Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have my oral board exam next Monday. I gotta drive 3 freaking hrs the night before - that's the closest place for me. Just a couple of questions:

I was scheduled to meet at a hotel and the letter said to bring your spouse with you. Is it a problem or does it look bad if the spouse cannot attend?... Are kids allowed?

Second, My suit does not fit anymore - it was a very long time since the last time I had to wear it. Is a non-matching suit a bad idea (Black shoes, Khaki pants, white shirt, black dress coat and a matching tie)? I just cannot afford a nice suit right now.

Thanks for the tips and wish me luck! Will post later. I am excited and nervous...

BPA
    test: 04/08
    Results: Passed - 04/08
    COE Received - 05/08
    Medical/PFT: Passed 06/08
    Panel: 07/08: Passed
    BI: ?..
    CBPO
    test: 03/08
    Results: Passed - 04/08
    COE Received: 06/08
    Medical/PFT: Passed 07/08
    VBT: Passed 07/08
    BI: ???
    FBI
    Phase I: 05/08
    Results: Passed 05/08
    Language test (w/l): Passed 06/08
    Language test (o): Passed 07/08
    Panel: 10/08: ???
    PFT: 11/08: ???
    USSS
    TEA test: 08/07
    Panel: 02/08

Comment

• Hello

Jumbojack

From my experience, bringing your spouse is optional. There was only one candidate who brought his spouse and she was with us for everything except the panel itself.
      Standing by to stand by

Comment

• Originally posted by madhatter View Post
        Can anyone tell me based on what sector you are stationed in, can you live in any one of the cities within that sector?
        You can live anywhere you want. Some agents live 2 minutes from work, other commute 100 miles each way. Either way, don't be late!

Comment

• that 100 mile drive would be worth it. I lived in a city of 1200 for a year once (while in the petroleum industry) and hated every second. Thankfully now, if I decide to go BPA I've got a fiancé to make up for the lonely times.
          BPA - Pending BI
          Two local depts. - Pending BI

Comment

• Originally posted by merlin436 View Post
            No. CBPOs promote in 1 year increments roughly on their EOD anniversary.

The BP used to promote somewhat like that, back in the days of the 6 month and 10 month exams. I'm not sure how they do it today, especially as they're now hiring some NUGs at the GL-09 level.
            GL-09 "what you call NUGS" will more likely be your prior LEO in a local or state capacity, or candidates who have advanced degrees. These candidates will be the ones that get the GL-09. I’m glad the Dinosaur mentality is slowly and surely out the door.
            There are two freedoms, the false is where one is free to do what he likes, and true where one is free to do what he ought. -Charles Kingsley.

HONOR FIRST!

Comment

• Originally posted by phillystactical View Post
              GL-09 "what you call NUGS" will more likely be your prior LEO in a local or state capacity, or candidates who have advanced degrees. These candidates will be the ones that get the GL-09. I’m glad the Dinosaur mentality is slowly and surely out the door.

New, useful guys/gals...GL-09 NUG's.

Comment

• Originally posted by merlin436 View Post
                New, useful guys/gals...GL-09 NUG's.
                Old-timers, salty dogs…….. Futile
                There are two freedoms, the false is where one is free to do what he likes, and true where one is free to do what he ought. -Charles Kingsley.

HONOR FIRST!

Comment

• Passed my OB today!

Now it's really just a waiting game for my BI.

BPA
                  tested/NOR-6/07/08
                  E-qip-6/16/08
                  mailed paperwork/fingerprints-6/20/08
                  PTA-6/26/08
                  Oral Board-7/11/08-Passed
                  Last edited by GitmoVet; 07-11-2008, 02:48 PM. Reason: addendum
                  USSCP
                  Faxed App 7/28/10
                  Received notice of testing 8/28/2010
                  Test Scheduled 9/9/2010

Comment

• i just threw my name into the pool as well..

when i was applying it said the places with the greatest needs where AZ,CA of course but the oddballs was washington, mich, north dakota,vermont and i think one more northern state...

sounded like BS to me so i chose los angeles

Comment

• Originally posted by quannj View Post

sounded like BS to me so i chose los angeles
                      If that was your choice, you didn't apply to the Border Patrol.

Comment

• Passed my OB yesterday. Yes, you need to wear a suit, good thing I did. That and get a good nights sleep! I did mine fighting off fatigue and exhaustion, it was not pleasant. We only had five applicants so I got out by 11:15 (I got there at 9 AM). Now I only need to get medically cleared-my doctors have cleared me, its just a matter of theirs signing off on it, then the BI.

Hope to see everyone in Artesia soon!

Comment

• Originally posted by madhatter View Post
                          Also, any suggestions for the OB, besides attire?

Just my .02 from having done this yesterday-wear a business suit for sure, get a decent nights sleep. That is about all you can do.

Comment

• Originally posted by madchiken View Post
                            If that was your choice, you didn't apply to the Border Patrol.
                            I saw on another forum a person that was already passed the OB for CBP and still didn't realize he hadn't applied to the Border Patrol. We figured it out when he posted about the OB consisting of watching a video and responding to situations on the TV.

Makes you wonder about some of the folks if they can't even figure out what agency they applied to.
                            Last edited by Tirofijo; 07-14-2008, 10:53 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tirofijo View Post
                              I saw on another forum a person that was already passed the OB for CBP and still didn't realize he hadn't applied to the Border Patrol. We figured it out when he posted about the OB consisting of watching a video and responding to situations on the TV.

Makes you wonder about some of the folks if they can't even figure out what agency they applied to.

ok this remark has ****ed me off..i was @ the correct website and the sectors that was listed matched up correctly..

how about MAYBE customs and border protection is under the same wing and depending on where u choose sends you to border or customs... there's nothing on the site that says hey if u pick washington -other sectors you choosing customs..if u choose washington (and it names towns your picking patrol) or in my case you pick los angeles is chose customs and i needed to pick el centro to get patrol

SO HOW DO I FIX THIS PROBLEM????

DO I NEED TO CANCEL MY APP AND START OVER
                              Last edited by quannj; 07-14-2008, 12:18 PM. Reason: EDIT

Comment

• Had the OB on Saturday, as well. It was amazing that of all the people who tested (roughly 50-ish) that only 7 people were scheduled for the OB. Even worse, only 4 showed up and the 4th was late....

Just to reinterate:
                                SUIT & TIE...This is a JOB INTERVIEW aside from the panel review. You wouldn't go to an interview that starts 40k+ or any other job for that matter that you wanted and expect to get it with rags on. If one isnt available, at least make it look like you tried. If you DO have an interview...DON'T WAIT for them to find you. Take the INITIATIVE....find the room/location they are at. Ask EVERYONE. We had a fellow who followed the letter to a "T" for waiting in the lobby and they asked him just the same...."why didn't you take the Initiative and find it". He was there 1/2 hour before I was.

Just wanted to put it out there... though it's been said many times over. Also..use common sense for the review...that's it. I'm not being mean in anyway when I say this but..if you fail the review, then it may be a good thing in that you could get yourself or someone else killed for the decisions you have to make on a dime. Granted many are learned but gut instincts are hard to teach.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6992 users online. 355 members and 6637 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X