300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FBI Police are hiring....

If anyone is interested, the FBI Police are hiring. We don't post on USAJOBS that often, but are running hiring initiatives about once every two months.

We fluctuate between only hiring local applicants and hiring nationwide. Apparently it became to much of a strain to process people at other field offices around the country so they started limiting it to applicants in the local commuting area. Not sure if this changed but I will find out and post it here on Monday (10/1).

Minimum requirements are 21, general work experience of 2 yrs (no specialized experience needed), must be able to obtain a Top Secret clearance. You do not need a 4yr degree.

The hiring process is not competitive based. You are not competing against other applicants. All stages are pass/fail. If you pass everything you will be hired shortly after (assuming the budget remains intact as it has been for over a year now).

Hiring process can be as quick as 3.5 to 4 months (assuming you dont have BI or med issues). I was hired in 4 months.

Written/video exam and oral board are all on the same day. If you pass you go home with a conditional offer of employment (COE).

Next is background (Top Secret Clearance), drug, polygraph, medical. The FBI's drug policy was recently loosened to a more reasonable standard.

There is no fitness test currently. There is a height/weight standard you must be in compliance with.

Starting pay with no experience is about $41k. With LE experience $48k.

Overtime is plentiful, and will remain that way for quite a while. I can get as much or little as I want normally. This pay period I have 70 hrs of OT! I usually average 25-40 per pay period. Many officers are making $100k+. With so many days off it is easy to pick up an extra 20+ hours per pay period and still have plenty of days off.

No 20 yr retirement (yet). We are on the regular 30 yr FERS retirement.

Off duty carry (agency weapon only) is permitted.

12 hr shifts with a lot of days off (work 16 days a month with permanent set days off)

Mostly security based work but depending on your shift you can get some arrests if you are proactive. I get my share of arrests from being at the right/ (or wrong) place at the right time on night shift. We have an agreement with MPD (MOU) which allows DC code enforcement in the local surrounding area.

Note: This position will not lead to a special agent job! If SA is your goal then this position will not help your qualifications.

If you have more questions post them here and I will answer so others can benefit from the information. If you want to take the test PM me.
    sigpic Bet they got a ticket for obstructing the rear window. God Bless America!

Originally posted by ujocka View Post

12 hr shifts with a lot of days off (work 16 days a month with permanent set days off)
    Only agency weapon?
    Man, I'd love a schedule like that!!
    Dispatch, we have a 9-11, Armed Robbery in progress. Seay's Surplus Store, corner People's Drive and 124th Street.

Comment

Yeah, only agency weapon (huge Glock 22). While we can technically carry another weapon under HR218, we would be administratively screwed by the agency if it is discovered.

There are several discrepencies in the policies between the SA's and the officers. Most are in place for no other reason than to ensure that they remain elitists and the chosen few. We as officers have the exact same weapons qual course as the agents, and our flying while armed training far exceeds theirs, but we can only fly armed when on official duty. That is an entirely seperate thread though.
      sigpic Bet they got a ticket for obstructing the rear window. God Bless America!

Comment

Man, I couldn't deal if we had to carry our duty weapon off duty (Beretta 92d )!! I flew armed to Orlando a few times, it was quite nice (carried my Glock though). Shame they don't let you qualify on another weapon for off duty carry. Just went to the FBI's site to check out some info. Man, they really did relax the drug policy!!

Are the 12 hour shifts permanent? Rotate between day and night?
        Dispatch, we have a 9-11, Armed Robbery in progress. Seay's Surplus Store, corner People's Drive and 124th Street.

Comment

The shifts are permanent. If you are on days, you stay on days unless you request something else.

We run 4 shifts, A-days, A-nights, B-days, B-nights. There is no difference in the two, other than the work days on A being the off days of B. Shifts run 0600-1800 & 1800-0600. Every other weekend is a three day weekend (friday/sat/sun). Everyone here loves the shift, and it gives ample opportunity to rack in some OT if you choose. The schedule has 4 hrs of OT built in it already.

Comment

Man that schedule sounds great! thanks for the info

Comment

If anyone is interested, the FBI Police are hiring. We don't post on USAJOBS that often, but are running hiring initiatives about once every two months.

We fluctuate between only hiring local applicants and hiring nationwide. Apparently it became to much of a strain to process people at other field offices around the country so they started limiting it to applicants in the local commuting area. Not sure if this changed but I will find out and post it here on Monday (10/1).

Minimum requirements are 21, general work experience of 2 yrs (no specialized experience needed), must be able to obtain a Top Secret clearance. You do not need a 4yr degree.

The hiring process is not competitive based. You are not competing against other applicants. All stages are pass/fail. If you pass everything you will be hired shortly after (assuming the budget remains intact as it has been for over a year now).

Hiring process can be as quick as 3.5 to 4 months (assuming you dont have BI or med issues). I was hired in 4 months.

Written/video exam and oral board are all on the same day. If you pass you go home with a conditional offer of employment (COE).

Next is background (Top Secret Clearance), drug, polygraph, medical. The FBI's drug policy was recently loosened to a more reasonable standard.

There is no fitness test currently. There is a height/weight standard you must be in compliance with.

Starting pay with no experience is about $41k. With LE experience $48k.

Overtime is plentiful, and will remain that way for quite a while. I can get as much or little as I want normally. This pay period I have 70 hrs of OT! I usually average 25-40 per pay period. Many officers are making $100k+. With so many days off it is easy to pick up an extra 20+ hours per pay period and still have plenty of days off.

No 20 yr retirement (yet). We are on the regular 30 yr FERS retirement.

Mostly security based work but depending on your shift you can get some arrests if you are proactive. I get my share of arrests from being at the right/ (or wrong) place at the right time on night shift. We have an agreement with MPD (MOU) which allows DC code enforcement in the local surrounding area.

Note: This position will not lead to a special agent job! If SA is your goal then this position will not help your qualifications.

If you have more questions post them here and I will answer so others can benefit from the information. If you want to take the test PM me.
              Everything Ujocka said is pretty much on point.I just came back from the testing over the weekend.The shifts do sound appealing.The test isnt that difficult unless you make it difficult.I was impressed how smooth and efficient it went that day.If you pass everything you get a COE like Ujocka mentioned.If you have any questions PM me.

Comment

Ujocka, were you at the test site over the weekend? and since you got hired so quickly, how often do they send the new hires to the academy?

Comment

I usually work the hiring initiative but the one on Saturday fell on my regular workday, so I didn't.

Once you are hired it depends on when they have an available slot at FLETC. We have been bringing on newhires to do clerical stuff and help with logistics while they await FLETC. You will get your regular paycheck while you wait. The wait time varies (from no wait to a few months wait).

Comment

This was a question I received via PM but felt it belonged here instead.....

Quote:
                    Do FBI Police officers work in other major cities, or just DC?

We have officers assigned to DC (both FBI HQ and the Field Office), Quantico, VA, CJIS in West Virginia, and NYC Field Office. Most newhires will get DC, some may get Quantico, 1 or 2 might get NYC, none will get CJIS (there is a waiting list to go there because the cost of living is so low).

Please post all questions about the job here instead of in a PM, so others can benefits from the information.

Comment

There are several discrepencies in the policies between the SA's and the officers. Most are in place for no other reason than to ensure that they remain elitists and the chosen few.
                      Oh yeah, that's the reason in policy differences, nothing more than elitism. Get real. You're doing vastly different jobs, which mean vastly different policies. You may not like them all, but please don't pretend they exist merely because of an elitist attitude.

Comment

Ok, ok...I digress...I did come off a little standoffish. Most of the agents I know and work around are very professional, and all around great people. With that said...

There are some major ego trips here. The explanation we were given by upper management (SSA's) as to why we cannot carry personally owned weapons was that the burden on the Bureau to maintain those weapons was too great. We have 200 officers, of which only about 30% choose to carry off duty anyway. The Bureau maintains over 13,000 personally owned agent weapons.

When it comes to flying armed, our training is far superior (hands on in the fuselage of an aircraft) to the death by powerpoint production the agents receive, yet we are prohibited from flying armed except on official business. Agents fly under leisure and official business. If we choose to drive we are fine nationwide though. Agents are authorized to check their weapons in their checked baggage. Not us...hmmm. Pretty ironic that all of these policies were put in place by SSA's that oversee the FBI Police.

Maybe it isn't obvious to you there is a segregation issue within the FBI between the SA position and every other position (labeled support). I suspect that you arent able to recognize it because you arent on the receiving end (labeled support).
                        Last edited by ujocka; 09-30-2007, 08:16 PM. Reason: added info

Comment

Where would I find the announcement for this position and directions on how to apply?

Comment

There is no posting on any website...PM me for the contact info

Comment

The explanation we were given by upper management (SSA's) as to why we cannot carry personally owned weapons was that the burden on the Bureau to maintain those weapons was too great. We have 200 officers, of which only about 30% choose to carry off duty anyway. The Bureau maintains over 13,000 personally owned agent weapons.
                              Well according to my friends who are agents they keep cutting down the list of approved weapons for agents, mostly because of the costs associated with maintaining those weapons. However, agents have operational needs for carrying other weapons which I won't go into here.
                              When it comes to flying armed, our training is far superior (hands on in the fuselage of an aircraft) to the death by powerpoint production the agents receive, yet we are prohibited from flying armed except on official business.
                              Oh please, that one class at FLETC during MPBOT is not a bunch of highspeed training. You're not a flipping FAM. However, I'm not going to discuss the topic any further, the training, procedures, and tactics of flying armed are not appropriate for the internet.
                              Agents fly under leisure and official business.
                              While rare agents have operational duties that may require them to terminate their leave and respond to situations immediately without returning to their domicile. These aren't things that are typically required of the FBI Police. Again, don't expect me to get into specifics on the internet.
                              Maybe it isn't obvious to you there is a segregation issue within the FBI between the SA position and every other position (labeled support).
                              Hmm, maybe it's not about elitism or segregation, but rather different duties which require different policies.
                              I suspect that you arent able to recognize it because you arent on the receiving end (labeled support).
                              Well I don't work for the FBI, however I do work with them enough to know that the duties of FBI SAs and a FBI Police Officers are vastly different. Agencies set policies to meet the needs of the agency, and limit liability of the agency. With varying duties, there are varying needs. Ergo, agents and FBI Police will end up with different policies regarding firearms, among many other things. However, I suspect you aren't able/willing to recognize that reality because you're too concerned about your own wants v. the agency's needs including limiting liability.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9681 users online. 372 members and 9309 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X