300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NM Officer Vacancy - Hiring At Age 18

For those of you between the ages of 18 and 21 who are looking to be hired as peace officers, I came across this ad last night for the town of Columbus, New Mexico. Before you ask, I know absolutely nothing about the PD.

Columbus is across the border from Palomas, Mexico. The two towns hold a place in American history. In 1916, Pancho Villa launched an attack from Palomas against Columbus. In doing so, Villa seized 100 horses and mules, burned the town, killed 14 soldiers and 10 residents, and took much ammunition and weaponry before retreating back into Mexico. President Woodrow Wilson responded by sending 10,000 troops under Brigadier General John J. Pershing into Mexico to pursue Villa (but never caught him). But, I digress. Here's the job announcement:

Employment Opportunity

The Village of Columbus is seeking qualified applicants for the positions of Full Time Police Officer.

The full time Police Officer will be employed under a Grant from the Department of Homeland Security & Emergency Management Grant Agreement, Grant Number: NM Safe Border 08-Columbus

A certified Police Officer will be paid an entry level salary of $28,600.00, annually.

An uncertified Officer will be paid $11.25 an hour.

Basic qualifications of applicants:

1. Individuals must be in good mental and physical health.

2. Individuals must have a high school or equivalent education.

3. Individuals must pass a physical examination. Uncertified applicants must meet or exceed the entry fitness standards as required by the New Mexico Department of Public Safety Training Center.

4. Individuals must pass a psychological examination.

5. Individuals must pass an oral interview.

6. Individuals must be certified law enforcement officers in the State of New Mexico or certifiable upon employment.

7. Individuals must submit to a background investigation.

8. Individuals may be required to pass a basic intelligence test.

9. Minimum age requirement is 18 years of age.

10. If employed, the successful police officer candidate must comply with the provisions of Grant: NM Safe Border 08-Columbus.

Applications must be turned in attention to Mayor Eddie S. Espinoza, at the Village of Columbus City Hall Office, 214 W. Broadway Ave., P.O. Box 350, Columbus New Mexico. Applications will be received until the positions are filled. The Village of Columbus is an equal opportunity employer.
    Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

That has got to be a misprint. Wouldnt think NM would hire an 18 y/o for a sworn officer position. Been to Columbus and couldn't tell if I was still in Mexico or not. Not some place I plan on returning to anytime soon.
    Matthew 5:9 "Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be known as the children of God."

Comment

Don't know what to tell you. I found it posted with the age 18 qualification on two different websites, including the New Mexico Municipal League job listings.
      Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Stranger things have happened!
        Matthew 5:9 "Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be known as the children of God."

Comment

The small border town of Columbus, NM is down to one man from what I hear. Two or three officers were fired recently for not passing their state certification. Recently there has been a lot of violence in Palomas, MX which has spilled into Columbus. Many people have been shot and try to drive into the US to seek help. CPB officers have had several vehicles drive up to them all shot up and the occupants usually die or get airlifted to a hospital in El Paso, TX. The local SO and State PD are beefing up security in that area.
          Last edited by ManoloQ; 03-03-2008, 07:51 PM.

Comment

Here in MI several depatments have 18 as the minimum age. Detroit PD hired me when I was 20, and there were a number of 18 and 19 year olds in the academy with me. However that was about a decade ago, now it is a lot harder (almost imposible) for someone that young to get a job. The economy is not doing so hot and most agencies get hundreds of applicants for a few openings.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5321 users online. 320 members and 5001 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X