300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by AlcatrazT2 View Post
    Well, it looks like I'm going to be taking an LSAT prep course as a backup plan.

I've been in the security office since the beginning of March and no news as of yet.

I'm guessing I won't hear anything by October so preparing and taking the Sept. 26 LSAT test for law school admission might be a good plan.

Any ideas? I have a feeling once I sign up and enroll in the prep. course, I'm going to hear from someone.

I got a 140 on my LSAT back in 07 but then I just decided to focus on Border Patrol, Good luck man, actually having taken the LSAT and the GRE prepared me for the BPA Test
    BPA:
    Written Test: Passed (97%)
    Reactivated Feb 09
    Pre-Employment Forms: Completed
    Qualifications: Qualified GL-7
    Medical Exam: Completed
    Drug Test: Completed
    Fitness: Completed
    Oral Board: Completedhttp://img339.imageshack.us/img339/6315/dancing.gif
    Background Investigation: Completed

IEA ICE
    Written Test: Passed (80% )
    Oral Interview: Passed 07/14/09
    Paperwork Sent In And No Idea When I'll Get An Answer

Comment

• Originally posted by TPA3312 View Post
      That's a lot of questions. Some of them are interesting and some are laughable. Have you tried asking them on the HonorFirst.com forum? Over there they have a lot more active BPAs and people in the academy.
      well...I would not have viewed any of my questions as laughable...

But, I am on dialup and everything on the net takes forever for me to do. I'm doing searches there too for what I can find relevant to my questions.

EDIT: found info on the room size and "taking care of business" part
      Last edited by Atomic Tofu; 04-28-2009, 05:13 PM. Reason: found some info
      Applied - 03/06/09
      Tested - 04/11/09 - passed 94 - compressed
      E-qip - 04/18/09 - and forms mailed

Comment

• Originally posted by BPA2Be View Post
        I got a 140 on my LSAT back in 07 but then I just decided to focus on Border Patrol, Good luck man, actually having taken the LSAT and the GRE prepared me for the BPA Test
        Thanks brother!

I'm thinking about taking the Sept. 26 LSAT. The prep. course starts mid. June and ends right before the test sometime in Sept. I just don't know if it'll be a wise choice to drop $1,100. Looking at my timeline, do you think it'll be safe to go ahead and take the class?
        United States Border Patrol
        08/2009 - Tentative Scheduling Unit.

Comment

• Originally posted by Atomic Tofu View Post
          Hi guys...

Long time lurker

I'm waiting on my initial call ins, medical/oral...

I have some questions hopefully some can answer.

---
          To start...guys like madchicken, shu, solohammer...can you tell me if the MASS majority of the Border Patrol are like you guys? I would say I gravitate towards this "type". I am looking for a career where everyone, or a majority are like me...that is...work is work, get to it and no slacking off. I'm fairly "youngish" in the scheme of life, but almost an old timer for the federal age requirement (I'll be 36 this year). I am considered crotchety by most in the work place...but, there is a time and place for everything.
          You'll encounter all personality types in the Patrol, from the crotchety to the immature. Age doesn't necessarily have anything to do with it. If you're ********ed to other trainees it'll get noticed. If you're ********ed towards your FTOs and Journeymen in the field, it'll definately get noticed. If you're not a team player, you're going to have a problem the whole time you're in training. If you go to a checkpoint station, you'll have a problem your whole career. I'm not saying that you're not a team player, or applying any other label to you, I'm merely stating how it is in the field. Anyway, on to the next question.

So 90%+? I hope so.
          I have no clue what you mean.

Secondly...dorm life.
          I am a vegetarian and I work out an appreciable amount. I consume my food on the 2-3 hours cycle. I know our meals are provided for us...BUT...would we have access to the kitchen? I would like to have use of a blender to make my protein smoothies, is this possible? I don't require it, as I can just use my shaker cups, but was just curious.
          You won't have access to the kitchen. You do have electricity in your room. What the policy is on blenders, I have no clue. When I went to the Academy, I had a fridge provided, and my first roommate bought us a coffee maker. You'll find out what you can and can't have in your room when you get there. As I've never been to Artesia, I can't say for sure.(Before you ask, I went to the Academy in Charleston.)

On the dorms - They are two person units...can anyone tell me the up-to-date make up and dimensions of the dorms? 12x12? Does it have it's own bathroom or do we take care of business somewhere else? Do the rooms have mini fridges we can use?
          Also, our roommates, how is that decided? Do WE pick who we share rooms with or do the instructors? I don't really care who I room with, just hope it will be harmonius.
          Again, from my experience, we were assigned roommates. We had no choice in the matter. If you don't like your roommates, figure it out, or go hang out somewhere else. Perhaps by the time you get to ART it will have thinned out enough where it will only be two to a room again. I believe two rooms share a bathroom. I don't know their dimensions and I don't know what, exactly, comes in each room. You'll have to find out for sure from someone who's been there more recently than I.

When we are in class to learn our academics, may we bring some snack/meals?
          You can have whatever you want in your backpack. When I went through we were allowed to snack on our breaks, as long as we were back in time. Many of us would take this opportunity to partake of caffeine or cigarettes. I don't believe you can eat in class or drink anything but water, but I could be wrong. I kind of doubt it, though.

PT - watching the provided videos, I notice everyone in the same tshirt and shorts, do we all wear the same thing in class (i know we will eventually be wearing our uniforms right) AND during pt?
          Your Physical Techniques Uniform will be provide to you. You get no choice except for size. Wear what they give you, and be careful sneaking in extra items (like spandex running shorts). If you get caught, well, use your imagination.

Exercise and the gym - we can exercise and run extra anytime we want? I'd like to hit the gym for some strength conditioning and additional running if I need it.
          The fitness facility is available for after hours use. As for weekends, I don't know.

And...as far as PT. I know the instructors vary as to what they like to do, but are there guys who train in strength and explosiveness and ones who train in endurance? I know there are likely combinations here and there but merely curious on this latter question.
          Oh, and if/when I get there...I'll help any and all who need the strength conditioning.
          Yes, and yes. There are also instructors who are very good at ground work, and instructors who are very good at wrestling. You'll hit the basics and do a great deal of other stuff too. It varies a great deal from instructor to instructor. I know that's not what you wanted to hear, but that's the way it is. Your classmates will thank you for your help, but don't push yourself on them, they'll resent it.

Thanks guys. I hope to successfully pass all my steps and join in on what I had my eye on a few years ago...but simply missed out on because of familial influences.
          Good luck.

Comment

• Solo, thank you sir.
            United States Border Patrol
            08/2009 - Tentative Scheduling Unit.

Comment

• yes yes, thanks so much Solo...it appears some info varies and I am wondering if it is from updated rules or from academy locations. I'll learn when I'm there...hopefully

oh, and I'd like to add...about the crotchety stuff. I'm a team player, or at least want to be. I am hoping the Border Patrol is full of people who carry their own weight. The public or commercial sector is tiresome with overweight (not to offend) and slacker types. If the people that make up the Border Patrol are like my brother, "it's all good". My brother was going to do extradition for DHS but stayed in military. He's a LT Commander flying C-9s. Gotta love it

The 90% thing was based on this thread...I noticed some posters coming off as "punks". Forums may not be the absolute judge of character, but they can be a good indicator, which I'm hoping would prove me wrong (things like this I don't like to be right about). I'm hoping a great majority is like my brother or some of the more mature and strict posters.
              Last edited by Atomic Tofu; 04-28-2009, 09:18 PM. Reason: extra stuff ;)
              Applied - 03/06/09
              Tested - 04/11/09 - passed 94 - compressed
              E-qip - 04/18/09 - and forms mailed

Comment

• Originally posted by Atomic Tofu View Post
                yes yes, thanks so much Solo...it appears some info varies and I am wondering if it is from updated rules or from academy locations. I'll learn when I'm there...hopefully
                Don't worry. It seems I'll be learning about Artesia some time in the near future as well.

Comment

Well, it looks like I'm going to be taking an LSAT prep course as a backup plan.

I've been in the security office since the beginning of March and no news as of yet.

I'm guessing I won't hear anything by October so preparing and taking the Sept. 26 LSAT test for law school admission might be a good plan.

Any ideas? I have a feeling once I sign up and enroll in the prep. course, I'm going to hear from someone.

My idea is you should wait. I think you are rushing the process. You may be contacted by your investigator very soon.
                  BPA Status
                  TSU: 04/24/09
                  EOD: 10/12/09, Sierra Blanca, TX
                  Resigned: 10/28/09
                  Reapplied: 07/29/11
                  NOR: 08/24/11, 5 & 7 @ 93 (no Vet pref)
                  TSL1: 12/16/11, forms sent
                  PFT1: scheduled for 02/03/12
                  Oral Board: scheduled for 02/03/12

CBPO Status
                  Applied: 06/24/11
                  Written: 07/21/11
                  NOR: 08/30/11, 5 & 7 @ 94 (no Vet pref)

Comment

Thanks brother!

I'm thinking about taking the Sept. 26 LSAT. The prep. course starts mid. June and ends right before the test sometime in Sept. I just don't know if it'll be a wise choice to drop $1,100. Looking at my timeline, do you think it'll be safe to go ahead and take the class?
                    Wow...To be honest I did not pay for a course, this is an APTITUDE test there shouldn't be a course for it, I did study online, I found a pretty helpful site, Im gonna see if I find it again Ill PM it to you, but it's up to you whatever you think it's best.

As for the person above me, I would disagree, while the Investigator may contact you soon, there's no harm in keeping your options open for your future
                    BPA:
                    Reactivated Feb 09

IEA ICE

Comment

• Keeping options open is a great thing to do. However, do not do the LSAT class because you think your BPA process has stalled. If you sign up for the course, will they refund the cost if you cancel before the class starts? If yes, you may want to enroll then cancel if your BI goes well.
                      BPA Status
                      TSU: 04/24/09
                      EOD: 10/12/09, Sierra Blanca, TX
                      Resigned: 10/28/09
                      Reapplied: 07/29/11
                      NOR: 08/24/11, 5 & 7 @ 93 (no Vet pref)
                      TSL1: 12/16/11, forms sent
                      PFT1: scheduled for 02/03/12
                      Oral Board: scheduled for 02/03/12

CBPO Status
                      Applied: 06/24/11
                      Written: 07/21/11
                      NOR: 08/30/11, 5 & 7 @ 94 (no Vet pref)

Comment

• Originally posted by Section8 View Post
                        Keeping options open is a great thing to do. However, do not do the LSAT class because you think your BPA process has stalled. If you sign up for the course, will they refund the cost if you cancel before the class starts? If yes, you may want to enroll then cancel if your BI goes well.
                        Oh with this I agree...I still vote for not taking the course, seems like a ridiculous amount
                        BPA:
                        Reactivated Feb 09

IEA ICE

Comment

Last edited by SHU; 07-02-2019, 01:22 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by SHU View Post
                            You have to start working out a lot harder, today. I went through the academy last year. In my PT class we had days when we did well over 100 in addition to many other types of cals. Not every day but you will have those days. But we never did more than 25 as far as the count went. We would just go to 12 and start over again or start at negative 25 and go to 24 then start over again at negative 25. At 15-20 push ups you do not have the upper body strength to successfully complete the academy and you are predisposed to injury due to your current lack of upper body strength. The PT instructors will make your life miserable if you show up at your current level of fitness. Start today if you really want this job. Excuses are not an option at this point. If you do not get stronger before you go to the academy you probably will not make it. I'm not telling you this to put you down. I'm trying to save you from injury and the misery you will endure at the academy. Check out the link. This program works fast and its free. All you have to do is bust your tail and make it happen. Don't tell me you are too thin or to fat. That is just an excuse. No more excuses. Start pushing.

http://www.100pushups.info/
                            Bump to SHU on the 100 pushups program, I actually do this one: http://hundredpushups.com/

They also have one for 200 sit-ups, and 200 squats. If you don't have the time to get to the gym, or the money for equipment, you could do a lot worse. All of these programs are going to give you a lot of strength. I also started the http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml program, which is called the couch to 5k program. I know that these things alone will likely not yield all of the conditioning for the BP Academy, but they will get you in the right direction. I am not an Agent, so I don't know what specifically the Academy holds for you, but these are great places to start getting in shape, and they are free!
                            Originally Posted by Law100
                            Note to everyone: notice how respect I am

Comment

• Originally posted by Solohammer View Post
                              Don't worry. It seems I'll be learning about Artesia some time in the near future as well.
                              Are you going to become an instructor Solohammer?
                              Originally Posted by Law100
                              Note to everyone: notice how respect I am

Comment

• Originally posted by SHU View Post
                                You have to start working out a lot harder, today. I went through the academy last year. In my PT class we had days when we did well over 100 in addition to many other types of cals. Not every day but you will have those days. But we never did more than 25 as far as the count went. We would just go to 12 and start over again or start at negative 25 and go to 24 then start over again at negative 25. At 15-20 push ups you do not have the upper body strength to successfully complete the academy and you are predisposed to injury due to your current lack of upper body strength. The PT instructors will make your life miserable if you show up at your current level of fitness. Start today if you really want this job. Excuses are not an option at this point. If you do not get stronger before you go to the academy you probably will not make it. I'm not telling you this to put you down. I'm trying to save you from injury and the misery you will endure at the academy. Check out the link. This program works fast and its free. All you have to do is bust your tail and make it happen. Don't tell me you are too thin or to fat. That is just an excuse. No more excuses. Start pushing.

http://www.100pushups.info/
                                Thanks a lot, I did not take any offense, I am working out and I will check out the program

Originally posted by pappabacon View Post
                                Are you going to become an instructor Solohammer?
                                that was my read on what he said....maybe he will be my PT instructor there
                                BPA:
                                Reactivated Feb 09

IEA ICE

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12040 users online. 481 members and 11559 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X