Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yeah CBP i saw that but thats the timelines once your sent to TSU. I havent gotten to TSU yet, im still showing all completes on my Cass, Im waiting for them to send me to TSU.
    Border Patrol Agent:
    Pre Employment Forms- completed 6/24/2008
    Qualifications- completed4/2/2009
    Medical Exam- completed 8/15/2008
    Structured Interview- completed 8/6/2008
    Drug Screening- Completed 4/9/2009
    Background Investigation- completed 3/31/2009
    Fitness- completed 8/15/2008
    TSU-4/21/2009

Comment

• Originally posted by movalqb View Post
      Yeah CBP i saw that but thats the timelines once your sent to TSU. I havent gotten to TSU yet, im still showing all completes on my Cass, Im waiting for them to send me to TSU.
      Gotcha.. I believe I saw somewhere between 4-8 weeks. Not 100% though
      Border Patrol Timeline
      Studied my rear off - 1/22/2009 -2/10/2009
      Entrance exam: passed - 2/11/2009
      Recieved T.O. - 2/11/2009
      Oral board exam: passed - 2/17/2009
      Sent paperwork - 2/21/2009
      Fitness test: passed - 3/6/2009
      Drug test: passed - 3/13/2009
      Medical exam: passed - 3/19/2009
      Qualifications: accepted GL5 - 4/2/2009

Comment

• NB Preference

Any NB preference around here?

If there are, were you told to give them a few preferences for stations? I was told that I only put one preference down and will not go anywhere until the spot is open for that sector. It seems different for the SB apps.

I'm still hanging around inside TSU, doing pushups and running like a mad man.

Comment

• And I'm curious if anyone has read this from CNN today?

http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/04/17/imm...aid/index.html

If it's true, my current job might as well be eliminated.

Comment

• Originally posted by JobMePlease View Post
            And I'm curious if anyone has read this from CNN today?

http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/04/17/imm...aid/index.html

If it's true, my current job might as well be eliminated.
            [Changed]
            Last edited by TPA3312; 04-19-2009, 01:28 PM.
            Luck is where preparation meets opportunity. - Seneca

Comment

Last edited by SHU; 07-02-2019, 02:29 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by TPA3312 View Post
                From what I understand from the news story the new secretary of DHS may be ending work place raids. But that is done by ICE and not Border Patrol so we should be okay. I don't want to say too much since if we get hired Secretary Napolitano would be our boss. If we get hired before any freeze by her, we should be okay since the Border Patrol is unionized, but who knows with this current administration.

As I said I don’t want to say too much in fear of being labeled an extremist per the new DHS declassified report on right-wing activists.

http://www.foxnews.com/projects/pdf/..._extremism.pdf
                I wasn't worried about PAs in BP, but working for CIS, that would be an issue.

CIS issues the EADs, and if they are giving them away at will (i haven't seen any internal response to this yet, so i'll wait), they could have problems

I'm going to CBP so it's not a major issue for me, but i wonder about my fellow Officers in CIS.

There's nothing like being criticized for protecting your country by enforcing laws set in place by those same people

Comment

• Originally posted by TPA3312 View Post
                  From what I have seen on the forums your EOD date is about 2 weeks before the FLETC date.
                  This is not quite correct. It's more like 3 days. I EOD on 5/11 with a 5/14 academy start date. It could be a couple of days longer if you EOD just before a weekend. They do "overbook" the classes, so if everyone shows up for EOD a couple of people may be asked to stay back for a week.

Comment

• Sorry, edited for double post.
                    Last edited by Bigerr19; 04-18-2009, 03:10 AM. Reason: Double post

Comment

• well i took the BPA exam earlier today at it was quite challenging. The HR guy said that since the hiring annoucement is closed we should get our results back in 7-10 days. So in the event I was fortunate enough to pass the exam and get hired I have a few questions.

It is my understanding that after field training Ill be riding by myself. So if I spot a group of smugglers and or aliens, how long does back up take to arrive? Should I wait for them or take action alone?

Also, are all agents authorized to carry a rifle like an M4 or HK UMP, or at least a shotgun? Or is it just my service weapon?

How are BPA's usually treated by the public (especially hispanics) when off duty hanging out?

I have heard of cases were BPA were attacked off duty by someone who I believe was an illegal alien. Is this common? Are BPA's authorized to carry their service weapon off duty and use it to protect themselves.

What kind of arrest authority do BPA's have? To my understanding it is general arrest authority, so they can arrest someone who commits a federal felony in their presence, whether they are on or off duty. Is this correct? What about if it is a state level felony like if an agent stumbled upon a robbery in progress or an assault taking place, would they be authorized to take LE action?

Thank you for your help as I look forward to hopefully becoming a BPA. Please only respond if you ARE a BPA and KNOW for SURE.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bigerr19 View Post
                        This is not quite correct. It's more like 3 days. I EOD on 5/11 with a 5/14 academy start date. It could be a couple of days longer if you EOD just before a weekend. They do "overbook" the classes, so if everyone shows up for EOD a couple of people may be asked to stay back for a week.
                        Thank you very much for the clarification. I was just going by what I remember seeing on the forums. I may have also gotten customs and BP mixed up. Again thank you for the correction.
                        Luck is where preparation meets opportunity. - Seneca

Comment

• Um...

Originally posted by marcvann23 View Post
                          well i took the BPA exam earlier today at it was quite challenging. The HR guy said that since the hiring annoucement is closed we should get our results back in 7-10 days. So in the event I was fortunate enough to pass the exam and get hired I have a few questions.

It is my understanding that after field training Ill be riding by myself. So if I spot a group of smugglers and or aliens, how long does back up take to arrive? Should I wait for them or take action alone?

Also, are all agents authorized to carry a rifle like an M4 or HK UMP, or at least a shotgun? Or is it just my service weapon?

How are BPA's usually treated by the public (especially hispanics) when off duty hanging out?

I have heard of cases were BPA were attacked off duty by someone who I believe was an illegal alien. Is this common? Are BPA's authorized to carry their service weapon off duty and use it to protect themselves.

What kind of arrest authority do BPA's have? To my understanding it is general arrest authority, so they can arrest someone who commits a federal felony in their presence, whether they are on or off duty. Is this correct? What about if it is a state level felony like if an agent stumbled upon a robbery in progress or an assault taking place, would they be authorized to take LE action?

Thank you for your help as I look forward to hopefully becoming a BPA. Please only respond if you ARE a BPA and KNOW for SURE.
                          I am not a BPA but I will respond. You are not going to have PAs responding to the series of questions you have posed when all of that information has been posted all over this board and honorfirst. You should spend the time to research these questions, read through the posts, browse honorfirst and CBP.gov, and then come back if you have more questions. Not to mention, if you just took your written test, you will have a long wait and should use that time to research these questions.

Good luck.

Comment

• Originally posted by marcvann23 View Post
                            well i took the BPA exam earlier today at it was quite challenging. The HR guy said that since the hiring annoucement is closed we should get our results back in 7-10 days. So in the event I was fortunate enough to pass the exam and get hired I have a few questions.
                            For more details, please do a little digging on your own. However, I'll try to answer some of your questions.

Backup can be as close as a couple of minutes or as far away as several hours. It depends on where you work. More than likely, you'll take action on your own, depending on your assessment of the situation. That's how we train you.

Yes. Longarms are available. Which ones vary from station to station, generally M4s and shotguns. A little searching in this thread will reveal a previous post of mine with more details on weapons.

How would a member of the public know you're a BPA? Sorry, rhetorical question. But, to answer your question, it varies. Some people like us, some don't. It doesn't always run along racial lines either, so don't get wrapped around the hispanic thing.

It's happened. It's not common. Yes, you are.

You're correct, however we can arrest for felonies commited outside our presence and for misdemeanors that we see occur. At the Academy, you'll learn a great deal about the authority granted to BPAs. I won't get into it in depth here. If you were to "stumble" into a robbery on duty, you would be expected to act appropriately. You'll know more about "appropriately" after you are trained. There are news articles about this, some fairly recent

I AM a BPA. I KNOW these are facts. Hope they help ya'll out a little.

Good luck and stay safe out there.
                            Last edited by Solohammer; 04-19-2009, 11:39 AM. Reason: spelling, Oops!

Comment

• Thank you for the info, Solohammer.
                              Border Patrol Timeline
                              Studied my rear off - 1/22/2009 -2/10/2009
                              Entrance exam: passed - 2/11/2009
                              Recieved T.O. - 2/11/2009
                              Oral board exam: passed - 2/17/2009
                              Sent paperwork - 2/21/2009
                              Fitness test: passed - 3/6/2009
                              Drug test: passed - 3/13/2009
                              Medical exam: passed - 3/19/2009
                              Qualifications: accepted GL5 - 4/2/2009

Comment

• Originally posted by Bigerr19 View Post
                                Bigerr, I'll be there too, what is your duty station?
                                5 weeks in TSU.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8219 users online. 252 members and 7967 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X