300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deputy U.S. Marshal (GS-5) Questions

I saw that Deputies are hired at this level. Do the US Marshals require 2 years of the Federal Career Intern Program like Customs does? I know their not "special agents", so do U.S. Marshals ever receive the 25% pay increase for LE/Special Agent availability? How long does it usually take to get to the highest non promotion step (I believe its GS-11 but I migt be wrong) from GS-5? If anyone has any of this info regarding the U.S. Marshals it would be appreciated. Thanks.

I am in the FCIP applicant process and have gotten through everything except the FIT test. You are not required to do 2 year of FCIP unless you get hired under that program. Deputy Marshals are just that, they are not special agents. After 3 years they are available for the LEAP pay you asked about. I am not sure about getting to GS-11, maybe some of the feds on here can correct me, but I think you go from 5 to 7 to 9 to 11 as each year passes, but again I could stand to be corrected. If you haven't applied yet to the USMS and you think its what you want to do, search this site and educate yourself on the process, the job, the training etc. FCIP was only open for a short time and I don't think they took a whole lot of applications, but the ones they did take have been processed very quickly. Hope this helps.

Comment

Well heres the quikie version. GS-5 3 years general experience 1yr as a 5 then 1yr 7 then 3yrs. as a 9 then you get your 11. All DUSM are now hired as 1811 series the 082 was under the old director theres a new one now and he fixed that problem. The academy is now 17 weeks long (from 10 weeks) and its no joke, just try and find out when a whole class graduted with the amount of students they started with.

The problem for those who want to be a DUSM the Marshals did a mass hire putting a whole lot of o82's on the street from 2001 to 2003-04 . What does this mean well they get funding for small amounts of hires now. They are still trying to convert 083's to 1811's its backed up as you can imagine. My advice put in for an 1802 (deo) hope u get it and wait for merit promotion announcement as long as you are mobile and a descent employee you will be fine.

Comment

So let me get this straight. After 1 year of working as a GS-5, you reach GS-7. After 1 year as a GS-7, you make GS-9. After working as a GS-9 for 3 years, you reach GS-11. So it seems like it takes 5 years to reach GS-11, correct? Also, at what level do you receive the 25% LEAP, after 3 years or is it given when you reach grade 11?

Comment

Originally posted by DEPO View Post
          So let me get this straight. After 1 year of working as a GS-5, you reach GS-7. After 1 year as a GS-7, you make GS-9. After working as a GS-9 for 3 years, you reach GS-11. So it seems like it takes 5 years to reach GS-11, correct? Also, at what level do you receive the 25% LEAP, after 3 years or is it given when you reach grade 11?
          According to one site, all DUSM's, even at the GS-5 level, receive the LEAP as of January 2007 after training is completed.

Comment

After the completion of your 5th year u get your 11grade if u come in as a 5. u can also start as a 7 which means u get your 11 after ur 4th year. As mentioned all DUSM are 1811's for pay now.

I left the Marshals before FCIP so I know little about that. The job itself is what it is but you do feel alright about it. There is little turn over but not everyone does stay.

USMS has been fighting for automatic GS-13 for years now like other agencies. They meet with a lot of resistance on the subject. There is not much actual CI work persay. The majority Deputies handle court and transport some are full time warrents, protection, threat management and witsec. The wierd part is durring my 3 years I seen DUSMs' with 2 years in working warrents on a full time basis while others with 15 years in were working courts and transport. It all depends on you, friends make a big diffrence this is no differnt then any other job some are taken care of while others just flow through the system til retirement.
            Last edited by timtim; 10-30-2007, 07:26 PM.

Comment

How do the steps at each grade work?

Comment

If I recall right 5 step 1 then 7/2 then 9/3 then 9/4 after 2 years then 9/5 then 11 whatever step.

Comment

I'll say this. They aren't bringing everyone in as an 1811 now. They are bringing lateral 1811's in and now the new hirining initiative, FCIP, you will come in as an 082 and convert to an 1811 after 3 years or until they deem to convert you. When you go to the academy under FCIP you will go through CITP and the Marshals specific Program which was said to be 18 weeks, but now that FLETC has gone to 6 days a week, it will be shorter. As for LEAP, you won't get that until the conversion to 1811. As an 082 you will get a base salary, locality pay, and any available OT. After the conversion you will get the salary, locality and LEAP.

The Director implemented the FCIP to cut back on the lengthy process. If it works the way they plan it to, this will be the new hiring initiative. As for now they have done away with the tests because of the FCIP. If you want to read more on it, the website explains it. I am in the last phase of the FCIP, only have the FIT test left.

Right now hiring under FCIP is done only when needed. The way it was explained to us was that once a year they may hold one depending on the list the build from the previous. If they have a big enough list that they want to keep people, they may not have one for the year. The best way to find out about the hiring is by watching the site or contacting the recruiter in your Ditstrict.

Comment

Originally posted by timtim View Post
                    If I recall right 5 step 1 then 7/2 then 9/3 then 9/4 after 2 years then 9/5 then 11 whatever step.

11 six?

Comment

One other thing to add to what Manstown said, right now with FCIP they are hiring for specific locations. Alot of places with high turnover are drawing from FCIP. Washington DC, Los Angeles, South Florida, New York and a few others. Wherever you apply is where you will return if hired. There seems to be alot of unknown factors that include the length of the academy, what differences this academy will have as opposed to the traditional academy's, when they will start, and how many they will have this year. I started my process with Manstown and we have completed everything with the exception of the FIT test, and that is expected to come in the next month or so. I highly recommend keeping an eye out for another FCIP announcement as this process seems to move much quicker than the traditional ones.

Comment

What are the pros/cons of the FCIP?

Comment

Originally posted by DEPO View Post
                          What are the pros/cons of the FCIP?
                          Take a look at the website. Probably the best being the quickness of it compared to the past. Also the conversion to 1811 compared to how it used to be done where, 082's use to have to compete for 1811 positions. Now you are automatically converted instead of competing for it.

Comment

Dusm

You come on as a 082 GL 5/7 step 1 usually. Now it goes 5/1; 7/1; 9/1 then 1811 w/ LEAP 11/1; 11/2; 11/3 and Journeyman 12.

Comment

This is right off the US Marshal site:

Those appointed at the GS-5 grade level are eligible for promotion to GS-7 after 1 year.
                              Those appointed at the GS-7 grade level are eligible for promotion to GS-9 after 1 year.
                              Career ladder is to the GS-11 grade level; there is a 3 year certification process before promotion from GS-9 to GS-11 grade level.

Lets say your appointed at GS-5, is it GS-5 step 1, then after 1 year its GS-7 step 2, then after your 2nd year its GS-9 step 3, then after your 3rd year GS 9 step 4, after 4th year GS 9 step 5, then after your 5th year you make GS 11 at step 6?

When do you receive LEAP, after your 5th year when you make GS 11?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8672 users online. 286 members and 8386 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X