300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DOD Police

Ive got a friend of mine who works on Kings Bay as a police officer, for the department of defense. He says the pay is great but the job can get boring. We used to work together on the street for some years. Im wondering if its a bad gig? Is it better to do it somewhere else? Anybody on here work for dod?

Its been awhile since I have been to the Sub base however if you are looking for a retirement gig then go for it. There is no such beast as the Dept. Of Defense police as it is a generic term used to identify the civilian police officers who work on military bases.

Kings Bay for the longest time allowed St. Marys police or Camden SO to handle alot of the calls on base. Im not sure if it still goes on. There is no fineable issued tickets on Kings Bay as they issue DD form 1408 armed forces traffic tickets.
    I don't answer recruitment messages....

Comment

D.o.D cop is a regular poster on this forum. I think he's former D.O.D. though. You can find him by clicking the members list link, and searching under the letter "D"
      "Think like a man of action, act like a man of thought" ~Henri Louis Bergson

ComptonPOLICEGANGS.com

Comment

Originally posted by exComptonCop View Post
        D.o.D cop is a regular poster on this forum. I think he's former D.O.D. though. You can find him by clicking the members list link, and searching under the letter "D"

I guess my 5 years for working as a civilian officer at DoD dont count?

Comment

Originally posted by police3704 View Post
          Ive got a friend of mine who works on Kings Bay as a police officer, for the department of defense. He says the pay is great but the job can get boring. We used to work together on the street for some years. Im wondering if its a bad gig? Is it better to do it somewhere else? Anybody on here work for dod?
          Have a few buddies that work at Kings Bay. Both are Lt's and are GS-9's. Even as a GS-5 to start off there, you are making at least 10K a year more in salary then the local agencies. However they hardly hire due to a small base, meaning not many officers, but they love it and they do have con-current jurisdiction with the Sheriff's office, however they do a lot of work with St. Mary's PD and Kingsland PD. Really there is not much going on there, however they just opened up their housing to the public (many bases are doing this) and they said the calls for service are going up. Not a bad gig.
          "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Comment

I have heard rumors that all USMC bases will be going to civilian police? Does anyone have any info on that.

Comment

Originally posted by tsapalmsprings View Post
              I have heard rumors that all USMC bases will be going to civilian police? Does anyone have any info on that.

Its not true. The large bases were allowed to opt out and keep MP's.

Comment

Thanks for the Info, if you hear different, let me know

Comment

Originally posted by orlandofed5-0 View Post
                  Its not true. The large bases were allowed to opt out and keep MP's.
                  Bases in Albany, Ga, Jacksonville, FL, and Beaufort area have hired Civilian Police. Jacksonville USMC base is 100% civilian police. And they are or were in the works to hire more at a few other bases.
                  "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Comment

Semper Fi.... Yes all bases are going to civilian police. They have had this in the works for quite some time. Last I heard MP's mission is going to be one where they are responsible for security in theater or in war situations. Bases have been wanting to hire large amounts of Civ Police to take over the duties.

Comment

Originally posted by irishlad2nv View Post
                      Bases in Albany, Ga, Jacksonville, FL, and Beaufort area have hired Civilian Police. Jacksonville USMC base is 100% civilian police. And they are or were in the works to hire more at a few other bases.

I know Blount Island was the first to have an all civilian force. However they still have a marine in charge of the PMO (or whatever the marines call them). But bases such as Pendleton/Quantico and a few others were given the option to opt out and keep MP's.

Comment

Originally posted by orlandofed5-0 View Post
                        I know Blount Island was the first to have an all civilian force. However they still have a marine in charge of the PMO (or whatever the marines call them). But bases such as Pendleton/Quantico and a few others were given the option to opt out and keep MP's.
                        Most bases, such as Army and even some of the Naval bases as well (Marines included) have a Military officer in charge of the Security/PMO, etc. However most of them have a civilian in charge of the civilians, such as a Police chief or a Deputy Security Director. I don't see the military taking away their Officers in charge of the Security, just their MP's, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by tsapalmsprings View Post
                          It IS true. Cherry Point, Camp Lejeune and New River will be hiring civilian police officers over th4e next 3 years to augment MP's. Ultimately, MP's will do strictly combat support.
                          Politically Correct? No.

Truthful? Yes!

Comment

Originally posted by Woofdog View Post
                            It IS true. Cherry Point, Camp Lejeune and New River will be hiring civilian police officers over th4e next 3 years to augment MP's. Ultimately, MP's will do strictly combat support.

Yes, it's true all right. Might be the best thing for local LE salaries that ever happened. A lot of local cops and deputies have already put in their apps. with the Department of the Navy/Marines. Salaries upwards of 10-20 K more on base.

Comment

All bases will eventually go civilian

The DOD police are now regionalized. Example all of the DC naval installations will answer to one person in DC area. Now remember the CO of the base is like the mayor of a community. they will dictate the rules and regulations of the installations. Army is moving in the same direction. Only Army I think will enventually turn 0083 over to 0085 security guards. As DOD regs read they have the same authority as 0083 under the CO's direction. I did DOd for three years and the rules are always changing. There will always be a grey area of arrest and the powers to be want a presence, not a proactive law enforcment agency. My advise is if you want to be a cop go to a local muncipality and if you want to make decent money and stand around then go to DOD. Now before everyone reacts to this, I know that there are some bases out there that do alot of similiar enforcement techniques as the local jurisdictions, but its not the same. Good luck to all.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4354 users online. 225 members and 4129 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X