300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rbakous1 View Post
    could you elaborate on that? I'm trying to understand the Feds logic with regards double dipping, what exactly is the "other" benefit/entitlement?
    The best info I can provide is that I attended FLETC on several occassions. During which time I had classmates who were recieving the G.I. Bill and others were denied. I submitted the paperwork but never followed up on it, never heard a peep. Seems as if it is a hit or miss scenerio.

The O.T. awnser I posted refers to 1811 DUSM not 082. During the regular work week never seen approved O.T. weekends only.

Comment

Originally posted by wmcgalrd View Post
      No.
      The O.T. awnser I posted refers to 1811 DUSM not 082. During the regular work week never seen approved O.T. weekends only.[/QUOTE]

Just what I thought, I could be wrong.

Comment

I have seen answers all over the place in regards to when you make 1811 and GL12. If someone knows for sure can they please explain it to me. Also once you make Journeyman GL12 do you still go up in steps as a GL12?

Thanks

Comment

You get journeyman 12, which they are now trying to change to journeyman 13, and you go up yearly on steps. After that you compete for 13 positions and higher.

Comment

Im a little confused about the pay issue. I looked up the 2008 GL pay schedule and it says that GS7-1 is $36870. I am currently a GL-7 and my base pay is 41700 something. Any insight? Im a BPA so is the BPA's GL-7 worth more than the USMS?
            Thanks,
            Will
            PS I will be staying in the same local with the USMS.
            http://www.opm.gov/oca/08tables/html/gl.asp
            Current FED LEO

ICE SA
            Summer 09 Test passed
            Sent in packet

Comment

Plus locality pay...

Comment

Originally posted by USMS08610083 View Post
                You cannot receive the GI Bill while in a federal academy. I confirmed this with the VA when I was going. It is essentially like double dipping.
                Wrong, been there done that and recieved a fat check for both FLETC and 23weeks of OJT from the VA!!

Comment

GI Bill

Yeah, your right. I talked to other guys who have been able to pull it off as it being OJT/Apprenticeship during their training and probation period. I spoke to the Buffalo office years ago and was misinformed to say the least.

Comment

is the USMS family friendly? meaning do u work 9-5 mon-fri, or u working like a mad man? i work in the bop, and see usms come and go with inmates, i can't talk to them about the job. i've worked mornings into days, weekends and holidays and seems that it will be like that until i get out of custody or the bop. also FLETC was a joke for the bop, it was like 3 weeks and EVERYONE passed. i'm by no means fit, but i go to the gym at work and work out. How's the Pt test before and at FLETC? i have a family and i don't want to leave the bop for the USMS, and be in the same boat, i know if u have to work longer days or take a trip over night here and thier. In the long run it should pay off right? i'm a 7/3, too become a 8, i have to put in my paper work, USMS u become a gs-11 in 5 yrs. thanks for any feed back...

Comment

Well, after 4 grueling years, I'm finally off to the December academy. Thanks for all of the reply and the info folks.

Dear fellow OSS applicants, don't lose hope! They haven't forgotten about us...yet.
                      Last edited by Love_Ulcer; 12-05-2008, 03:11 PM. Reason: spelling
                      George: What kind of a person are you?
                      Jerry: I think I'm pretty much like you, only successful.

Comment

Originally posted by jeepsrt8 View Post
                        is the USMS family friendly? meaning do u work 9-5 mon-fri, or u working like a mad man? i work in the bop, and see usms come and go with inmates, i can't talk to them about the job. i've worked mornings into days, weekends and holidays and seems that it will be like that until i get out of custody or the bop. also FLETC was a joke for the bop, it was like 3 weeks and EVERYONE passed. i'm by no means fit, but i go to the gym at work and work out. How's the Pt test before and at FLETC? i have a family and i don't want to leave the bop for the USMS, and be in the same boat, i know if u have to work longer days or take a trip over night here and thier. In the long run it should pay off right? i'm a 7/3, too become a 8, i have to put in my paper work, USMS u become a gs-11 in 5 yrs. thanks for any feed back...
                        The job is generaly mon-fri, some weekends for special events or assist other agencies.

Hours: Normal 8 hour shifts til 1811 kicks in then 10 hour days. Shifts very with each office but usualy day work. Some OT for non 1811 during the week when short. Some start times would be 0730 and 0900hrs.

Physical Fitness: USMS takes it seriously, its very rare to see someone get pencil whipped and it definatly won't happen at the academy. i watched guys fail who did 20 more push ups then needed but only 10 counted, because they weren't done their way.

Comment

Originally posted by timtim View Post
                          The job is generaly mon-fri, some weekends for special events or assist other agencies.

Hours: Normal 8 hour shifts til 1811 kicks in then 10 hour days. Shifts very with each office but usualy day work. Some OT for non 1811 during the week when short. Some start times would be 0730 and 0900hrs.

Physical Fitness: USMS takes it seriously, its very rare to see someone get pencil whipped and it definatly won't happen at the academy. i watched guys fail who did 20 more push ups then needed but only 10 counted, because they weren't done their way.
                          So how does someone do 20 pushups the wrong way? Going too fast? Not far enough down? Was this guy stuck on stupid? Any BP guys go through your class? Im interested to see how it stacks up because Im still nursing some pains from Artesia.
                          thanks
                          Will
                          Current FED LEO

ICE SA
                          Summer 09 Test passed
                          Sent in packet

Comment

Originally posted by WJD View Post
                            So how does someone do 20 pushups the wrong way? Going too fast? Not far enough down? Was this guy stuck on stupid? Any BP guys go through your class? Im interested to see how it stacks up because Im still nursing some pains from Artesia.
                            thanks
                            Will
                            The same instructor failed 2 people on the last aglility saying they did not touch the fist with their chest and one for an additional not going all the way up. Another instuctor failed one on sit-ups said he stopped to long on the back before coming back up.

Of course the instructors didn't fail them they failed it themselves. But of course the students gave a differnt account on the matter. I was the only BOP guy in that class. Also keep in mind it was 2002.

Comment

Fletc

timtim-

I know what instructor you must be talking about.

WJD-

All I will say is that things have changed a lot since when we got hired as just 082's. The new hires now go through CITP first and the USMS has limited interaction with them until they get to the add on.

Comment

Originally posted by USMS08610083 View Post
                                timtim-

I know what instructor you must be talking about.

WJD-

All I will say is that things have changed a lot since when we got hired as just 082's. The new hires now go through CITP first and the USMS has limited interaction with them until they get to the add on.
                                I couldn't imagine he is still there, CITP first then basic deputy interesting scenerio.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10079 users online. 369 members and 9710 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X