300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Security Clearences? How much is it worth

I have a Top secret clearence SSBI from working at the Camp David Presidential Retreat. It took about 9 months to get and I have always been told that it is worth so much in the civilian world. I think it is good for 5 years form the time you receive it but am not forsure. My question is how do I prove I have one. I have papers from the Navy saying what I have but how do I show a employer it? I have heard their is a webite that you can type in your name and it will say what kind of clearence the person has. My second question is what jobs out their will value this? It seems like every employer does their own backgtound investigation , so is my TSC that helpful or not? Any advice or repsonses would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Originally posted by navy80 View Post
    My question is how do I prove I have one. I have papers from the Navy saying what I have but how do I show a employer it?
    Website......all they need is your SSN and they can pull it up..... You can't (as far as I know)....the only folks that can are the folks in the Personnel Security positions for companies or agencies needing the info.....

I have heard their is a webite that you can type in your name and it will say what kind of clearence the person has.
    See above....

My second question is what jobs out their will value this? It seems like every employer does their own backgtound investigation , so is my TSC that helpful or not?
    Right off the bat.....not sure what you do for the military....but you could get a job with a civilian contracting company and make decent/good cash based on already having clearance....and they won't have to pay for it and/or wait around for you to get it....

We contract some (ok a lot) of work out....and my section just hired two contractors to work as clerks and they are being paid almost 30 bucks an hour to do clerical work for us because they already TS.....and could start right away after a quick reference check......and reactivating their clearance.....

Comment

You could work for Blackwater USA or any private security company like that with that type of clearence.
      "Why you harassing me?"

Comment

The only thing that a Top Secret Clearance means to another employer, whether civilian or govt is that your background has been thoroughly checked before. Having a clearance (may) help to streamline processing for any new clearances. Since a clearance is issued by an agency, it can only be used with that agency. I have held (past tense) 3 secret clearances with three different agencies, and now hold a TS. Each time you leave an agency the clearance goes away. Some civilian employers will hire you based on the fact you hold (or held) a clearance, as it symbolizes to them that you have had a thorough background check and no major issues were found.
        sigpic Bet they got a ticket for obstructing the rear window. God Bless America!

Comment

Originally posted by ujocka View Post
          Since a clearance is issued by an agency, it can only be used with that agency.
          Not necessarily..... The gaining agency can opt to continue it....and do the update to make the security folks happy....

We just hired 2 contractors and they TS/SCI's through military....DHS PerSec folks updated them....and they were badged and working for us in about 2-3 weeks after our contractor hired them.....

I do know that some agencies (like your current one) will do a complete re-investigation no matter what your clearance level is.....

Comment

Originally posted by John2008 View Post
            You could work for Blackwater USA or any private security company like that with that type of clearence.
            Better yet, stay State-Side (and not get shot at or mortars dropped in on your AO) and work for Lockheed Martin, Boeing, L3, or any of about 1000 contractors and make some decent cash in the DC area while you are trying to figure out what you want to do.....

About once every 2-3 months they have job fairs out here in the DC/NVA area that is just for folks with clearances...... Anything from doing clearical work, security, programing, engineering, communications, etc......

Comment

My co-worker who worked at Camp David wiht me now works for Lockheed martin as a secruity guard making around 50,000,but thats in Gaithersburg.

Thanks for the responses

Comment

I have a Top secret clearence SSBI from working at the Camp David Presidential Retreat. It took about 9 months to get and I have always been told that it is worth so much in the civilian world. I think it is good for 5 years form the time you receive it but am not forsure. My question is how do I prove I have one. I have papers from the Navy saying what I have but how do I show a employer it? I have heard their is a webite that you can type in your name and it will say what kind of clearence the person has. My second question is what jobs out their will value this? It seems like every employer does their own backgtound investigation , so is my TSC that helpful or not? Any advice or repsonses would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
                Are you currently employed by a federal agency (to include the military) in a job that requires access to or a contractor that works with the federal government and requires access to classified material? If the answer is no, then you do not "have a clearance" as it would have been suspended/terminated when left your previous position that required a clearance.

2nd, clearances investigated and adjudicated by one government agency are rarely "transferrable" to other agencies, because the standards for investigation and adjudication vary between agencies. I know wha the concept of an SSBI is supposed be, but it is the minimum requirement to get a TS/SCI clearance, however agencies are free to require additional investigative steps, and may have additional adjudication requirements. For example if you have a current TS/SCI clearance from DoD, and want to get a job with a DOJ agency, those agencies will do a completely new investigation and adjudication to grant you a clearance, even you had a very recent background investigation.

Where clearances MIGHT be beneficial is when someone leaves a job to go to a contractor that deals with their previous agency. For example a military person with a TS clearances going to work for a defense contractor.

Comment

Originally posted by SA13 View Post
                  2nd, clearances investigated and adjudicated by one government agency are rarely "transferrable" to other agencies, because the standards for investigation and adjudication vary between agencies.
                  DHS (at least some elements) transfers them.......after doing a quick check and a few other things.... Our Contractor for general services (I guess that is a good phrase) just hired two folks to do clerical work for us.....and they had TS/SCIs when they left the AF.....and they were hired about 3-4 months after ETS.....

I also know the other 3-4 contracting companies we have working here do the same thing (hire folks with clearances) and will get us to transfer them over.....

One would suspect if we wouldn't be wasting money on Screener Uniforms and badges.....perhaps we could afford to our own.......

Comment

My co-worker who worked at Camp David wiht me now works for Lockheed martin as a secruity guard making around 50,000,but thats in Gaithersburg.

Thanks for the responses
                    If your still in the DC area...not sure what you do with the Navy....but you should be able to score a job around here doing something.....everyone seems to hiring in that range....if not hiring depending on what job you got....

If you go back to MS/IN (as listed in your profile) you won't get paid that well....as Cost of Living there isn't like it is here in Wackville.....

Comment

I had enough of the D.C. area, to much traffic, and cost of living, although I had a great two years their. I reside is Mississippi now, with the Navy Seabees. My overall goal is to work for DHS, but for right now I'm concentrating on being a police officer to get the valuable experience that almost every employer wants.
                      Thanks for the replies

Comment

I you live on the Gulf Coast, there are few employers working with the DOD. Most are in Pascagoula or Stennis. There are a couple in Biloxi and Gulfport but your best chances for staying in the same department is in one of the outlying areas. If you're looking to move to LE there are a lot more options in the Gulfport and Biloxi areas. Unfortunately the LE positions require a new BI, it doesn't matter what you currently hold.
                        But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object, evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new guards for their future security.

For the intelectually challenged: If the government screws the people enough, it is the right and responsibility of the people to revolt and form a new government.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9111 users online. 340 members and 8771 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X