Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In the meantime...

Hello all...

I wanted to gather some opinions from you all pertaining to positions that I could be seeking in the meantime while I await my FLETC departure. I withdrew from Graduate school and relocated back home planning to leave a month later for FLETC, but my class date has now been pushed back. I have at least three months here before the new proposed class date, so I am interested in doing some sort of volunteering, shadowing, intern/support position, etc so that I may continue to better myself and gain further LE knowledge and training before I leave. I am open to hearing any and all suggestions/ideas as they are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I'd consider reading some constitutional law and focus on amendments that affect law enforcement, keep up your running but don't get too aggressive and get hurt, plenty of push-ups, do some sit-ups, stretch your lower back and that should help you some.

Comment

Originally posted by ICE2DSS View Post
      I'd consider reading some constitutional law and focus on amendments that affect law enforcement, keep up your running but don't get too aggressive and get hurt, plenty of push-ups, do some sit-ups, stretch your lower back and that should help you some.
      Ice2DSS, do you think I am crazy that I am about to start a season playing semi competitive soccer? I agree with your comment regarding not getting hurt..... Maybe it's not worth it..... lol.

JH00 congrats on the Fletc future departure. I have no experience in LE but I assume that ICE2DSS is right when saying to keep fit. It's best to go to FLETC prepared. I don't have much shooting experience so I myself was thinking about enrolling in a basic pistol course. I figure it can't hurt...
      Last edited by redsox505; 09-07-2007, 03:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by redsox505 View Post

I don't have much shooting experience so I myself was thinking about enrolling in a basic pistol course. I figure it can't hurt...
        Sounds good as long as your instructor is perhaps was or is in LE so that you learn proper technique. Nothing worse than having to "unlearn" bad habits.

Comment

[QUOTE=redsox505;963174]Ice2DSS, do you think I am crazy that I am about to start a season playing semi competitive soccer?

I actually thought you were crazy when I saw you were a Red Sox fan...the soccer just confirmed it..J/K! Just be careful because it would suck to come so far only to fracture a bone or tear a ligament.

I'd also think twice before getting shooting lessons. They are going to teach you how to shoot their way. It's easier to start from a clean slate than erase bad habits and learn a new method. I didn't have much shooting experience when I came aboard but now I consistently 96%+ for qualifications. Just keep yourself healthy, conditioned and if you get bored read a little law related to federal law enforcement.

Comment

Thanks for the info guys, it is very much appreciated. I am still conditioning regularly and will continue to do so. Onc can never be too in-shape.

On the subject of educational preparation; can you all suggest any texts that I could look into purchasing that are relative to those we will use at FLETC, or at lest applicable to Federal and Constitutional law?

Last but not least, I was kind of looking for more info along the lines of volunteer opportunities and intern/support positions. I have called local departments and many feel there is not enough time between now and when I will be leaving to invest the resources required to do a quick background. This I completely understand, but I do not want to give up quite yet. I do not have long before the proposed class date, however any work/volunteering relative to LE can only bolster my resume and know-how. Basically, anything that will better me as a person and as a FLEO is fair game. I have come to the "forum of knowledge" seeking that which has yet to come to mind!

Thanks again guys/gals!

Comment

It's good to see you're excited before the acedemy and make sure you keep that excitement. I think at this point there's not a lot you can do to prepare beyong what was discussed. Any kind of internship/volunteer program in FLE would require a background investigation. You can do a ride along with a local PD but I don't know how much that's really going to help beyond making you some connections if you get stationed in that same area. Also, there can be a difference between the way you are taught things in the academy versus how it's done in the field. Some times it's good to enter an academy with a clean slate. You NEVER want to be that guy who says to their instructor..."well I was taught by some one else a different way". I'm sure you're intelligent, or you wouldn't make it this far, so you'll do fine with learning what you need at FLETC. Again, I know you're excited but make sure you are smart with your training...don't get hurt! I have a friend who was ready to depart on his dream job and tore a bicep just before he was scheduled to leave...game over for him.

I don't have any particular books in mind but you can probably play around on amazon.com or another site. You can read up on the 1st, 4th, 5th, 6th, 8th and 14th Amendments. Maybe look up a book or article on Probable Cause or Title III. Or you can just enjoy your last few months of freedom, stay conditioned and feel confident that you're smart and will do fine there academically. Also, cut down on chicken....you'll get plenty there!:O)

Comment

ICE2DSS -- Thanks for all of the kind words! I am definitely excited to begin this great new career, and I do not forsee it wearing off soon. In reference to the internships and what not, you are right on. I had actually called around to most of the local departments to check on intern/volunteer opportunities. Though most seemed like they wanted to help, there was just not enough time to conduct a BI with my proposed departure for FLETC that soon. I am glad that it seems like "soon" to someone, because not to me! I have already completed an internship with a FLE agency, so perhaps doing another would have been redundant to some extent. Regardless, knowledge is golden and I have lots to learn.

I think that I may look into some of the online Masters programs that have accelerated courses to see if I could earn a few more credit hours before I leave. Know anyone that is really happy with their online degree experience?

Take care and thanks again.

Comment

Unfortunately I haven't done any research on online Masters programs. I recommend you only take those course if you are trying to complete your degree or for fun. I wouldn't invest the money at this point if your motivation for taking the courses is to do better at FLETC. If you already have an offer than you have proven to your agency you are smart enough. As long as you put in a little time and energy at FLETC you'll do fine. The only people I saw struggle were the ones that partied a little too much and didn't prepare for exams.

Comment

[QUOTE=ICE2DSS;963515]
                    Originally posted by redsox505 View Post
                    Ice2DSS,
                    I'd also think twice before getting shooting lessons. They are going to teach you how to shoot their way. It's easier to start from a clean slate than erase bad habits and learn a new method. I didn't have much shooting experience when I came aboard but now I consistently 96%+ for qualifications. Just keep yourself healthy, conditioned and if you get bored read a little law related to federal law enforcement.
                    Thanks for the heads up man. I will hold off. I've shot before when I was in high school but that was a while ago! Instead I will focus on staying fit. I already told our soccer coach I would not be playing all the time this season and will be offering a lot of moral support instead of supplying goals You are right about getting injured - the risk is too great. I would be crushed because everything I've done in the last 5 years has been geared towards achieving a career in DSS. Hope you guys had a great weekend!!!!

Comment

Redsox505 -- Congrats on DSS! I know a couple of guys who are former DSS Agents are they have always spoke very highly of the position. I hear it is one of the best! Stay safe with your training and keep us updated.

ICE2DSS -- The Masters degree is just something that I want to achieve. I have completed a few Graduate hours, but would now like to look into an online program because of its flexibility. I know this would not "better" me for FLETC, but it can not hurt in the long run.

I think that I may try to do a ride-a-long here and there with some of the local departments so that I see and experience more and more. But aside from that, taking your advice on law and fitness is my plan. How do you all feel about incorporating weight lifting into a FLETC preparation fitness plan? I have always coupled weight lifting with running/cardio, but I abandoned it about midway through the hiring process. I was hearing so much about just doing calisthentics and running that I dropped it all together. Currently I am running about 35+ miles a week, and then of course banging out pushups, situps and pullups daily. Some days I will throw in sprints and other random feats (ie. pushing heavy wheel-barrel loads certain distances, carrying heavy stones above my head while attempting to do short sprints, etc) that are somewhat primitive, but hey it works! Any thoughts on trading in my Flinstone routines for a gym membership?
                      Last edited by JH00; 09-09-2007, 10:39 PM.

Comment

[QUOTE=JH00;964622] Redsox505 -- Congrats on DSS! I know a couple of guys who are former DSS Agents are they have always spoke very highly of the position. I hear it is one of the best! Stay safe with your training and keep us updated.

JH00, thanks very much! I am very excited! Everything I have heard about DSS has been positive. I've talked with numerous DSS agents and all of them absolutely loved the job. I'm looking forward to the challenge of the job. I've been waiting for a dynamic, challenging and rewarding career! What agency are you joining?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12677 users online. 499 members and 12178 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X