Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Regarding the Academy -- from everything I've heard and seen (videos) it's very demanding. I have two friends that are there currently -- the first one graduates tomorrow actually, I got a text message from him that he passed his Spanish test -- he's been down there since the middle of Febuary.

Another friend has been there for the last 5 or 6 weeks -- in both cases they had about 4-6 people drop out in the first few weeks and they were doing 2-4 hours of home work per night.

My buddy described the Academy as "no joke" but beyond that I think the hardest part is being away from my wife and family for 5 months -- My friend had to miss the birth of his second daughter, so he flew back home to be with his wife and family for a day on the weekend (Leave NM at 9am on Saturday and he was back by 5pm on Sunday).

May be a bit easier for me as Artisa is a little less then 500 miles away from me - If I make it through the rest of the hiring process and depending on the time of year I go down, I plan on taking the motorcycle down instead of a car --During the summer I've done a lot of weekend road trips with my friends, covering 500-600 miles a day on my R1 -- my FZ600 however is a lot more comfy since it doesn't have the agressive riding position (think horse jokey) of other sport bikes.

You can fit the basics in saddle bags, a tank bag and tail bag but there's also a Wal-Mart in Artesia that you can get stuff from too. (My first idea was taking the car down with suitcases and driving back the first weekend to get the bike but that wouldn't be needed with Wally world around the corner =P

Comment

• Originally posted by Stardominion View Post
      Question: With the hiring freeze, does anyone know what's happening with those of us that are still going through the application process? I just read in another guy's signature (all though that was for CBP) his tenative offer is on hold until Fiscal Year 2010.
      Answering your question there is no hiring freeze. The Border Patrol is still hiring they have just closed the announcement because they already have 16,000 applicants in the process to cover their hiring needs as of right now. With that being said those who have received a Tentative Offer will continue along in the process. Also, I recommend that you visit the site honorfirst.com there you will find a lot of answers to all of your questions on the their forum. Just make sure to read the rules of the forum and research your question before you ask it.
      BPA
      Pre-Employment Forms: Completed
      Qualifications: Cleared GL-5 Pay Grade
      Written exam 12/2008 Passed
      Fitness 01/2009 Passed
      Drug Screening: Cleared
      Medical Cleared 02/2009
      Oral Broad Passed 03/2009
      Background Contacted 05/24 Cleared in CASS 06/30
      TSU?

Comment

• Originally posted by nanook2150 View Post
        Answering your question there is no hiring freeze. The Border Patrol is still hiring they have just closed the announcement because they already have 16,000 applicants in the process to cover their hiring needs as of right now. With that being said those who have received a Tentative Offer will continue along in the process. Also, I recommend that you visit the site honorfirst.com there you will find a lot of answers to all of your questions on the their forum. Just make sure to read the rules of the forum and research your question before you ask it.
        this...I took one of the last tests and scored high....hadn't gotten a packet yet so I called the office...they basically summarized it that they are overloaded, and basically stopped everyone for the moment where theyre at to clear out old candidates...once theyre caught up we'll all get moevd through still, just dunno when

Comment

• Originally posted by Armyguy83 View Post
          Does anyone know how difficult, if at all, is the academics at Border Patrol Acdemy?
          Of my class, 38 of our original 50 graduated. 3-4 took other jobs, plain didn't want to be there, or couldn't hack PT. The rest of the failures were due to academics.

If you drink and party on the weekends and can pass the exams, good for you. If you drink and party on the weekends and get thrown out, blame yourself. Most cats who didn't pass the exams weren't exactly studying all weekend long.

Comment

• CWU how many months did you spend in the academy?

Comment

• Originally posted by ronaldbur View Post
              CWU how many months did you spend in the academy?
              Non-Spanish speakers stay for 5, Spanish-fluent trainees stay for 3. I was among the 'non.'

Comment

• I took the test back in mid april and got my NOR in late april (95%), I still havent received any sort of further info. Should I be worried? Should I call the office, or should I just wait?

Comment

• Originally posted by marcvann23 View Post
                  I took the test back in mid april and got my NOR in late april (95%), I still havent received any sort of further info. Should I be worried? Should I call the office, or should I just wait?
                  I wouldn't worry just yet. I tested the first week of June, scored a 95% and just received a conditional offer packet in the mail. Still early in the process but things look promising. I think it really depends on what Geo location you picked, then they screen as needed from there. (I'm no expert though, I learn as I read the postings)

Good luck.

Comment

• What geo pref did you choose? I chose CA, maybe i should change it to hear something quicker

Comment

• still waiting

Pre-Employment Forms completed
                      Qualifications completed
                      Medical Exam completed
                      Structured Interview completed
                      Drug Screening completed
                      Fitness completed
                      Background Investigation pending

Does anyone know how long it usually takes for the BI investigator to make contact? i have been waiting since May 1st to be at least contacted.
                      Last edited by dimes4; 07-04-2009, 11:24 AM.

Comment

• Depends on when Internal Affairs reaches your file and assigns you one. There are 14,000 applicants in the process also waiting for their BIs. It takes time. Once they assign you a BI, he or she will call you within 24 hours to schedule a time to sit down and interview you. Once the interview is complete, they usually have about two weeks to submit their reports to IA in Washington, D.C.

Comment

Last edited by SHU; 07-02-2019, 01:58 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by dimes4 View Post
                            Does anyone know how long it usually takes for the BI investigator to make contact? i have been waiting since May 1st to be at least contacted.
                            They will pull a credit report and I got a call from BI a few weeks after that. You experience may vary.
                            trainee

Comment

• Originally posted by flyfrog View Post
                              They will pull a credit report and I got a call from BI a few weeks after that. You experience may vary.

thanks Flyfrog---now how long did you wait after you completed everything except the BI to receive that initially call? Is there anyway to prepare?? How long is it? did you do a lie detector (i dont have anything to hide but nervous with wires/machines). i am in Charlotte NC and i heard some folks actually do their interview over the phone?

Well man i appreciate any info you might have and i realize we are all in the same boat and have to wait it out.

thanks

Comment

• How often to border patrol academies start? I will be discharged from the army in November 20th, when is the soonest academy start day after that?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8360 users online. 246 members and 8114 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X