300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Federal Police

I just a few questions for some of you guys out there, about getting into law enforcement.

At the moment I'm looking into the DoD Police. I understand that it's Dept of army/navy/af police, and I'm looking into the Dept of Air Force because I want to work at the local base (Buckley AF base) and I was curious on how to just put in an app/resume to them, with out going through sites like usajobs.gov or what have you - or even just talking with a recruiter/HR person.

But what I really want to get into is the Federal Police - I guess there are a few branches and the one I was interested in was the FPS (Federal Protective Service) - or a similar branch.

A little background of my self:
    I’ve worked for a year now as a Security Guard with Valor Security at a local mall. I’m the property’s Field Training Officer as well as a Lead Officer (Cpl.). I have completed the George Washington University anti-terrorism training “RAIN” which qualifies me in the “First Responder Awareness Level” with Homeland Security. I’ve got a year and a half of Air Force ROTC experience, but discontinued ROTC. I’m currently in college trying to get a bachelor’s degree in Information Technology (1 ½ years in). I’m going to start the “Citizen’s Police Academy” with Aurora PD as soon as the new session starts. I have no “criminal” background other then a speeding ticket I got 4 years ago.

I guess I’m wondering if this experience (after I get my degree - which would also give me another 2 or so years of S/O experience) would put me in a good qualifying for Federal Police? And if it’s completely necessary for me to switch my degree to CJ (as stated above I’m already a year and a half in my IT degree, switching now would almost be a big waste of money). Or could I dip into the DoD police for a while, and then be able to try to start a new path with the federal police w/o a CJ degree? (Federal police or the sort would be where I want to eventually end up - weather it be off the bat or after a few years of experience)

Any and all information about either job or maybe a related job (that isn’t a marshal or FBI/CIA) would be much appreciated!!

Thanks in advance

mall ninja's rock

Comment

A degree in CJ is not the end all be all in law enforcement anymore. If you wanted to get into Parole then CJ is the way to go, but you can't go wrong with an IT degree. Crime is changing and now departments will look at the whole candidate. Having the degree is what matters, major isn't as fine a point. Good luck!

Comment

FPS is still recovering from the merger. Although they started to hire now and then, they're still trying to hire back some folks that left during the budget crisis. I'm not even entirely sure FPS will remain with ICE in next several years. Just FYI.

DoD police elements are good gigs, but you are generally restricted on what you can do when compared to the rest of the "federal police". Alternatives you might want to look for are US Mint, Federal Reserve, Park Police (lots of folks seem to enjoy USPP), FBI police, VA police, and of course the USSS-UD (There're probably more but I can't remember them all).

Force Protection is the name of the game. Reactive, so to speak, as to proactive like the locals. Just making sure you know what you're getting into.

And as mentioned above, can't go wrong it an IT degree. That should be your priority.
        Last edited by Love_Ulcer; 02-14-2008, 03:16 AM.
        George: What kind of a person are you?
        Jerry: I think I'm pretty much like you, only successful.

Comment

Originally posted by Love_Ulcer View Post
          FPS is still recovering from the merger. Although they started to hire now and then, they're still trying to hire back some folks that left during the budget crisis. I'm not even entirely sure FPS will remain with ICE in next several years. Just FYI.

DoD police elements are good gigs, but you are generally restricted on what you can do when compared to the rest of the "federal police". Alternatives you might want to look for are US Mint, Federal Reserve, Park Police (lots of folks seem to enjoy USPP), FBI police, VA police, and of course the USSS-UD (There're probably more but I can't remember them all).

Force Protection is the name of the game. Reactive, so to speak, as to proactive like the locals. Just making sure you know what you're getting into.

And as mentioned above, can't go wrong it an IT degree. That should be your priority.

That's good info there ...

One thing I would like to add is remember that Police Officers under any DoD organization (Army, Navy, Air Force, and now ... Marine Corps) derive their authority from the installation commander, not by statute. For some that is fine, but for others it may prove unacceptable. The major differences from delegated authority to statutory would be that any "perks" afforded by statutory authority are lost to DoD such as off duty carry or HR218 provisions, enforcement ability beyond military personnel (ie. detain vs arrest), having to answer to civilian "security officers" (GS-0080s not 0085s) that more times than not don't have a clue about law enforcement, and finally no real sense of commonality across the board. In other words what one base does might be taboo at another and is unregulated by law or federal regulation. Specific branch regulations and base policy tend to make up your day to day operating bible.

With that said there are some real good DoD attached police departments that function as does their municipal counterparts with high levels of morale, equipment, and training ... then there are those that are the darkest law enforcement nightmare you can dream of.

A couple departments that are DoD related but seem to bridge that "no man's land" of the military stigma are the DLA Police and Pentagon Police. I hear pretty decent things from both of those agencies. But regardless of the DoD and/or sub-entity Love Ulcer pretty much nailed it on the head that unless you have some draw to the base that attracts outside visitorship or it's an enormous facility the majority of your time will be spent in a force protection/reactive posture vs. proactive enforcement.

A good foot in the door for those just entering the field.
          Last edited by The Jackal; 02-14-2008, 07:49 AM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

Hey thanks for the reply guys.

It's good news (and a relief) that I dont have to get a CJ degree and can stick with my IT degree.

About the DoD thing, I've read around a lot of posts about them and it was pretty much sumed up by The Jackal, and I'm fine with all that stuff - Being a security guard right now it's kind of the same deal -no auth off your property, only abilty to detain, acting as civilians, etc. I have no problem with them, and the DoD sounds like a good place to "start" with a LE career - if nothing else for the experience/training.

I never thought of US Mint or Federal Reserve - thanks for pointing that out...I'll have to check into it.

Does any one know who the "hiring" person is at a base for DoD police? Just so I can get in contact with my local person and see if I can at the very least put in an app?

Thanks again guys

Comment

Originally posted by AFSF07 View Post
              Does any one know who the "hiring" person is at a base for DoD police? Just so I can get in contact with my local person and see if I can at the very least put in an app?
              Go to usajobs.opm.gov and look under series "0083"

Once you find a job you are interested in, you will have to apply on line through the specific agency.....which means you will have to open and account with them, load up your resume, and answer a bunch of questions....

Once you have done all that, it's a click of the button if you are online and find another one you are interested in.....

Comment

Originally posted by AFSF07 View Post
                Hey thanks for the reply guys.

Thanks again guys
                Each facility will have it's own civilian human resources office and all job inquiries for a particular facility will go through them. Then there is always the DoN's and AF's pool applications which in my experience has been nothnig more than a complete waste of time.

My suggestion would be to contact the civilian HR office for the installations you are interested in. USAJobs is pretty good about posting current vacancies for most, if not all, DoD related vacancies. (Army seems to be the branch most active lately followed closely by Navy)

Keep in mind that most offices will not let you put a resume in without an open annoncement. If you feel an obsolute need to have an app on file then apply to the pool applications for DoN and/or AF (they can be found on USAJobs). You can identify the pool vacancy announcements by the unusually long open period of usually around a year.

**EDIT** haha, looks like Bearcat beat me to it ... so, what he said applies too.
                Last edited by The Jackal; 02-14-2008, 11:09 AM.

Comment

try the Federal Reserve. Relatively unobtrusive and straightforward hiring process. As long as you have a clean record.

Comment

Just remember to do your research into whatever agency you apply for. An overwhelming majority of the "federal police" jobs are highly security oriented and are very different from being a "local" LEO. Some "federal police" do *very* little actual LE duties or are highly restricted by agency policy from taking literally any "police" action. If you're looking for a federal police officer position that most closely mirrors being a local LEO, I would suggest the U.S. Park Police. Yes, they do have some 'security' type functions, but MUCH less than some other agencies.

And although the health benefits are generally the same across the board in the federal government, retirement benefits are not. Some "federal police" positions such as U.S. Park Police, Secret Service U/D, and the Capitol Police receive a law enforcement retirement (known as "6c"), while others with the same job title (but different agency), do not and end up getting the same retirement as a janitor or secretary.

I'm not trying to dissuade you from applying to the federal government. There are some excellent federal police agencies out there. Just make sure you are well informed. Good luck!
                    Last edited by SoCalFed; 02-16-2008, 12:16 PM.

Comment

I am bringing up this topic because I do not want to make a new topic for my question.

When I apply for DON police it comes to the part where you pick your city where you ant to work and your pay grade. When I click submit it5 says please select a paygrade, but I did select one. Its a weekend thats why I am putting the question on here instead of calling their HR

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8581 users online. 248 members and 8333 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X