300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BLM Law Enforcement Ranger

Anyone out there familiar with the BLM Rangers. I am looking for some info regarding this position such as how and when an agent moves up the gs- payscale. Is there any cola, auo, overtime, or any other added pay to the basic pay scale. If anyone out there is a Ranger please feel free to describe your position and what you like and dislike about your job.

Sincerely, JP

Is BLM Ranger on the Fed LE Retirement? Meaning 37 yo age cutoff?

Comment

I've seen a few of these guys out here in SOCAL and AZ. They all drove nice 4x4 trucks, complete with AR-15's in the cab. All the Rangers I talked too were pretty nice guys, and very proffessional.

Do they hire off USAJOBS??
      I make my living on Irish welfare.

Comment

Originally posted by reils49 View Post
        Do they hire off USAJOBS??
        Yes. I think it's a 0025 series.......

Comment

Originally posted by GB0610
          Nope, its 1801.
          Thanks for the correction.....

I went to usajobs and saw 0025 jobs open.....but wasn't sure because that just didn't look right in the annoucement.......

Comment

I just sent in my app online...does anyone know what the process is to get hired and how long it might take? Also, I live in New York. How many times would I need to go to California assuming everything is fine with my application, background etc. Thanks

Comment

thanks for the quick response! I just sent you a pm cause I have a few more questions.

Comment

what's the difference between 0025, 1801, 1811, and all of that? is one more law enforcement and one more security based? like uspp vs usss-ud? and what's 6(c) all about? thank a lot guys.

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by IAmJeff View Post
                  what's the difference between 0025, 1801, 1811, and all of that?
                  The number's you listed is what the US Gov uses classifies it's employees (it's called your series). Every series number has a meaning....

0025 is Park Ranger, 1801 is General Investigations, and 1811 is Special Agent. Not sure what the total number of series's is...but it's well over several hundered.

is one more law enforcement and one more security based? like uspp vs usss-ud?
                  Not really....as a 0025 Park Ranger could be a guide that is non-LEO in one position.....but in another position they could have LE powers and fall under the retirement system.

Same with 0083 (Uniformed Police Officer). That could/does cover USSS-UD, US Park Police, US Capital Police, FBI, all Military Civilan LEOs, and everyone else..... Some could be more security orientated while others are doing more patrol work and all that.... Once again, just depends on the agency and where the job falls....

and what's 6(c) all about?
                  6c (which is now 12d I think) is the 20 year LE Retirement System that the US Gov uses. You have to be hired by the US Gov by age 37 so that you can retire at 57. Some agencies have it.....some just got it....while others don't get it even though they do the same job.....

Comment

thanks, bearcat!

Comment

thanks, bearcat!
                      No problem.....

Comment

I put my hat in the ring for the current SoCal positions. If you want to apply be sure to do it before 02/11/08 because that is a first cutoff date for the announcement which closes on the 28th (or 29th). Those in on or before the 11th will have first consideration. The information I recieved from BLM HR is that there are approximately 15 positions to be filled with other positions coming vacant due to retirement in the near future.

Comment

does BLM have rangers on the east coast? I'd figure they do, being fed. do they get into the same things that west coast rangers? I'd love to be a ranger, but CA is a bit far for me.

Comment

does BLM have rangers on the east coast? I'd figure they do, being fed. do they get into the same things that west coast rangers? I'd love to be a ranger, but CA is a bit far for me.

Newp ... no rangers on the east coast, however BLM does have managed property on the east coast in the form of lighthouses and very small land tracts. About the only law enforcement you will get in the east coast/northeast from BLM would be a special agent from the Eastern States Office in Springfield, VA. (and this is a calculated guess based on information I obtained doing a little research).

The way I understand it, and someone correct me if I'm wrong, there are established "Public Land States". All of these states are in the west. There are no states on the east coast designated as "Public Land States", therefore no need for law enforcement. The little property that is managed by BLM would be taken care of by local Sheriff's Departments (again, another calculated guess based on research and what I know happens in the west).

Here is a listing of the major US "Public Land States" with active law enforcement missions:

Alaska
                            Arizona
                            California
                            Colorado
                            Idaho
                            Montana
                            Nevada
                            New Mexico
                            Oregon
                            Utah
                            Wyoming

Comment

Probably few if any BLM Rangers on the E. Coast

BLM land is basically the land that nobody wanted when settlers came west to homestead, etc. Lots of open spaces, mostly arid and inhospitable for farming. Someone else with better knowledge could jump in here and correct me anytime, but as far as I know, most BLM land is in Alaska, Arizona, California, Nevada, Utah, Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming.

Good luck to you in your quest. I can't count the number of BLM LE Ranger openings I've put in for in the last couple years. I have degrees, LE experience, and love working in the outdoors. I know two Rangers, and have been on a ride-a-long. I've never even been referred, much less interviewed. I guess they're not looking for my type. I've resolved to put some time in the Border Patrol first, as it seems BLM picks up BP Agents like they're going out of style.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7968 users online. 405 members and 7563 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X