Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

13 jobs are competitive. They are both supervisory and inspector jobs (HQ). Getting selected depends on many factors, not just time.

Comment

All this Marshal talk almost makes me want to go back. almost... So from ealier post the Marshals are considering FCIP as a permanent way of hiring? If thats the case, how would you lateral in? I would have to take leave to attend what a 3 week course was it?

Comment

It seems that the director wants to go to this way of hiring if it works out well. Meaning that they get a good number of qualified candidates. The candidates they were looking for this time were either those with LE experience, those in FLE, and those with military experience. I didn't meet anyone without some of experience from either of the three. Doesn't mean there weren't any. He wants to do away with the open testing and hold these informational sessions to attract possible candidates. I don't don't know about lateraling in. They were interviewing current 1811's, but that was to fill lateral 1811 spots. Doesn't seem that anything has happened for those that interviewed for the lateral positions. When they bring us in we go to the Marshals Academy in GA. and CITP. We won't just do the Marshal Academy and have to later go back for CITP. After we succesfully complete 3 years we'll be converted to 1811's. Now what they hope to do is have one of these sessions a year. But depending on the people they attract, the amount of training slots they get approved for and budget given to them, they may not do it once a year. Could be every other. He also wanted to implement this new hiring initiative to cut back on the long process from the past. I applied back in '05 for the military only testing and didn't get anywhere within the process. Scored well on the test but have heard very little. With the FCIP I only have the FIT test left which should be right around the corner, should be in the next couple of weeks. And the first class is slotted for January for FCIP hires. Word is there will be 3 classes. Only a handful of people received CO's. Word is if we do well enough on the FIT test, we'll be the first class. Then from there they will start the process for those in waiting for the next class. Than after that the process will start for others in waiting. The best way to find out about the next information session is to watch the website for the message or call your local district recruiter. I started the process late April, I think may have been May. For the USMS to move that quick has been very rare. So it seems they are doing well with keeping up with what they wanted out of this hiring initiative.

Not sure what you mean by taking leave for a 3 week course. The information session is only a day long and the Academy, in total, Marshals Academy and CITP, is 18 weeks.
        Last edited by manstown; 11-04-2007, 05:15 PM.

Comment

Thanks for that info, all threading I thought that session was 3 weeks long.

Comment

Originally posted by USMS08610083 View Post
            13 jobs are competitive. They are both supervisory and inspector jobs (HQ). Getting selected depends on many factors, not just time.
            This is probably a stupid question but I just wanted to make sure. After receiving the 25% LEAP when entering GS-11, that stays with you until retirement correct? Like when you go to GS-12 or possibly get promoted to supervisory GS-13 and above, you still get the 25% increase, correct?

Comment

Yes. And it figures in to your retirement as well.

Comment

On average how much OT is available for US Marshals, specifically your first couple years?

Comment

Also, when US Marshals are hired at GS-5, do they use the LEO pay scale or the just the general schedule scale?

LEO --> http://www.opm.gov/oca/07tables/indexLEO.asp
                  Regular--> http://www.opm.gov/oca/07tables/indexGS.asp

Comment

Does anyone know if you can get the GI Bill while in the DUSM Academy? I know I cleared $950 a month while in the Highway Patrol academy. Now they have an " Apprenticeship Program" where you can continue to draw from your GI Bill after you graduate and start work. You can draw from it until it is maxed out. I was wondering if anyone knows if you can get that or not?
                    Last edited by HEMITRP; 11-06-2007, 07:45 PM. Reason: Ommited information

Comment

Originally posted by HEMITRP View Post
                      Does anyone know if you can get the GI Bill while in the DUSM Academy? I know I cleared $950 a month while in the Highway Patrol academy. Now they have an " Apprenticeship Program" where you can continue to draw from your GI Bill after you graduate and start work. You can draw from it until it is maxed out. I was wondering if anyone knows if you can get that or not?
                      You cannot receive the GI Bill while in a federal academy. I confirmed this with the VA when I was going. It is essentially like double dipping.

The answer to the other questions are, OT varies by district and yes, it is off the LE scale being that it is a law enforcement (6c covered) job. I am wondering why you are so stuck on the pay issues? Are you currently processing for the job? If not, I would take one step at a time and get my foot in the door first.

Comment

You cannot receive the GI Bill while in a federal academy. I confirmed this with the VA when I was going. It is essentially like double dipping.
                        But you can if you are going to a civilan academy....BTDT....so that just sucks for you guys.....

Freaking VA......

Comment

Can you still make OT even when you received the 25% LEAP?

Comment

Originally posted by DEPO View Post

No.

Comment

Originally posted by DEPO View Post
                              Unless the rules have changed since I worked with the Marshals, yes you can. It had to be scheduled and would normaly be approved for weekend details. If the rules have changed then possibly no. Last time I was in the system was 2004.

Comment

could you elaborate on that? I'm trying to understand the Feds logic with regards double dipping, what exactly is the "other" benefit/entitlement?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12233 users online. 420 members and 11813 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X