300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question regarding background checks with current employer

I just completed the New York State Police Exam yesterday and I have a question in which I am hoping, many current Officers/Troopers can relate to.

Here it goes; I am currently employed by a very well known company, which has placed me in charge of a specific project that is nationwide. I work at the executive level, but to be honest, I have always wanted to be a Trooper.

Anyways, specifically in NY, how much depth do the background investigators get, when speaking to your bosses/employees? To be honest, I would love the BI's to spend days with my boss and the team I manage, I have a proven track record with many successes. My fear of course is if I was to be turned down by NYSP. Then I have to deal with a disgruntled boss, and a company which may think I am heading for the hills. So does the background investigator actually tell your employer that you are interested in a job with the State Police?

Good luck to everyone who took the exam!

Matt

When your background begins, you will sign waivers allowing your background investigator (BI) access to records regarding just about every aspect of your life. One of the waivers you sign will be addressed to your employer, explaining that you have applied for a job with NYSP and that you are granting them access to your personnel files and authorizing your company and supervisors to discuss your job performance so that NYSP can determine your suitability for the job.

If there is a risk of you being fired (some employers terminate staff who are looking for employment elsewhere) your BI may hold off on contacting your employer until the very end of the background, but in any case, your employer will find out.

If you want to get an idea as to the depth and process involved in a background investigation, check out http://www.post.ca.gov/selection/bim/bi.pdf

While it was written for California, the principles are pretty universal.
    Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Thanks

L-1, thanks for the reply and reference!

Matt

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4231 users online. 218 members and 4013 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
      Working...
      X