300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Life of a USSS Agent

Hi, I was wondering about specifics about how being a USSS Agent affects the life of an agent and the family. I'm not looking for generalizations like I would miss birthdays and holidays with family. I'm looking for more specific examples that individuals would like to share. For example, how difficult was the first move to the west or east coast and adapting? How often do you see your family after training os completed? Other than traveling on a sporadic basis is your family life normal? How often are agents away per period at a time excluding election year because I know that is extremely crazy? I know much of this can be answered through the local field office and the during the home interview, but so far I've only read and heard about is stuff found on the website and what agents have told me briefly. Any life experience situations and examples would be greatly apprecieated. Thanks.

You will likely get a bunch of comments from people who have never actually done the job of a USSS Special Agent. Instead I'd suggest trying to get in touch with a real live USSS SA and ask these questions directly. When I spoke with an agent who handled recruiting when I was thinking about applying, and she was very open about discussing the demands of the job, and the impact on family. I have found that most agencies are very interested in having applicants know what the burdens will be before the person actually takes the job.

Comment

I'm a former USSS agent. The reason I left? I missed too many family events. Is the job itself a good one? Yes! But many agents with families have hardships because of frequent and sometimes extended absences, especially during campaign years.
      They Don’t Think It Be Like It Is, But It Do.

Comment

This may have been covered in a previous thread, but does the pay differ based on the location for a FLE agent since there is a set pay scale, especially coming from a state with a low cost of living to a much higher cost of living.

Comment

Originally posted by pearljamknicks View Post
          This may have been covered in a previous thread, but does the pay differ based on the location for a FLE agent since there is a set pay scale, especially coming from a state with a low cost of living to a much higher cost of living.
          All federal employees get a Cost of Living Allowance (COLA) based on where they live.......

Comment

How do agents find affordable housing for their first move especially in the west and east coast? Are there any special rates for agents moving into specific cluster areas? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by pearljamknicks View Post
              How do agents find affordable housing for their first move especially in the west and east coast? Are there any special rates for agents moving into specific cluster areas? Any information would be greatly appreciated.
              There are no special rates for housing....unless you can find an apt complex that offers LEO discounted rates.....though, some agencies frown on that..... You get the COLA and that's it..... As stated, all Federal employees get COLAs......

As for moving...most agencies make you pay for your first move....so it's on you....after that, they will pay if you get transfered......

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8713 users online. 454 members and 8259 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X