guard. Depending upon which state you EOD in the interstate transfer process can be quite a pain with the guard.

Comment

• Applied 2009. Just received offer today and EOD 7/20. If Anyone else did email me.

Comment

• Originally posted by ciel75 View Post
                Applied 2009. Just received offer today and EOD 7/20. If Anyone else did email me.
                Congrats, I should enter TSU any day now, and they I will be awaiting the call. When did apply in 2009.
                BPA
                Qualifications: Cleared GL-5 Pay Grade
                Written exam 12/2008 Passed
                Fitness 01/2009 Passed
                Drug Screening: Cleared
                Medical Cleared 02/2009
                Oral Broad Passed 03/2009
                Background Contacted 05/24 Cleared in CASS 06/30
                TSU?

Comment

• Originally posted by Colorado LEO 2B View Post
                  Anyone know how the BP views those who are currently a Guardsman or Reservist? I know the "Politically correct" answer would be it doesn't matter, but we know that isn't always true.

Thanks for your time.
                  I'll state that in my sector NG/Reserves are fully supported as well. I deployed with the TXARNG while I was still on probation with no problems from the BP. The BP actually did a much better job of taking care of my family than the TXARNG did. I know of several Agents who are drilling currently and they never have a problem. Reserve and NG members at my station are also given time to attend service schools as well. (NCO Academies, Air Assault School, etc.) I also know of current reservists who are currently in positions in the Patrol that they were selected for competitively with full knowledge that they were in the reserves/NG.

There is an Agent at our station who was activated only one or two weeks after his graduation from the Academy. He's not back yet. When he comes back, he'll have been promoted just as though he was here the whole time. He still has to complete the Field Training Program though.

I have heard of incidents where supervisors who were unaware of the Patrol's policy and the law gave people static about drill dates and AT dates. They were educated quickly.

Though I don't claim that this is 100% how it is everywhere in the Patrol, I do have a great deal of inside information (and experience) dealing with this topic. The bottom line is that the Patrol's policy is that if you want to be in the Reserves or the NG, that's fine. As stated earlier, you get 15 days military leave every year. That is leave that your non reservist co workers do not get. It'll be extremely tough on you while you're on probation, but, that's a choice you'll make on your own.

Good luck and stay safe.
                  Last edited by Solohammer; 07-07-2009, 06:05 PM. Reason: more info

Comment

• Originally posted by Solohammer View Post
                    I'll state that in my sector NG/Reserves are fully supported as well. I deployed with the TXARNG while I was still on probation with no problems from the BP. The BP actually did a much better job of taking care of my family than the TXARNG did. I know of several Agents who are drilling currently and they never have a problem. Reserve and NG members at my station are also given time to attend service schools as well. (NCO Academies, Air Assault School, etc.) I also know of current reservists who are currently in positions in the Patrol that they were selected for competitively with full knowledge that they were in the reserves/NG.

There is an Agent at our station who was activated only one or two weeks after his graduation from the Academy. He's not back yet. When he comes back, he'll have been promoted just as though he was here the whole time. He still has to complete the Field Training Program though.

I have heard of incidents where supervisors who were unaware of the Patrol's policy and the law gave people static about drill dates and AT dates. They were educated quickly.

Though I don't claim that this is 100% how it is everywhere in the Patrol, I do have a great deal of inside information (and experience) dealing with this topic. The bottom line is that the Patrol's policy is that if you want to be in the Reserves or the NG, that's fine. As stated earlier, you get 15 days military leave every year. That is leave that your non reservist co workers do not get. It'll be extremely tough on you while you're on probation, but, that's a choice you'll make on your own.

Good luck and stay safe.
                    El Centro Sector seems to be extremely friendly towards .mil guys as well. One guy showed up after he was deployed one week before graduating the academy. He basically showed back up with a couple months left on his probationary period (luckily the patrol only made him do one more week of academy stuff instead of retreading the entire thing).
                    "Officer, you are kinda hot."

"And you are kinda intoxicated."

Comment

• sorry if this has been brought up, but I'm not on here much and didn't see anything

I know the whole process for new applicants is basically frozen, but has anyone heard any rumors on how long this is gonna last? I passed my written and am waiting for the packet, and when I called they said everyones frozen where theyre at for now to clear out old applicants and make room, but didnt know how long

just curious if anyones heard rumors on a timeline

Comment

• Don't know what this says about people currently in process, but USAjobs just put out a bunch of ads for N. border positions. Application window closes 9/30 or whenever their applicant queue reaches 12,000.

Originally posted by bigpoppaproppy View Post
                        sorry if this has been brought up, but I'm not on here much and didn't see anything

I know the whole process for new applicants is basically frozen, but has anyone heard any rumors on how long this is gonna last? I passed my written and am waiting for the packet, and when I called they said everyones frozen where theyre at for now to clear out old applicants and make room, but didnt know how long

just curious if anyones heard rumors on a timeline

Comment

• I was looking on USAJObs, they have opened up the border patrol again for the northern border. I was in the process but failed there poly???dang pseudo science.. Oh well

Comment

• http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m.../ai_n28089728/

Among the reasons the state might provide fertile recruiting grounds are the Fort Leavenworth and Fort Riley military bases. About 25 percent of Border Patrol agents are military veterans.

"We have strong ties to the military," Abbott said. "We appreciate the skill set the veterans bring to our agency, and we're hoping that what they've done can translate to a successful career with the Border Patrol."
                            Your turn.
                            "Officer, you are kinda hot."

"And you are kinda intoxicated."

Comment

• Well, this has been active as of late

Still waiting to clear the BI....
                              BPA:
                              Written Test: Passed (97%)
                              Reactivated Feb 09
                              Qualifications: Qualified GL-7
                              Medical Exam: Completed
                              Drug Test: Completed
                              Fitness: Completed
                              Oral Board: Completedhttp://img339.imageshack.us/img339/6315/dancing.gif
                              Background Investigation: Completed

IEA ICE
                              Written Test: Passed (80% )
                              Oral Interview: Passed 07/14/09
                              Paperwork Sent In And No Idea When I'll Get An Answer

Comment

• To think this is all started with a simple question.......

I apologize if I've started something here

Thanks to all that have contributed to the thread, it has truly answered 99% of the questions I'm afraid to ask at ww.honorfirst.com, I only read overthere; not post.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8494 users online. 273 members and 8221 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X