300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how much does military experience help to get a police job

Hi my name is nate im 19 and i was thinking about going in to the marines as an MP. The recruter i have been talking to has told me that right after i got out i could go strait in to law enforcment with out any college or any extra training??? i was also wondering about the marines in general... any and all advice is greatly apriciated!!!!!!!!

Let me answer your question in two parts. First off any military service is an incredible way to serve your country, and build up a nice start toa resume'. Military serivce will be very beneficial to the hiring process, some departments will even give you extra points on the entrance exams for military service. Military service also builds maturity, team work, discipline and several other character attributes that police departments look for.
    However for the second part to my answer, the USMC recruiter gave you some bad information. If you serve as an Mp in any branch once you get out you will still have to complete an academy to become "certified" or "commisioned" depending on the state. I think Florida might have a program where MPs (not security force but actual MPs performing police duties) can take a proficiency test and then become certified. Other than that you will need an academy.
    I would recommend you enlist in any branch either as a reservist or National Guard (Army and Air Force) and then while serving your country part time, attend college full time, and have the military pay for your 4 year degree. But, also realize that if you enlist be prepared for a trip to the sand box. Good luck to you, and if you enlist, you have my gratitude for serving this great country.

Comment

Let me first say that all my experience in this was a long time ago (1988).

I spent 4 years in the Army 1984-1988(not as an MP) and there is no doubt in my mind that my military service is what got me hired as a police officer at a small Texas PD.

I don't know if it would have had the same effect had I applied at a larger dept, but at my dept. there were only about 35 officers and I am sure that I got hired because I was ex military.

That got my foot in the door and here I am all these years later still in law enforcement. I am no longer with that small dept but currently work with CBP (18yrs on the job).

I say, go for it. I have never regreted serving in the military. When I run into someone that has served in the military, I consider that person as having paid their dues and deserving of a little more credit than those without military experience.

It won't pave the way for your future, you still have to earn what you get, but it does help.

Good luck, Tim

Comment

To piggyback on GR217, check with the state you are interested in working. Many times the state law enforcement officer commissioning agency will be able to tell you which service's police academy would count toward the state academy. The first time I got out of the military, Michigan did not recognize my training. When I was thinking about getting out the second time they changed policies and did accept my training. By that time I was not interested, but one of my troops was looking into getting out.

Florida did accept the training, but I had to attend a 10 day compliance course and take the state exam, which was much easier than the 16 week full academy.

As my example with Michigan shows policies can change so just because the training is accepted now does not mean it will be accepted later. Also from when I applied for the waiver for Florida to when I actually attended class the changed to policy. At first the waiver was good indefinitely, but after I had obtained the waiver they changed the law so it was only good for six months.
        But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object, evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new guards for their future security.

For the intelectually challenged: If the government screws the people enough, it is the right and responsibility of the people to revolt and form a new government.

Comment

Good Info

Originally posted by GR217 View Post
          Let me answer your question in two parts. First off any military service is an incredible way to serve your country, and build up a nice start toa resume'. Military serivce will be very beneficial to the hiring process, some departments will even give you extra points on the entrance exams for military service. Military service also builds maturity, team work, discipline and several other character attributes that police departments look for.
          However for the second part to my answer, the USMC recruiter gave you some bad information. If you serve as an Mp in any branch once you get out you will still have to complete an academy to become "certified" or "commisioned" depending on the state. I think Florida might have a program where MPs (not security force but actual MPs performing police duties) can take a proficiency test and then become certified. Other than that you will need an academy.
          I would recommend you enlist in any branch either as a reservist or National Guard (Army and Air Force) and then while serving your country part time, attend college full time, and have the military pay for your 4 year degree. But, also realize that if you enlist be prepared for a trip to the sand box. Good luck to you, and if you enlist, you have my gratitude for serving this great country.

N_stieve
          GR-217 summed it up Nicely!!
          I went to College first then on to the military. I wish that I did the reserves while in college so I could start gaining years towards retirement. I was an MP in the Army for 5 years from 96-01 which wasn't bad duty. Like GR-217 stated today you will most likely do time in the desert. But if I was to go back into the service I would go into the Air force. I know not as hard core as the Marines your thinking, but Quality of Life says alot and they have it!
          Another thing the Marine recruiter falied to tell you is that you are NOT guaranteed MP as a job. What ever is available when you graduate Basic training is what you get. So guess what job's fill up fast the MP's, INTEL, all the good jobs, and the bad ones GRUNTS. No disprespect to any of them they do an outstanding job but its a hard JOB and NOBODY wants to do it!
          Hope this helps

Comment

First, dont believe everything a recruiter tells you.

Second, dont join the Marine Corps for a job. If you want a job, join another service. If you want to join the MC, do it to be a Marine, then pick an MOS that interests you. But a desire to be a Marine should be first.

Third, understand that we are at war, and that means the Marine Corps is at the front. No other way around that. If youre doing it for college money, or get some training to become a cop, good..... but join the air force. The Marine Corps is going to take alot from you, and youre not going to see a whole lot in return, or maybe you will. I can only speak for myself.

Like some of the other guys have said, the other services offer a better quality of life and most times more money, and security in being guaranteed an MOS. We <the Marines> cant do that. However, I will say this, I would not want to serve in Iraq with the army. I could tell you horror stories about that, no disrepect to the army. If you have any more questions, and want some no-bull$hit answers send me a PM. If I seem bitter or disgruntled, get used to it...welcome to the Corps!
            I make my living on Irish welfare.

Comment

I was in the same boat almost 10 years ago. I wanted to be a Marine, and be an MP. Unfortunately, there were no MP openings when I enlisted. I was a forward observer, and I really enjoyed that much more than an MP.

Like reils49 said, join the Corps to be a Marine. If that is not your priority, then you'll regret your decision. If you choose to become a Marine, then everything else falls into place. I can tell you that being a Marine is something that I will carry with me forever. Now, working with civilians, I can see the difference that it makes.

Finally, most military service will help you with law enforcement. Simply because you have more maturity, and life experience then a dirt bag college hippy. All departments that I know of require you to complete their academy, and be trained on their policies, so you would have to unlearn most of the MP field. My suggestion would be to get into a specialized field like small arms repair, or something along those lines. It would be something that most people would not have on their resume, and would easily benefit any department that you work for.
              ICE IEA

May 08 Written Test
              Feb 09 TO-Los Angeles
              March 09 Medical/PT/Drug Test
              July 09 Oral Board
              Background Started 11/16/09

EOD 11/23/09 San Bernardino
              Academy class 006 12/03/09-04/13/10

Comment

I was an Army MP from 95-04. Good experience and good training, then. Now its completely different. Any service is gonna help you out and any job you did while you were in.

You gotta remember though that in any branch, you're gonna deploy. The Army more so more frequently so and for much longer tours. Many people these days get out for that reason.

Also, the job of an MP has really been phased out for law enforcement duties. Every branch employs DoD police nationwide. DoD police have been around for a while and many installations dont use MP's at all anymore and havent for some time. Some bases are in transition from "green" to "blue" so you may get outta boot camp and find yourself in the desert within 2 months. You may find yourself spending say 5 years active duty and not once, ever, working the road. Many new recruits are envious of DoD police these days because its the job that replaced theirs. They were told one thing by their recruiter and little did they know it was totally the opposite at the installation they got assigned to.

I deployed my share and will never forget those times. I also worked the road quite a bit and it got me some solid experience on rather busy installations. I got out just as the Army was transitioning to civilian DoD police. The MP job is pretty much a thing of the past, I hate to say. Just dont count on that for any experience these days. 10 years ago, sure, but not today. Like another member above stated, we are at war and no matter your MOS or branch, you're gonna get deployed. If I could do it all over, I woulda joined the Corps. I see how much respect they have for each other and I envy them. Army will never, ever have that.

The days of MP's providing law enforcement to any installation are over with. Take a look at USA jobs. Look and see how many Marine Corps bases are hiring DoD police.

Comment

Besides my wife and kids, the Marine Corps is the best thing I have ever been a part of (but also the hardest thing). I have the greatest respect for MP's, but when I was thinking of what I wanted to do in the Marines, I was told by numerous people in civilian law enforcement that I should think twice about becoming an MP. Their reasoning was that military law enforcement is different from civilian law enforcement and civilian law enforcement agencies don't want to retrain and remove bad habits from prior MPs. MPs: please don’t beat me up with words; I’m just passing on some advice I was given. I’m not sure it’s true, but it is something to think about.

Here is my advice for what it’s worth:

1) Definitely join the military (it’s a great character builder).

2) Go to college while you’re in the military (I was able to complete my Associate’s Degree before leaving four years of active duty and I did not have to touch my GI Bill money).

3) Regardless of which military branch you choose, pick a job that is totally opposite of law enforcement that could help you get a civilian non-law enforcement job. I’m not saying there is anything wrong with law enforcement (I’m a state trooper and I love it), but there are many people who get into law enforcement and find out it is not for them or possibly get hurt. It is better to be well rounded than only have one skill set that you’re not even positive you will like. Everything you need to know to be a basic law enforcement officer will be taught to you at the academy and during the field training process. I have a BA in Criminal Justice (I got it before I took my own advice on being well rounded) and it does not help me be a much better officer than a degree in basket weaving would.
                  If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month.

- Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Will, the same thing happened to me when I enlisted. I joined 5 1/2 years ago, thought I was going to be an MP. Well Im a 6531/6199 (Aviation Ordnancemen/Aerial Gunner), and I have never looked back. And seeing some of the knucklehead MPs at the gate, and sleeping in there patrol cars, Im glad I didnt get that job.

Comment

U 453, where in NY you at?

Comment

Northern. Near Watertown, pretty much on the border.

Comment

Nice. I love that area. Im from the Hudson Valley, but Ive travelled a lot up there. You do much deer hunting?

Comment

I hate it up here....You can have it brother.

Comment

LOL. you stationed at Ft Drum?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5539 users online. 383 members and 5156 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X