300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well actually any suggestions for a job for some lookin to get out of LEO

I have a family situation and need to move out of state and have more of a mon-fri kind of job. Im going to miss this job but there are family issues that I can not control due to illnesses and such. Any suggestions on what a patrol sergeant can do for a living in a regular job?

Supervise or manage a security outfit.

To where are you moving, generally speaking?
    Paid to watch 30 second ads|CopCars|Spiritual Wisdom|LotPatrol

Comment

Insurance company as a fraud agent?

Comment

I would also look at the state's department of employee relations and see if they have any sort of emergency management or investigative positions. In some places commercial vehicle inspectors work sort of normal hours and get paid okay. Some public college and/or universities police or security departments aren't too bad.

Comment

Is it that you just need a Monday through Friday job, or that you really need to get out of law enforcement?

Many states have Monday through Friday, 0800 to 1700 peace officer investigative positions. In my state, Investigators for the Department of Consumer Affairs, Department of Motor Vehicles. Department of Health, Department of Labor Standards, Secretary of State, etc., all pretty much work bankers hours. They don't pay as high as LAPD or CHP and you won't be kicking down doors, or involved in high speed chases, so there is not as much competition for the jobs. But, they pay a lot better than the private sector and come with a good benefit package and public safety retirement program.

Wherever you go, I will bet there are similar state jobs.
          Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Id love to some how stay in this job field...but i havent seen any departments that are mon-fri..I need something that would be easier on day care for my child and be able to be home at night and help with the family...because i know id have to start as the rookie on the midnight squad and work my way up again if the opportunities came up....Ill be moving to Texas AuxiTrooper....and many dept. there are hiring but the schedules is what i killing me here on this decision to have to leave law enforcement...everyone thanks for the output...very much appreciated...now i wish i had stayed in school ( towards a college degree) even when i was working on the road....atleast a class per semester....lesson learned as well.....
            Last edited by sp117; 01-02-2008, 01:19 AM.

Comment

sp117 - If you want to work in law enforcement related, all courts / probation & parole work mon-fri because the courts are closed on the weekend and have banker's hours too and my friend works at the academy now for our state (the police academy) and he is off the road , he worked the road like you and now he has banker's hours and teaches class! good luck man.

Comment

Courts are M-F with holidays off.
                School Resource Officer

Or have you tried to talk to your dept regarding a family emergency / hardship? Perhaps they can accommodate you until things get situated. I'm sure your dept doesn't want to lose a sgt.

Have you checked with your Human Resources Dept?
                This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Comment

Originally posted by Unit453 View Post
                  Insurance company as a fraud agent?
                  +1

If you're moving anywhere close to San Antonio, I'd look up USAA for a job in their SIU/Fraud department. Bonus with them if you're ex-military.

Comment

+2 on the Insurance companies. Geico, Progressive, etc. Several of our guys have moved over to those companies because they wanted to be home at night and on the weekends. Both guys seem to be happy at the new gigs after more than 5-7 years.

Good luck to you.

Comment

Courts will give you what you want. M-F 8-5 with major holiday off and very little overtime.

Lateral into an agency that handles courts in your area. Keep in mind, you may have to lateral in as a newhire and not as a Sergeant.

EDJ
                      "It's a game of cat and mouse. It's a game of hide and seek. Albeit games with deadly consequences. Like most games-the better you know the rules, the more likely you are to win."

Comment

Career Outside of LE

Sp117,

I was in the same situation about 6 years ago (except, I WANTED to leave the LE field). I moved 3 hours east and entered the DOE security arena. However, the hours were crazy but I doubled my salary, allowing my wife (former LE) to stay at home and raise our family.

Issues to consider about the constant-changing field of security:

1. Police officers are NOT security professionals. The LE experience may be a plus, but there is HUGE a difference between the two, and employers and corporations now understand this concept.

2. Unless you are lucky enough to enter into the DOE arena, all other entry level security (protective force) jobs do not pay very well. Entering the field as a supervisor or manager will be difficult. I entered as an SPOIII (SRT, after I completed training and received my security clearance), did my time in the field, and then entered supervision.

3. Corporate security related jobs require at least a B.S. degree, and some require M.S. Degrees. I used my time wisely- went back to school, used the company's tuition assistance, and flexible schedule to complete a Master's in the security field. Recently, I interviewed for a corporate security management position, and I am now waiting on numbers (salary) and the benefit package. I am in this position based on my military, law enforcement, security related (specialized-including security clearance) supervisory experience, and the fact that I have a Master's in the field.

4. Corporate security management positions require more than just law enforcement experience. There are a large number of professionals in the field with years of experience and advanced degrees.

My advice to you is to start searching the field. You can find jobs that will probably start out at your current salar; however, relocation may be required. Once you find the right position, go back to school. There are several large (state and private) universities that now offer advanced degrees in Security Management and Homeland Security. Once you have established yourself within the organization, attempt to enter entry level management/supervision. This experience will be required if you wish to enter corporate security management with another organization.

Good Luck

Comment

Sp117,

I was a detective with a local agency with 10+ yrs LE experience when I decided to take a corporate investigator/executive protection position with a Fortune 500 company. I had very little information about the private sector and was completely unprepared for the salary/benefit negotiation process. As it worked out, I ended up starting at the same compensation/benefits I had as a police officer. The initial transition was tough-it took about 6 months to find my feet-but once I did it was awesome. I have absolutely no regrets about making the change. The quality of life, compensation, training & travel have been great.

Approximately 4 yrs into my private sector career I had more than doubled my LE salary. As a director with eight years experience I’ve tripled it. I realize that I’ve been very fortunate and don't want to come across as bragging here. I just want to share with other LE professionals that there are opportunities out there where you can do well for yourself based on your training, background, & experiences. But, you have to be prepared to take some risk, do your research, stretch yourself, and overall be patient.

Here are some things I’ve recommended to LE friends who’ve desired to make a career change into corporate security prior to or after retirement:

*Determine what field interests you-security management, investigations, executive protection, physical security (design of security systems) or security operations management (company employee who oversees contact security officers & the contract negotiations /etc).

*Determine if you want to work as an employee say for a Fortune 500 company or a contract security company. (Most often internal company security departments’ compensation and benefits are better than contract security companies)

*Seek out former LE folks in your field of choice and ask them a lot of questions-what do they like/dislike about the job, what are the basic qualifications for the position, would they do it all over again, their recommendations for getting a foot in the door, etc.

*Conduct a job search and see what positions are available based on your interests & qualifications. Then, decide if you need some more training-like an interview/interrogation course or an investigator class prior to making the transition.

*Resume development-really important-you need to tailor it in a way to attract attention from a company to land an interview. No interviews-no job. The short answer is to have a resume agency or an experienced former law enforcement/security professional help you in this area-it’s time & money well spent.

*Start networking-join or attend a professional security organization meeting-such as American Society for Industrial Security-this is a great networking group for current law enforcement and security professionals-often times you’ll hear about open corporate positions that may not be advertised in newspapers or online.

For me having been a police officer is hands down my most important career accomplishment. The thing I miss the most are the people I worked with and the occasional interesting case that came along. But there is life after law enforcement and it too can be very rewarding.

I hope this helps and wish you the best Sp117!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11331 users online. 372 members and 10959 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X