300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by JobMePlease View Post
    I'm just curious, but what were the reasons for the failures (PT, academics, quitting)? I'm not sure if you are able to disclose that information but I thought I'd ask.

Congrats on your successful completion!
    1. Injuries
    2. Resigning (usually cause PT is too rough)
    3. Academics

This is my opinion though. Notice that two of those three things can easily be solved by preparing yourself before the academy.
    "Officer, you are kinda hot."

"And you are kinda intoxicated."

Comment

• Academy Training

Post Deleted
      Last edited by UCFknight; 02-26-2010, 10:27 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by UCFknight View Post
        sap123, how rough is the academy if people are getting hurt and quitting? I have been training but I am not sure what to expect. Can you give me an example of a normal week of physical training and what has been the hardest day so far? Thanks
        Honestly I don't think I can give you a good answer; I only know of what I went through. A lot of it has to do with what kind of PT instructors you have and what they prefer. Mine was a runner. He loved the permiter, the sprints, the suicides in the gym, all of that stuff, with maybe one or two matroom days. I've heard of other classes where PT instructors will hit the matroom every day with maybe one indicator a week, and then a perimeter run now and again.

There's just no way to difinitively say what you'll be doing here, but count on it being taxing. 5 days a week for 2 hours. If I were you, I'd focus on the cardio training more than anything else. Google 'couch to 5k running program' if you haven't started a solid running plan, try to figure out how to start doing some sprint exercises, stuff like that. Try not to neglect the strength training either. The 'starting strength' workout (google it) is a decent way to start off with compound lifts and what not if you're not a lifter or haven't been lifting for training.

Lastly, and this is just my opinion, concerning my hardest day: It was OC day.
        "Officer, you are kinda hot."

"And you are kinda intoxicated."

Comment

• Honestly, My real concern if/when I get the call and get into FLETC are Push-ups, I'm thin (not TOO thin, but im not all OUT OF SHAPE) and I still can't manage more than 15-20 push-ups, unless they are like in the Fitness test where you only had to go down until you hit the block

In the experience of those who are in FLETC right now or have been through it recently, how many is the most push-ups you had to do in a specific moment that you remember?
          BPA:
          Written Test: Passed (97%)
          Reactivated Feb 09
          Pre-Employment Forms: Completed
          Qualifications: Qualified GL-7
          Medical Exam: Completed
          Drug Test: Completed
          Fitness: Completed
          Oral Board: Completedhttp://img339.imageshack.us/img339/6315/dancing.gif
          Background Investigation: Completed

IEA ICE
          Written Test: Passed (80% )
          Oral Interview: Passed 07/14/09
          Paperwork Sent In And No Idea When I'll Get An Answer

Comment

• Entered TSU

I was sent to TSU on 04/24/2009. My geo preference is NM / W TX. I am qualified for GL-7.

Take care,
            Section8
            BPA Status
            TSU: 04/24/09
            EOD: 10/12/09, Sierra Blanca, TX
            Resigned: 10/28/09
            Reapplied: 07/29/11
            NOR: 08/24/11, 5 & 7 @ 93 (no Vet pref)
            TSL1: 12/16/11, forms sent
            PFT1: scheduled for 02/03/12
            Oral Board: scheduled for 02/03/12

CBPO Status
            Applied: 06/24/11
            Written: 07/21/11
            NOR: 08/30/11, 5 & 7 @ 94 (no Vet pref)

Comment

• 64 days in TSU and counting ! Wow ! with this much time i passed one academy and begin another one !

Comment

• CASS Updated...I Qualified for GL-7 WooohOoOoO
                BPA:
                Reactivated Feb 09

IEA ICE

Comment

• Originally posted by junito9210 View Post
                  64 days in TSU and counting ! Wow ! with this much time i passed one academy and begin another one !
                  I wouldn't worry. You should be getting called this week. I was just checking the HonorFirst TSU List and saw the wall of green right above your name. Besides, did you think they would call right when you entered TSU? Just skip over all the other applicants who entered two months before you? You have to wait in line just like everyone else, you are not that special.
                  Last edited by TPA3312; 04-28-2009, 03:15 PM.
                  Luck is where preparation meets opportunity. - Seneca

Comment

• Originally posted by TPA3312 View Post
                    I wouldn't worry. You should be getting called this week. I was just checking the HonorFirst TSU List and saw the wall of green right above your name. Besides, did you think they would call right when you entered TSU? Just skip over all the other applicants who entered two months before you? You have to wait in line just like everyone else, you are not that special.

You're right i'm not special ! but did you know that i took this test about a year ago, to be specific march 19 2008, i met all the requirements in october of last year, and i've been in TSU for 64 days. So i've been waiting for a year and two months ! Who enter First ?

Comment

You're right i'm not special ! but did you know that i took this test about a year ago, to be specific march 19 2008, i met all the requirements in october of last year, and i've been in TSU for 64 days. So i've been waiting for a year and two months ! Who enter First ?
                      And i'm not yelling, i'm just upset, i've been unemployed for about 5 months, waiting for this chance, and everytime i call them, there's different stories ! i'ts frustating and then you told me that i'm not special ?

Comment

Ok. And there were people who tested months before you who may or may not be waiting in TSU. All I am saying is there are people ahead of you in line waiting for an open position, and complaining and moaning won't help any. All you can do is sit and wait for your turn.

Comment

Originally posted by junito9210 View Post
                          And i'm not yelling, i'm just upset, i've been unemployed for about 5 months, waiting for this chance, and everytime i call them, there's different stories ! i'ts frustating and then you told me that i'm not special ?
                          You should be thankful that it's been this QUICK, when my brother joined the BPA back in 2001 or somewhere around that time he had to wait a REAL LONG time to get the call, thank goodness the passed administration opened the gates to federal LE jobs and we are the lucky ones who got in before they closed the announcements, just chill out, you're gonna be called eventually, waiting sucks, we all know that but we want this bad
                          BPA:
                          Reactivated Feb 09

IEA ICE

Comment

• Hi guys...

Long time lurker

I'm waiting on my initial call ins, medical/oral...

I have some questions hopefully some can answer.

---
                            To start...guys like madchicken, shu, solohammer...can you tell me if the MASS majority of the Border Patrol are like you guys? I would say I gravitate towards this "type". I am looking for a career where everyone, or a majority are like me...that is...work is work, get to it and no slacking off. I'm fairly "youngish" in the scheme of life, but almost an old timer for the federal age requirement (I'll be 36 this year). I am considered crotchety by most in the work place...but, there is a time and place for everything.

So 90%+? I hope so.

---
                            Secondly...dorm life.
                            I am a vegetarian and I work out an appreciable amount. I consume my food on the 2-3 hours cycle. I know our meals are provided for us...BUT...would we have access to the kitchen? I would like to have use of a blender to make my protein smoothies, is this possible? I don't require it, as I can just use my shaker cups, but was just curious.

On the dorms - They are two person units...can anyone tell me the up-to-date make up and dimensions of the dorms? 12x12? Does it have it's own bathroom or do we take care of business somewhere else? Do the rooms have mini fridges we can use?

When we are in class to learn our academics, may we bring some snack/meals?

PT - watching the provided videos, I notice everyone in the same tshirt and shorts, do we all wear the same thing in class (i know we will eventually be wearing our uniforms right) AND during pt?

Exercise and the gym - we can exercise and run extra anytime we want? I'd like to hit the gym for some strength conditioning and additional running if I need it.

Also, our roommates, how is that decided? Do WE pick who we share rooms with or do the instructors? I don't really care who I room with, just hope it will be harmonius.

----
                            And...as far as PT. I know the instructors vary as to what they like to do, but are there guys who train in strength and explosiveness and ones who train in endurance? I know there are likely combinations here and there but merely curious on this latter question.

Thanks guys. I hope to successfully pass all my steps and join in on what I had my eye on a few years ago...but simply missed out on because of familial influences.

Oh, and if/when I get there...I'll help any and all who need the strength conditioning.
                            Last edited by Atomic Tofu; 04-28-2009, 04:48 PM.
                            Applied - 03/06/09
                            Tested - 04/11/09 - passed 94 - compressed
                            E-qip - 04/18/09 - and forms mailed

Comment

• Well, it looks like I'm going to be taking an LSAT prep course as a backup plan.

I've been in the security office since the beginning of March and no news as of yet.

I'm guessing I won't hear anything by October so preparing and taking the Sept. 26 LSAT test for law school admission might be a good plan.

Any ideas? I have a feeling once I sign up and enroll in the prep. course, I'm going to hear from someone.

United States Border Patrol
                              08/2009 - Tentative Scheduling Unit.

Comment

• Originally posted by Atomic Tofu View Post
                                Hi guys...

Long time lurker

I'm waiting on my initial call ins, medical/oral...

I have some questions hopefully some can answer.

---
                                To start...guys like madchicken, shu, solohammer...can you tell me if the MASS majority of the Border Patrol are like you guys? I would say I gravitate towards this "type". I am looking for a career where everyone, or a majority are like me...that is...work is work, get to it and no slacking off. I'm fairly "youngish" in the scheme of life, but almost an old timer for the federal age requirement (I'll be 36 this year). I am considered crotchety by most in the work place...but, there is a time and place for everything.

So 90%+? I hope so.

---
                                Secondly...dorm life.
                                I am a vegetarian and I work out an appreciable amount. I consume my food on the 2-3 hours cycle. I know our meals are provided for us...BUT...would we have access to the kitchen? I would like to have use of a blender to make my protein smoothies, is this possible? I don't require it, as I can just use my shaker cups, but was just curious.

On the dorms - They are two person units...can anyone tell me the up-to-date make up and dimensions of the dorms? 12x12? Does it have it's own bathroom or do we take care of business somewhere else? Do the rooms have mini fridges we can use?

When we are in class to learn our academics, may we bring some snack/meals?

PT - watching the provided videos, I notice everyone in the same tshirt and shorts, do we all wear the same thing in class (i know we will eventually be wearing our uniforms right) AND during pt?

Exercise and the gym - we can exercise and run extra anytime we want? I'd like to hit the gym for some strength conditioning and additional running if I need it.

Also, our roommates, how is that decided? Do WE pick who we share rooms with or do the instructors? I don't really care who I room with, just hope it will be harmonius.

----
                                And...as far as PT. I know the instructors vary as to what they like to do, but are there guys who train in strength and explosiveness and ones who train in endurance? I know there are likely combinations here and there but merely curious on this latter question.

Thanks guys. I hope to successfully pass all my steps and join in on what I had my eye on a few years ago...but simply missed out on because of familial influences.

Oh, and if/when I get there...I'll help any and all who need the strength conditioning.
                                That's a lot of questions. Some of them are interesting and some are laughable. Have you tried asking them on the HonorFirst.com forum? Over there they have a lot more active BPAs and people in the academy.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6630 users online. 321 members and 6309 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X